Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! this is only my second post and im very happy to be here. I am just really disapointed in saturn and wanted to know others opinions. I really love the sky. I think the styling is superior to almost every other roadster on the road. But saturn is crazy!!! The dealers are jacking up prices. OTD, i notice many people are paying 27-30K. Now with saturn coming out with the RL, the car can likely go over 30k with TTL and options. This means you could get a S2K or a Z4 for around the same price. With such limited availability, Is anyone fed up with saturn?? Nothing personal to anyone but this is my own opinion, i want one very badly, but i dont know if im willing to pay almost 30K for a saturn!!!! I know it is impossible but i wonder if saturn made the car more available and alittle less expensive, would people be even more interested in it?
EX:
23,500 is for the base model. If they made leather and chrome wheels standard, Auto trans $0 additional charge, and the only option was the radio, i think this would be more appealing.
EX: RL

27,000 for a fully loaded RL.

Whats your opinions. And BTW, in no way am i trying to bash saturn or offend anyone.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
The Red Line will probably be an all around better car than the S2000 or the Z4 all things considered. And certainly more in demand due to the very limited production. The RL will have more HP than the S2000 and pretty much the same as the Z4, but with superior styling. Why shouldn't they be priced about the same.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
DropTop2 said:
i dont know if im willing to pay almost 30K for a saturn!!!!
Do you think the Corvette folks say, "I don't know if I'm willing to pay almost 60K for a chevy!!!!!!!!"

I mean, you can get a Porsche or a Mercedes for that...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
most definitely i do agree with your comments, but Honda and BMW are far superior names than saturn. I usually dont care about names but wouldn't you go with the more reliable name brand than a more inferior brand?

And for the same price as the redline, you could get a power hardtop G6 convertible. if they could put a power roof in the g6, i dont understand why GM couldn't do the same for the solstice/sky.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
ggccg said:
all around better car than the S2000 or the Z4 all things considered.
I don't agree with you that the Sky is a better car than the S2000 or the Z4. The Sky is a better looking car! The many people have commented that the finishes are cheap. Little details like the cup holder breaking, fuel gage set way to far back and the colour of the gages making them hard to read. The eurgonomics of the car are off. Then we get into HP. And how about no power roof? The storage capacity is only good if you want to haul sand or water! The Sky is a great car for the money! The designers did a great job first time around meeting their goals. The car looks great and competes against the Miata. The issues have been confused because the car is so dam good looking. It's attracted a lot of people who want more in a car!

As for droptop2's comments about Saturn. Here's the way I see it. Saturn has never had a car that attracted people like this car does. They are attracting a whole new group of people into the showroom. And some of the dealers can't handle it. Heck some of them have completely messed the point of the Sky!

The Sky is a limited production (flag ship) vehicle. It's ment to bring people into the show room. NEW people. People like me what would never have concidered purchasing a Saturn product before. And it's worked. They got me and a lot of other people in.

So this is their chance to shine. To show people what Saturn is all about! To make me want to buy an Aura or an Outlook! Instead some of these dealers are choosing to jack up prices take some quick cash and leave customers with a feeling like they have been screwed.

For those that don't feel totally screwed, the ones who really do have good dealers (and there are lots), many feel neglected because they don't get called back. The dealers have dropped the ball on customer service by not keeping the customer informed (me included). You may have noticed I've had my car on order for months and I've had to chase people to get answers. My dealer knew less than I did. When he found out my car had a build date he didn't call me!

The dealers arn't the only ones at fault here! Saturn has a lot to do with it. I have to buy two cars this year. I looked at the Outlook and I really liked what I saw. Even the Aura would have been interesting. I picked up another Escape instead! I was very doubtful of Saturns ability to deliver on time. My Sky has been on order since January (six months). How am I supposed to think it will be different with the Outlook or the Aura.

Don't even get me started on the Saturn customer service people!

In the end I expect to get a great car for the money. A car that will likely have a lot of 3rd party products to make it unique. A limited production car that will grab peoples attention. A great driving fun summer car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It worked for me!

rick112 said:
..... They got me and a lot of other people in.

So this is their chance to shine. To show people what Saturn is all about! To make me want to buy an Aura or an Outlook! .....
My wife has riden to the dealership sevral times for various reasons and has been talking about the OUTLOOK to replace of Expedition. My GM says that it should be available in Nov. I haven't bet the bank on that delivery date, but it is not meant to be a gotta have it now vehicle and most certainly won't be a limited production model.

Had I not bouht the SKY, the wife would have never even thought to consider Saturn.

·
Registered
438 Posts
My car was MSRP... Dealership was great...and the car is better than I could have dreamed of for the price! ($26,000 and change)

Like anything you buy in life...if you are not satisfied...move on to a different dealership or a different product.

The RL will go 0-60 in 5.5...That's great if you are into that, I am pleased to wait another second and a half to get there (0-60 in 7.0) and save the extra money! I love this car and people can nit pick about every damn button that is an inch too far back or cup holder that is flimsy or I'm to much of a pompus ass to be seen manualy putting up or down a rag top and get your "status" car and move on!

I have had expensive cars that came with the same or different issues! This manual top goes up in 5 seconds if you have an I.Q. above 75, so if that is your breaking point...I will gladly wave at you in your BMW or HONDA, but I guarentee...you will be gawking at my car when you pass...and I will be laughing at you from my SKY!!

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
rick112 said:
I don't agree with you that the Sky is a better car than the S2000 or the Z4.
Re-read. I said the RED LINE would be a better car with better or comparable HP than the S2000 or Z4 and better styling.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
ishot3bucks said:
or I'm to much of a pompus ass to be seen manualy putting up or down a rag top and get your "status" car and move on!

I have had expensive cars that came with the same or different issues! This manual top goes up in 5 seconds if you have an I.Q. above 75, so if that is your breaking point...I will gladly wave at you in your BMW or HONDA, but I guarentee...you will be gawking at my car when you pass...and I will be laughing at you from my SKY!!
WHOA...Burn!!! Nice, I like it.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I had a great experiance at my dealer......

My dealer is selling me my car at MSRP and has been great about keeping me informed. Just like anything, shop around get a feeling for the dealership and your salesperson and if you dont like what you hear.....move on.:cool:

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Dealers

I have one of the best dealers in the world, he workrd with me finding out what was going on with my SKY, and sold at MSRP. In years pasted I have owned A/H 100-6.. TR3A, Spitfire, and so on. All had manual tops, cars which were the life blood of the roadster...basic roadsters that most all has read or hear stories about..Not the stories like the day my BMW's top took 10 sec to power up...you want real is manual top real roadster....Seal9:cheers: :lol:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
ishot3bucks said:
The RL will go 0-60 in 5.5...That's great if you are into that, I am pleased to wait another second and a half to get there (0-60 in 7.0) and save the extra money! I love this car and people can nit pick about every damn button that is an inch too far back or cup holder that is flimsy or I'm to much of a pompus ass to be seen manualy putting up or down a rag top and get your "status" car and move on!
:agree: Here here

·
Registered
154 Posts
Well Stated

agirltrucker said:
:agree: Here here
I agree With your agreement!!!!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
We have had this discussion in various forms , many times. If you want a Sky and want to spend the money, irregardless of add-ons or mark-ups, you will buy it.Every manufacturer has low price and high price cars. Some seem worth it, others don't. If you think it's not worth it, walk away. My dealer added $2000 to the list and I didn't really care, I wanted a Sky and I got mine. I felt it was worth it to me. This is a whole new ballgame for Saturn, they have never had a car like this before. And, by the way, my dealer was totally honest and upfront about everything. We have a great realationship.

·
Registered
62 Posts

I'm going in to the dealership today to "hopefully" place "THE" order on the RL. I'm number three on the list for the RL with the deposit and since the prices are out I'm going to finalize with them. My disappointment is still wrapped around the idea that my salesman didn't get back to me and call to tell me to get my rear down there to place the order. I had to make the call and then didn't get a response until I went down there last night and "caught" him before he went home!!!! Thanks to this forum I knew the prices where out and let them know that I had the information also. I have to agree with some of the comments regarding their inability to deal with folks who are excited about this vehicle and stay plugged in to the status of the vehicle. I also believe that they have a bit of a fear regarding taking orders and making any kind of promise. My dealership told me that they were only going to get 7 RLs on an "initial" offering. As I said, I'm number 3. Or at least they said I'm number 3!!!! Pardon my paranoia but...as my hubby says, "You never know what deal they made with someone else who was a buddy or willing to pay more. You wouldn't be the wiser."

Hopefully, I won't be disappointed today when I go down there, i.e. no jacking up the price beyond what I've figured out based on the new prices released. If it goes higher than what I've costed out, I'll have a hard time seeing the value even if I'm madly in love with the lines and feel of the car. Okay, don't shoot me but I also have to keep in mind that the vehicle is having some mechanical problems--beyond the cosmetic stuff. I read everything ya'll post!!!!! After that I do more research. Why are there so many problems? New car and there will be issues even if some of the car has been out on the market. Are they trying to manufacture them to fast and cutting corners? Poor engineering? Bad parts? Or is it OUR manufacturing process and quality control issues? I'm also concerned when the customer knows more about the car and the associated problems than the dealerships. Scary, yet thrilling in a bizzare way! Excitement over a "new" gorgeous vehicle sometimes blinds us.

Thanks for letting me write out the fears and concerns--even if you might not agree with them. lol I'm ready for the dealership!!!! PLEASE let them be reasonable. I've already done all the calling to surrounding states and I don't want to be at the bottom of the list!!! To be honest, I did drive every single two seater that is currently out there. I loved the 350Z, the Honda, and the Z4...I kept coming back to the SKY, so I'm just as "lovesick" over this thing as most of ya'll. My car song, James B.'s "You're Beautiful."

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hi MonyGone,

I don't get the same impression that you have that there are "so many problems"... perhaps you are new to automotive forums where the slightest squeek in one persons car gets analyzed over and over by all... but if you'll look at virtually every make of car out there and their forums will basically report the same types of things.

Good luck with your dealer! The Sky Red Line will be truly an amazing vehicle well worth the price AND the wait.

·
Registered
62 Posts
You're right. I've been to a few of the forums but most are for cars that are in their third generation or more. I love the fact that everyone is sharing the info--example: tire rub and the "whine" issues as the "biggies." I mentioned tire rub to the dealer yesterday and he looked at me like I was from Mars! Because of ya'll I know what to look for and what to ask. Much appreciated!

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,570 Posts
DropTop2 said:
Hi everyone! this is only my second post and im very happy to be here. I am just really disapointed in saturn and wanted to know others opinions. I really love the sky. I think the styling is superior to almost every other roadster on the road. But saturn is crazy!!! The dealers are jacking up prices. OTD, i notice many people are paying 27-30K. Now with saturn coming out with the RL, the car can likely go over 30k with TTL and options. This means you could get a S2K or a Z4 for around the same price. With such limited availability, Is anyone fed up with saturn?? Nothing personal to anyone but this is my own opinion, i want one very badly, but i dont know if im willing to pay almost 30K for a saturn!!!! I know it is impossible but i wonder if saturn made the car more available and alittle less expensive, would people be even more interested in it?
EX:
23,500 is for the base model. If they made leather and chrome wheels standard, Auto trans $0 additional charge, and the only option was the radio, i think this would be more appealing.

Whats your opinions. And BTW, in no way am i trying to bash saturn or offend anyone.
K, so $23,500 for a base SKY including auto, chrome rims and leather... the same for an S2000 which only comes in a manual with leather and plain alloy *no chrome avail* rims is $34,600. 10 grand more for no auto, no chrome, no onstar etc???

Or the Z4 which starts at $36,295 including dest. charge. They have 6 special colors for 475 extra out of 9 total... *Saturn has 1 special color out of 8 total & charges only $195*... Fully automatic top is $795... but since the sky has no auto top, we won't add that in... they don't even include leather in their base price... add regular blue or black leather for $850... add red, tan and another black leather for $1150. Add Sport Button, 17" alloys and sport suspension for one grand but won't since it is not a similar option on the SKY which includes 18" alloys anyway and you want chrome included. You do want the auto which for the Z4 is 1275 and would have only been about 900 on the sky but included in your scenario.

Add BMW SOS for 750 which doesn't even compare with OnStar that is included in the SKY... There is an optional rim for 2725 which is still not chrome unlike the other chrome available from Saturn for less. Total is $39,645 for items to make it compareable to your hope of a $23,500 SKY with extras.

So... the sky to me is an EXCEPTIONAL value already.

Now to Saturn itself. The SKY is my third Saturn. Everyone at the retailer knows me by name... not only the service staff, but every sales person, the receptionists, the cash office people, the parts, the service techs, the GM and finance guy... even the back office staff. The GM's *both the previous and the new one* say hello if they see me and ask how I am doing. While I know they don't know every customer they have had in the same manner... they seem to remember a surprising amount of people that come through their doors.

I have also had plenty of pleasent dealings Saturn Corp people. Mostly at sport compact car shows... but speaking to corporate managers and even a VP or two has been great. When I had a timing issue with warranty work on a brake job... Saturn, the retailer and I were able to work it out. While what I wanted didn't happen 100%... I understood their reasoning.

I have not had any problems with the construction or dependability of my Saturns. When my engine siezed it was my fault. It was -20 out and I just started my engine and drove *too fast*... not letting the oil warm up. So it got sucked through all geled.

To say Honda is better quality wise is also a misnomer... I have known Hondas that die after 50,000 miles even with perfect maintenence... and Saturns have lasted over 400,000 miles with just less then perfect maintenence scheduling.

Saturns customer service record not only is from the sales experience... but from their service experience. The cost of owning a Saturn is lower then Honda and BMW... and the service staff at most locations is better then at Ferrari.

Also, just my thoughts and opinions... with some FACT thrown in. :jester: :thumbs:

·
Registered
104 Posts
DropTop2 said:
EX:

As Nancy Regan was wont to say, "just say no" Then you can be really smart and wait till 2008 model year when all the bugs a worked out and Saturn has made some improvements. Don't panic, walk don't run.:willy:

It isn't SATURN, it's SATURN RETAILERS that are playing blackbeard. Basically, all Car dealers are opertunistic scumbags and Saturn retailers are simply the best of the worst.:cool:

Go to saturnfans.com, they maintain a list of Saturn retailers who are not pumping up prices. Finally, the General Manager of Saturn Division, General Motors Corperation, has publicly stated that price gouging will not happen At Saturn Retailers. I love this woman but the law is not on her side. But, as we say in NY, "it couldn't hurt", E-mail her. Good Luck.:rolleyes: :chill:

PS: if worst comes to worst, the SKY is well worth waiting for.

·
Registered
104 Posts
DropTop2 said:
EX:

:rolleyes:
Offend anyone, don't be silly, why if you could create that kind of price structure, i'd vote for you if you ran for the govener of texas. Of course I live in NY. Yes I think the price would even more appealing.:banghead:

Well, I've got to go now, I promised Dorothy we would meet at the wizards castle. the wiz says he can get us back to kansas this afternoon. Come on Toto. Ok Kato, step on it and just follow the yellow brick road.:jester:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts