Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys I was wondering ....
I went to do a test drive of the new eclipse and I notice that it lowered the window a little bit automatically when you open the door... so it doesn't damage the sealing thing....
just like the vet does..

any owner can answer this?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Sure the door wasn't just loose? Just kidding.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
azote said:
hey guys I was wondering ....
I went to do a test drive of the new eclipse and I notice that it lowered the window a little bit automatically when you open the door... so it doesn't damage the sealing thing....
just like the vet does..

any owner can answer this?
Ok Here we go . Push window button down. rrrrr. Open the door. How hard to do manually instead of programing a chip to do for you. We ain't haven to roll down window manually. Really. Besides you get to sit in the sky a little longer. Skip, no lazy ol man.:cheers: :cheers: :lol:

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
It's called "indexing glass", and convertibles like the Z4, SSR do it. before the door opens, and just after it closes, the glass "indexes" a little to disengage the glass from the seal.

I wouldn't expect it on the Solstice.

·
Registered
36 Posts
A friend's Mercedes does that too, and I thought it was so when you close the door it doesn't cause a huge pressure wave of air on your ears. Cars that are nice and tight do that, my old Beretta didn't, my friends F-150 does. My ears hurt whenever someone is opening and closing the doors.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Corvette's have window indexing too. Not found on the Sky and Solstice though. It's way to keep a tigher fit of the top and glass. You can design the top to allow window glass to travel under without having to lower; this is what we have with our Sky cars.

·
Registered
380 Posts
KappaMan said:
It's called "indexing glass", and convertibles like the Z4, SSR do it. before the door opens, and just after it closes, the glass "indexes" a little to disengage the glass from the seal.

I wouldn't expect it on the Solstice.
My Z4 does that & I really never knew why. I discovered why with my Sky. I'm not sure its about protecting the seal? This Sky is tight. If you do not slam the door hard the compression keeps the door from closing all the way and you get a "door ajar" message. I have since found it best to lower the window a hair and closing the door gently.

·
Registered
162 Posts
My PT Cruiser has the indexing windows also. I like that. I have a 99 sunfire, 93 and 94 Mercury capri's that use compression for sealing and in a hard down pour they all leak like a sieve.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Does It Lower......?

SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT FEATURE,BUT I DOUBT SKY HAS IT. MAYBE THEY WILL DEVELOPE A MECHANISM TO CLOSE THE DOORS WHEN YOU CLOSE THE HOOD. :thumbs:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts