Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just at a saturn dealer here in california and i saw a sky with a whip ant. and I was wondering if i didnt get xm radio do i then get the whip antenna? because i really dont like it. please give me feedback:confused: do you get both or just one whats the deal?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
chris67 said:
I was just at a saturn dealer here in california and i saw a sky with a whip ant. and I was wondering if i didnt get xm radio do i then get the whip antenna? because i really dont like it. please give me feedback:confused: do you get both or just one whats the deal?
you get both. the regular antenna (I think thats what you mean by whip) is for the regular am/fm stations. The small black antenna on the trunk is for both XM and Onstar.

so even if you don't get XM, they still mount the antenna on the trunk for the Onstar. you don't have a choice on the onstar.

the first thing I did was go here and buy a replacement for that whip antenna--

http://www.carccessory.com/category.asp?make=&model=&cat=Stubby Antenna

sample of one--

http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2323&d=1147825889

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey thanx USMC

BY THE WAY WILL THAT AFTERMARKET ANT. SCREW ON TO THE EXISTING BASE OR DO YOU NEED TO ALSO PURCHASE THE BASE THAT CO. OFFE:cool: RS?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I bought this one at carccessories.com, its the 'z-antenna'. gets great reception and I just had to unscrew the existing antenna and screw this one in its place.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
chris67 said:
BY THE WAY WILL THAT AFTERMARKET ANT. SCREW ON TO THE EXISTING BASE OR DO YOU NEED TO ALSO PURCHASE THE BASE THAT CO. OFFE:cool: RS?
I agree with Rocky-- just unscrewed the original one and screwed the new one in. the stock base works fine.

beware that mine doesn't get as good reception as the original. I doubt any of these stubbys will work as good as a 3 foot whip. the reception is ok, just not perfect.

just an FYI for ya

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
make sure you get one that's made for GM vehicles...even specifically Solstice or Sky. Some other brands have diffrent bases that are not compatible.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
I got a couple different varieties (they were cheap, so why not?) and they all came with "interchangeable thready things" that were made to fit different makes and models.

I can't wait to get my car back to try 'em out!

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Mine came with the whip as well. I purchased the one listed in my signature.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts