Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you need a clear bra if you live in an area with tradational seasons, driving in all weather conditions? I've seen the pics and can tell they aren't very noticeable, which i like, but don't know if it's necessary.

How many of you have bad front ends from rocks and bugs and wish you would have gotten one? also my other concern is that if i take it off in a few yars that it might have a different color where the paint and the line of the bra meet...that would be bad. I wonder if it would just be worth re-painting in 5 or 6 years than putting the money into the bra? any suggestions? would appreciate help from people with and without them. thanks everyone.

on a side note now i'm moved to number 4 on my dealer list for RL, which is exciting, but i'm sure it's a long road ahead. I just hope i get it by may for graduation time, who knows though.

·
Registered
514 Posts
yes with the current enviromentally safer paint (mostly water based) its a must. Chipping is much more common than the 90's, pay now or pay later. You'll notice more Orange Peel in today's paint compared to a decade ago.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes with the current enviromentally safer paint (mostly water based) its a must. Chipping is much more common than the 90's, pay now or pay later. You'll notice more Orange Peel in today's paint compared to a decade ago.
what is orange peel?

·
Registered
388 Posts
After a week of driving we had 4 paint chips on the front of our car. Toy4two is right about the environmentally friendly paint which is used now. It is very brittle so it chips easily. We got the clear bra from Kappashere (ventureshield) and we are very happy. Our front end would have been torn up in no time at the rate we were going. Since we had our bra put on we've had no more chips. The bra seems to be holding up nicely (no pun intended). $465 for the bra, $300 for installation. We felt it was better to spend the money now to protect it rather than let it get thrashed from rocks and pay for a new paint job in 4-5 years. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
One thing to keep in mind. Im sure you will be taking many road trips with your baby and you will want to keep that front end looking good. I personal know of a Sol owner who does not have one and he has gotten some hits that have chipped his paint.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nearly 1000 bucks seems really steep though, man i wish it was cheaper. How much is the 3m bra? and did the dealer install it for you?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I wish I had gotten the bra before I got the two rock chips on the leading edge of the hood. :banghead:

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Why get a bra for a topless car>? :lol: :lol: Forgive me. I couldn't help it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Here's something I saw on Ebay but it's not there right now. I don't know if its the same or similar but it sure is cheaper. It's item number 110029216566.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Here it is currently. Just look up Saturn Sky 2007 Invisible Paint Protection Bra on ebay.:)

·
Registered
653 Posts
Just so that everybody knows....$1000 is pretty steep IMO. You can get a paint job on just the front end of the car for about that. I'd much rather keep that $1000 in a bank, or somewhere gaining some interest, and then maybe have to repaint the car 4-5 years down the road. Also, there are a lot of other ways to keep chips off the car. A really good coat of wax will help a lot. Also, not driving right behind large trucks or SUVs will make all the difference in the world. Leaving plenty of space between you and the car ahead (i.e. not tailgaiting, staying just a few car lengths back is usually enough for small rocks to fall below your car).

I mean, I understand the whole idea of the clear bra, and I think it's cool that you can't see it on any of those cars, but $500 just for the materials is incredibly expensive. It's basically just a clear vinyl, right? Even if it's cut to the right shape for the cars, you're still only looking at about $100 in material, plus about 5 minutes of time on a vinyl cutter. Decent accessory, WAY overpriced IMO.

·
Registered
188 Posts
nearly 1000 bucks seems really steep though, man i wish it was cheaper. How much is the 3m bra? and did the dealer install it for you?
Its a personal choice as is the windscreen. I've got the 3M bra glad I "invested", it was $700 total at a 3M dealer. I had the hood, front bumper, mirrors, front lights and rear wells done. I do alot of driving to work 500miles/wk so for me it was a must after seeing the effects of my last car. So far its great and easy to clean up the bugs to boot. Hope that helps!

p.s. the material is tricky dont know that I would try to do it myself (air bubbles etc)

·
Registered
804 Posts
Why get a bra for a topless car>? :lol: :lol: Forgive me. I couldn't help it.
Glad you said it first...
I told my wife we needed to look for a clear bra and she just mutterd "men...". I even tried to explain, but the damage was done...guess telling her I want to look under her bonnet won't make since either.:lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts