Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out whats causing the wind noise behind the driver/passengers head. I found that where the top meets up with the windshield frame, there are rubber stoppers. Just to the side of the alignment pin.
The drivers side bumper (1st pic) touches right up to the stop.
the passenger side bumper (2nd pic) there is about a 1/4-1/2 inch gap.

It also looks to me that there is too much space along the entire edge where the top meets the frame... (pics 3 and 4)

I can see quit a bit of the orange latch that secures the top. Is the gap here the same for you??
I would imagine that you should only be able to see a sliver of the orange latch but I see about 1/2 and inch of it when fully secured.

I'm hoping some of you can take a look and let me know how yours compares to mine. Its possible my top isn't aligned correctly.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
This is a bad picture, all I had was my phone handy to take it, but I just went out and checked, my latch appears to be exactly like yours, about a half an inch of the orange showing.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rocky777 said:
This is a bad picture, all I had was my phone handy to take it, but I just went out and checked, my latch appears to be exactly like yours, about a half an inch of the orange showing.
Looks like you took a pic of a UFO! lol

Thanks for checking

thats good to hear, that means mine is probably ok. Do you have alot of wind noise behind your head? I know some of the sol owners did and some didn't. Its buggin the ..... outta me cause its pretty loud when onthe freeway.

If its just something that everyone has, then I won't worry about it but I have a feeling that mine is a little louder than most.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SkyMan 07 said:
the main concern is "what does it look like from the outside? and Does it Leak?"
If it looks ok from the outside and does not leak there is no alignment problem.. sitting in my seat and looking normally I do not see any orange, but if I lean forward in a awkward positon and look up I do... I don;t think there is a problem....

you may be right, it sounds like my top alignment may be ok, but I do think there is a problem, its pretty loud. It does look ok from the outside. I haven't sprayed it down yet to check for leaks, will do this weekend during my first washing. (the cars first washing, not mine!)

how is the wind noise just behind your head for you?

·
Registered
94 Posts
yeah i have the same problem i think it comes in about 5 inches about the drivers side window if you look at the molding it goes in a little bit and u can make room to push it open with ur finger but there is no leaking...not sure if there is a way to fix it though...at least thats where i think it comes from and i am trying to ignore it because its mostly at highway speeds

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bigd2114 said:
yeah i have the same problem i think it comes in about 5 inches about the drivers side window if you look at the molding it goes in a little bit and u can make room to push it open with ur finger but there is no leaking...not sure if there is a way to fix it though...at least thats where i think it comes from and i am trying to ignore it because its mostly at highway speeds
that sounds about where mine is coming from, but it can be hard to tell exactly. I'm also wondering if its just the wind passing over the wrinkles of the buttresses. Its very hard to distinguish where its coming from. when I put my hand back there at highway speeds, I do feel a slight draft.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
usmc said:
you may be right, it sounds like my top alignment may be ok, but I do think there is a problem, its pretty loud. It does look ok from the outside. I haven't sprayed it down yet to check for leaks, will do this weekend during my first washing. (the cars first washing, not mine!)

how is the wind noise just behind your head for you?
I have a slight wind noise on the passenger side just behind the ear, and i have noticed if i spray the high pressure car was in that area there is a little seepage, but not enough to worry about...like i said i have to spray directly on it.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SkyMan 07 said:
I have a slight wind noise on the passenger side just behind the ear, and i have noticed if i spray the high pressure car was in that area there is a little seepage, but not enough to worry about...like i said i have to spray directly on it.
does the seepage appear to be about 5 inches up from the bottom corner, or lower near the bottom corner?

sounds like even though you have the wind noise, that the seal is still good. I need to do the water test to see if I get seepage.

·
Registered
170 Posts
With the top up, i have no wind noise that sounds like it shouldn't be there. I've always had convertibles so maybe i'm just used to it? Nothing sounds too loud or annoying though. I guess generally I have the radio on too, but when I mute it to talk on the phone, its not loud enough that it bothers me or anything like that.

·
Registered
94 Posts
usmc said:
does the seepage appear to be about 5 inches up from the bottom corner, or lower near the bottom corner?

sounds like even though you have the wind noise, that the seal is still good. I need to do the water test to see if I get seepage.
u will only get seapage under high pressure i just got a huge storm come through where i am in CT just drove home in my car and it was fine....its 5 in up from the back side of the drivers side window didnt look to see if its the same in the passanger side

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for all the input. I'll give it the water test this weekend, if I do have a seal problem I'm sure the water test will find it. I'll also go drive the dealer demo and see if the noise is the same.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Funny!!! Tonight was the first time I drove home with the top up. I too noticed a wind noise on the drivers side. Nothing that can't be solved with the radio turned up.

Anyway, the top is only an emergency device for rain!!!!

It's not suppose to have the top up!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well come winter, the top will be up the entire time. we get alot of rain up here in N. Cali.
I agree though, and I do have top down most of the time. I have an hour-1.5 hour commute every morning. I leave at 4am so having the top down at that hour really isn't an option. If this wasn't my daily driver then I probably wouldn't really care about the noise/draft but it is.
anyway, if its a real problem then I can get the dealer to fix it, if its just normal issue with the sky then maybe I can develop my own fix. All your input is very helpful

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm trying to get rid of the wind noise with the TOP DOWN.... LOL

·
Registered
669 Posts
usmc,
I have the exact same gap space that you have...more on the passenger side.
I also have a "large" gap on the driver's side at the back of the window. In fact, the top does not come down and forward into the "lock space" (wish I knew the correct term).
I think the problem is that the rocker arm inside the top has come unconnected. The dealer knows about the problem and has a new rocker arm to put in, but he said it would take about two days to do the repair and I'm not ready to part with the car for that long yet. :)
It's too dark to take pictures tonight, but I'll do so in the morning and post them.
Funny thing is, we've had some torrential rains here but I haven't had any leaks inside...when you see the pictures, you won't be able to believe that.
Until tomorrow...

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
pm01862 said:
I'm trying to get rid of the wind noise with the TOP DOWN.... LOL
That is your passenger talking....:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
wow, thats a huge gap behind the window. I would get that fixed soon.

I did alot of reading over on the sol forum this morning and it appears that the wind noise issue is very common behind the driver/passengers head area.

There have been a variety of fixes which I will try. If all else fails, I will have the dealer replace the seals. Some of the sol owners had to have this done and once they did, all wind noise was gone.

after reading all the sol wind noise issues and reading some of our issues, I'm convinced that what I am hearing is not normal.

also developed a new problem this morning... the vent seems to be stuck open. Air is flowing freely thru the dash vents when the car is moving. At freeway speeds it actually flows thru so fast that it feels like I have the fan on.

Going to have a long list for the dealer :willy:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts