Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my windows slit on my jeep twice so i currently don't lock my doors, or keep anything valuable at all in there anymore. I was originally thinking it'd be nice to lock the doors on this car, but what if they cut the top? So my question is how many of you lock your doors when car's top is up/down? and have any of you had any issues with top cutting/attemtped burglaries?

also anyone know how much a replacement top would be?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I don't really think it makes much sense to lock the doors actually. Of course, I would recommend that nothing of any value be kept in plain sight either.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
MattBrenner03 said:
I have had my windows slit on my jeep twice so i currently don't lock my doors, or keep anything valuable at all in there anymore. I was originally thinking it'd be nice to lock the doors on this car, but what if they cut the top? So my question is how many of you lock your doors when car's top is up/down? and have any of you had any issues with top cutting/attemtped burglaries?

also anyone know how much a replacement top would be?
I keep ZERO dollars deductible comprehensive insurance and lock the doors..

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I lock the doors top up or down. First off it disables the ignition and it will tell me if someone has been trying to get in.

I don't worry too much about top cutting as Sunni is rarely parked top up in a place where things like this happen....

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Lock the doors? Always, it takes no time.

Also if I leave the car parked with the top up as I often do, I will roll up the windows to help prevent people who may decide to get too close of a look at the Sky. I never put anything of value within reach and if there is any bags or anything in the car i place them far down on the passenger side under the dashboard.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
I have also had my top slit on a Miata, an important lesson about leaving things in plain sight, but not about locking the doors. I doubt it would have happened if there was nothing visible.

Most thiefs are opportunists. If nothing is visible and you leave your car unlocked, many thiefs will go in to check the glove compartment and under the seats, and pop the trunk. As they walk by a car, the first thing they do is check the door handle, not look inside.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ernest said:
I lock it with the top down to activate the system, it notifies when someone unlocks and opens the door.
what notifies you? does this come stock?

·
Registered
7 Posts
It is very important to ALWAYS lock your doors if you have theft insurance. I had one of my old car's broken into before and one of the first things the police and insurance agent checked was whether the doors were locked or not. They said the insurance company would not cover the loss if the doors were unlocked but would cover as much as they could (that New York would allow) if they were locked.

A good practice is to never leave any valuables in any car/truck/vehicle, and to always lock your doors because things happen when you least expect them.

Just my 2 Cents.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
MattBrenner03 said:
When you lock your doors (key fob) you set the security system - it disables the ignition and fuel. Also, it will beep the horn if someone opens a door etc. Ater a while the horn will reset.
If, while you were away someone say opened a door -- when you unlock the car will chirp at you -- I think 3 times, telling you that someone was in there. It is all covered in teh owners manual:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Ernest said:
I lock it with the top down to activate the system, it notifies when someone unlocks and opens the door.
keep in mind, top down.. doors locked does nothing when I jump over the door and land in your passenger seat, use my flat head screwdriver to pop the mighty sky glove box and open the trunk... and there I go running down the street with your set of mini golf clubs that you ordered special to fit in the sky trunk! :D

I think I'll eventually get one of those motion sensing alarms you guys have been talking about.

·
Registered
478 Posts
My doors are always locked, top up or down.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
usmc said:
keep in mind, top down.. doors locked does nothing when I jump over the door and land in your passenger seat, use my flat head screwdriver to pop the mighty sky glove box and open the trunk... and there I go running down the street with your set of mini golf clubs that you ordered special to fit in the sky trunk! :D

I think I'll eventually get one of those motion sensing alarms you guys have been talking about.
That's providing you know anything of value is even in the trunk and/or that there might be an alarm system. You are too energetic and smart to be a thief -- They operate on See-take.
Car theives (to steal the whole thing) shop...

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
If anybody wants it bad enough they will take it no matter what kind of system you have....Skip...:lol: :)

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Doors always locked (except when the car is parked in my driveway where I can see it) whether the top is up or down. Like a few others said, I do it in order to set the alarm system that disables the ignition/fuel systems. I never keep valuables in my car. I figure if they are pros, they will just end up stealing the whole car anyways. That's what insurance is for, I guess.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
MattBrenner03 said:
The horn goes off, perhaps I didn't word that correctly. But it stills lets me know something is amiss. I really have fun with this at the dealer when my car is on display.:lol:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Last time I checked with my parts dept, replacement roof assembly is:
$1715.74 for Black or
$2467.50 for Tan
Those were retail prices, not sure why the descrepancy but I believe they include the entire assembly, not just the cloth part.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
GMinTheDriveway said:
Last time I checked with my parts dept, replacement roof assembly is:
$1715.74 for Black or
$2467.50 for Tan
Those were retail prices, not sure why the descrepancy but I believe they include the entire assembly, not just the cloth part.

Thank God fer insurance!!!!:thumbs:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts