Saturn Sky Forum banner

Do you park your Sky with the top up or top down?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a question for all the people out there that are lucky enough to already be driving their Sky's. You've had some time for the first drive jitters to drive off :lol: so when you leave your car parked somewhere, do you put the top up or do you leave it down?

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I know I was a little afraid to leave the top off of my Tee-top at first. Lazyness took over the fear after a few hot days and a few short trips into the mall. Of course with all the people I hear are gathering around member Sky's I have to assume the car will probably be safe from anyone who might do my car any harm.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a 2004 Jeep Rubicon. At first I never went shopping with the top down. Now days I do it all the time. I lock everything up or take it with me.
So....when I get my Sky will I do the same......I don't know.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Up, and in the last row away from everything:thumbs: The thing I am concerned about besides people thinking they can just get in it:brentil: is the bird poop and wind blown dirty stuff (leaves , seeds, trash) and I, do keep a couple things in mine like a portable MP3 player (just got a new one my 1999 model just didn't cut it anymore... long live Napster):thumbs:

That's just my position at this point:D

·
Registered
420 Posts
I chose "Are you nuts!" but...

hmm, I'm assuming you mean "Of course!" to be parking with the top down & "Are you nuts!" to be parking with the top up.

I think there should be a third choice, "Depends on the situation."

I would have chosen that one because I would only park with the top down IF I'm going to be right out, say less than 10 minutes, or parked where I can keep an eye on the car (like sitting on a patio at a restaurant for example).
In this day and age you never know some jerk might walk by and throw something inside.

Also, when I do park with the top down, I usually roll up both of my windows. This helps to prevent people from trying to reach inside and unlock the door or open the glovebox or whatever.
And what if the weather suddenly changed for the worse or there's lots of dirt/construction/etc. around and it's windy that day. Better to come back to a clean, protected interior rather than a dirty one. Then there's also the issue of fading of the interior and hot leather seats when parked in the sun for extended periods of time with the top down.

So for all these reasons, and not having the third choice of "Depends on the situation" I would almost always rather park with the top up. If that makes me nuts then so be it. :D

Yes yes I'm overprotective of my baby...LOL!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
At night when I am done for the day, I put the top up.... during the day at work, I put the top up, but on the weekends and wherever I am, I leave the top down and have learned to roll up the windows, so people don't lean into the car. People are so weird doing that to someone else's car... it kind of creeps me out. So top down, windows up.

·
Registered
478 Posts
RedSky2night said:
Up, and in the last row away from everything:thumbs: The thing I am concerned about besides people thinking they can just get in it:brentil: is the bird poop and wind blown dirty stuff (leaves , seeds, trash) and I, do keep a couple things in mine like a portable MP3 player (just got a new one my 1999 model just didn't cut it anymore... long live Napster):thumbs:

That's just my position at this point:D
If I'll be away from the car briefly AND if I can keep it in sight, I'll leave the top down. Otherwise, top up, windows up and doors locked.

·
Registered
304 Posts
If it's out of sight and I won't be around for a couple hours than top up. Otherwise down.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,287 Posts
Me Too

Angelqute1 said:
At night when I am done for the day, I put the top up.... during the day at work, I put the top up, but on the weekends and wherever I am, I leave the top down and have learned to roll up the windows, so people don't lean into the car. People are so weird doing that to someone else's car... it kind of creeps me out. So top down, windows up.
Pretty much the way I do it too. That's why I chose are you nuts, because we got the car to have the top down. It only goes up when I will leave it alone for a long period of time, otherwise its down. :thumbs:

In other words "Are you nuts, DOWN Of course."

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Top down. Always. Even when parked under a tree that is shedding little yellow blossomy things.

I paid three thousand dollars for my interior motion alarm, and I'm gonna get every penny's worth out of the damned thing!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Top Up

I left the top down once and as I looked back at my Sky I saw a couple with their hands on the door top looking at the interior. Scary! I immedate thought about what rings they had on and what kind of damage to the paint they could do! I did return to my Sky to put the top up and I have never left the top down when parking the car since.

I have even had a 17 year old kid just jump into the car at the dealership while I was in the service department! :eek: I went back to the car a told the kid to get out and the salesman said he just wanted to see if he fit...:mad: I told him this is a privately owned car not the dealership's car and he should know better.

About your survey...Whattt? the way you have worded this doesn't leave me much of a choice to make.
What ever happened to a simple answer of Yes or No?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I chose "Are you nuts".....because I think I can deal with almost anything except for bird poop. That's the main reason I wanted leather seats - so I could get rid of errant bird poop if I had the misfortune to be splatted. Yuck.:willy:

·
Registered
203 Posts
It definitely depends on the situation. Two hours in a movie theater: top up. Quick trip to Lowe's to haul lumber: top down. JUST KIDDING ABOUT THE HAULING LUMBER!

But I have to admit that I would never expect the dealer to let somebody jump in my car.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
rick112 said:
Here's a question for all the people out there that are lucky enough to already be driving their Sky's. You've had some time for the first drive jitters to drive off :lol: so when you leave your car parked somewhere, do you put the top up or do you leave it down?
I didn;t vote in the pole because I cannot decipher what those answers mean...
But it does depend on when and where i park it... and how long i will be gone from the car... Ususally if it is in sight, like when we go to a resturant , I will leave it with the top down but the windows up and the car locked...
but if i go to the movies and will be gone from it for a couple hours the top goes up, or anyting it may look like it might rain before i get back...
In other words, there is not right or wrong answer to this, just what you feel comfortable doing at the time you park it...

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Can't figure out what you want...:confused:

We have no choices -- either vote could be either way

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I added a few choices, rick112, and hopefully clarified the choices.

If it was too confusing, or more than a handful chose the wrong answer, I can strip the poll out and re-do it, allowing everyone to re-vote.

My answer was mostly top up in the cars that I've driven that are 'verts, occasionally top down if it's quick and the weather looks decent, BUT I've learned my lesson:

Goose crap is HARD to clean out of carpet and between the seat and console (Lotus Elan).

Birdjay crap from an area with lots of choke cherries is HARD to clean out of the heater vent (Austin Healy).

It's OK for the inside of a friend's borrowed S2000 to get a LITTLE wet. It's NOT OK to have it sit for 15 minutes in a torrential downpour. Turns out it is possible to have the top mechanism/drive motor electricals fail because of water...

It's OK to have an actuaintence's borrowed miata sit out with the top down on a sunny afternoon at a friend's place that is relatively secure, but NOT at a party with obscene amounts of alcohol available to all the participants. Lest you get a recreation of the infamous CaddyShack scene. Vomit itself is not difficult to clean up. The SMELL is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to remove. I found you must let it "wear off..." It takes about 2 weeks to accomplish this.:willy: :eek:

Most of the time, it's worth the xtra effort to put the top up. For me.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Situational

If I am in a resturant and can see the car -- leave it down. If I can not see it -- depends - usually if it is a free-standing building (its own lot) I'll leave it down.
If I am in and out of a store 15-min to 1/2 hour -- leave it wide open
Out of my sight for too long (EG: a movie) -- lid is on.. In fact I most likely would not bring it. I'll change cars later (Most movie house we go to are <15 from my house)

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
RedSky07 said:
I left the top down once and as I looked back at my Sky I saw a couple with their hands on the door top looking at the interior. Scary! I immedate thought about what rings they had on and what kind of damage to the paint they could do! I did return to my Sky to put the top up and I have never left the top down when parking the car since.

I have even had a 17 year old kid just jump into the car at the dealership while I was in the service department! :eek: I went back to the car a told the kid to get out and the salesman said he just wanted to see if he fit...:mad: I told him this is a privately owned car not the dealership's car and he should know better.

About your survey...Whattt? the way you have worded this doesn't leave me much of a choice to make.
What ever happened to a simple answer of Yes or No?
Yes or No? You're no fun! Sorry for any confusion though!

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
It seems that iffen yall have a clean car that it attracts birds and poop, so top up if the sky is parked. A small amount of time and no trees around to hide the little demons of the sky, pun intended, top down. Hot as hell outside top up and A/C on. So it comes down to the birds ,the weather, and how I feel that particular moment.....Skip....finicky...:cool: :cool:

·
Super Moderator
11,446 Posts
Top up if I'm going to be out of earshot of the alarm. I have the motion sensing alarm too so long as I can hear that I'm golden. Otherwise, top up. You never know what may happen to the car with the top down.

Oh, and also where there are known to be a number of birds...yea...goose crap on a car is bad enough...I can only imagine it in the interior.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts