Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having second and third thoughts about the Sky.

For anyone who's gonna say i'm not a Sky fanatic, F off!
I love the styling of this car more than any other car EVER! However, I HAVE to get a new car within 6 months and it doesn't sound like it CAN be the Sky. No, I don't have a deposit down, but my dealer is assuring my I can get one since he said they are getting 6 a month (which we all know is BS). PLUS I don't like hearing all of you who havn't heard a word from your dealers.

I first saw this car over 2 years ago when everyone else did, and was in love with it. However, I didn't even know they were taking deposits on it, or how limited it was. Call me lazy, uninformed, whatever. I wasn't in the market for a new car at that time so I didn't follow up on it.

Here's where the crazy part comes in. I have some pro's and cons about the Sky as I do with the Sol and any other car.

I LOVE the Sky's front end, and its sharp scoop in the side.
I HATE and yes I mean HATE the back end. I feel it is childish and the chrome on the tails really doesn't do anything for me.

I DISLIKE the Sol's front end (mainly the lack of a higher center air-dam)
I LOVE the Sol's rear end. It's taillights are what they should be on the Sky. I think they look sooo much better since they run up the length of the car, as opposed the the Sky's which go across the width of the back end.

SOL really is cheaper than Sky. I priced out a Sol with leather, polished wheels, cheap sound (the 200$ one) LSD and it came to around $23,000 (which don't you all forget, doesn't include TAX which brings it to around $25,500.

If they say the Sky will start at around $23,500, you can add in the $200 LSD and the $750 Leather and you get 24,445 or 26,460 after tax (California is soo lovely..)...

So yeh it's not much, but I am having these second thoughts for so many reasons. I'm falling in love with the man's Grey Solstice around the corner which is so awesome in Grey and i'm sure the Sky won't look right (to me) in the color. I dislike the curvyness of the Sol but that color makes it perfectly alright.

That's another thing.... Do I wanna copy the man around the corner? I know it should'nt sway my decision, but seriosuly, theres only 3 Sol's in my town, do we need 2 of the same color right on the same block?

SOOOO it brings me to decision #3. Don't Laugh please.

Right now i'm driving a 2000 Hyundai Tiburon. Before I had the car, I was obsessed with them, especially since not everyone had them.

I finally got mine, but it's an ugly pastel yellow, yadda yadda, I really hate my car now (4 years later) BUT! The 2005/2006 is freaking awesome. YES IT'S A HYUNDAI! but then again IT'S A SATURN! WHO CARES

The new Tiburon V6 has about the same HP and even more torque than the 2.4 I4 Sol and Sky. The response is awesome, yes its FWD and yes its more like 70/30 than 50/50. BUT I'm only 20 years old. Most 20 year old's are driving beat up POS's, so even the Tiburon is still going to be cool for me.

AND THE TWIST

My dad works at a dealer doing finance... He used to work at Pontiac/Chevy/Hyundai for 15 years and still knows everyone there. So I go over the a guy I know and talk to him about the Sol and I see a shiny new Tiburon.... And we drive it and yes I love it and that's what I would get if there was no Sky/Sol. But the point is, he said he's gonna hook me up on the Tiburon (MSRP GT VY with tax around $22,000 for like $18,000 out the door) which is GREAT and will save me some decent money. BUT I did mention the sell pontiac too. He said he can get me a great deal on a Sol too. Not sure exactly what he can do, more likely throw in options for cheaper.

What do I do?

I HAVE to have a new car (something besides mine) by June of this year, my dad is giving my car to my little sister.

I can't just get the Tiburon for now and trade it in, since it will lose value like any other car (and they seriosuly don't lose much more than other cars for all of you Hyundai bashers). I am very sad realizing I probably won't have a Sky by June esp since the #1 person on my dealer's Sky list has been waiting since last Summer.

Oh yeh did I mention the insurance on the Solstice for me on my own was quoted at $275, and they said they Sky should be around $250 (it will be more like $150 since my dad's getting the insurance not me) and the Tiburon was $375!!! Progressive consideres the Tiburon more of a sport car since it has a V6. Yes I consider all 3 Sporty cars but just because it's a convertible 2 seater doesn't mean my insurance will be jacked up to $400 a month.

What does a 20 year old do? I am trying to move out of my ren'ts house sometime this year... I work in real estate but still I really prefer NOT spending all of my budget on cars and rent etc.

If this was all just me ranting then ignore me. But for those of you know really can understand my dilema, let me know what you think.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
skyguy85 said:
I'm having second and third thoughts about the Sky.

For anyone who's gonna say i'm not a Sky fanatic, F off!
I love the styling of this car more than any other car EVER! However, I HAVE to get a new car within 6 months and it doesn't sound like it CAN be the Sky. No, I don't have a deposit down, but my dealer is assuring my I can get one since he said they are getting 6 a month (which we all know is BS). PLUS I don't like hearing all of you who havn't heard a word from your dealers.

I first saw this car over 2 years ago when everyone else did, and was in love with it. However, I didn't even know they were taking deposits on it, or how limited it was. Call me lazy, uninformed, whatever. I wasn't in the market for a new car at that time so I didn't follow up on it.

Here's where the crazy part comes in. I have some pro's and cons about the Sky as I do with the Sol and any other car.

I LOVE the Sky's front end, and its sharp scoop in the side.
I HATE and yes I mean HATE the back end. I feel it is childish and the chrome on the tails really doesn't do anything for me.

I DISLIKE the Sol's front end (mainly the lack of a higher center air-dam)
I LOVE the Sol's rear end. It's taillights are what they should be on the Sky. I think they look sooo much better since they run up the length of the car, as opposed the the Sky's which go across the width of the back end.

SOL really is cheaper than Sky. I priced out a Sol with leather, polished wheels, cheap sound (the 200$ one) LSD and it came to around $23,000 (which don't you all forget, doesn't include TAX which brings it to around $25,500.

If they say the Sky will start at around $23,500, you can add in the $200 LSD and the $750 Leather and you get 24,445 or 26,460 after tax (California is soo lovely..)...

So yeh it's not much, but I am having these second thoughts for so many reasons. I'm falling in love with the man's Grey Solstice around the corner which is so awesome in Grey and i'm sure the Sky won't look right (to me) in the color. I dislike the curvyness of the Sol but that color makes it perfectly alright.

That's another thing.... Do I wanna copy the man around the corner? I know it should'nt sway my decision, but seriosuly, theres only 3 Sol's in my town, do we need 2 of the same color right on the same block?

SOOOO it brings me to decision #3. Don't Laugh please.

Right now i'm driving a 2000 Hyundai Tiburon. Before I had the car, I was obsessed with them, especially since not everyone had them.

I finally got mine, but it's an ugly pastel yellow, yadda yadda, I really hate my car now (4 years later) BUT! The 2005/2006 is freaking awesome. YES IT'S A HYUNDAI! but then again IT'S A SATURN! WHO CARES

The new Tiburon V6 has about the same HP and even more torque than the 2.4 I4 Sol and Sky. The response is awesome, yes its FWD and yes its more like 70/30 than 50/50. BUT I'm only 20 years old. Most 20 year old's are driving beat up POS's, so even the Tiburon is still going to be cool for me.

AND THE TWIST

My dad works at a dealer doing finance... He used to work at Pontiac/Chevy/Hyundai for 15 years and still knows everyone there. So I go over the a guy I know and talk to him about the Sol and I see a shiny new Tiburon.... And we drive it and yes I love it and that's what I would get if there was no Sky/Sol. But the point is, he said he's gonna hook me up on the Tiburon (MSRP GT VY with tax around $22,000 for like $18,000 out the door) which is GREAT and will save me some decent money. BUT I did mention the sell pontiac too. He said he can get me a great deal on a Sol too. Not sure exactly what he can do, more likely throw in options for cheaper.

What do I do?

I HAVE to have a new car (something besides mine) by June of this year, my dad is giving my car to my little sister.

I can't just get the Tiburon for now and trade it in, since it will lose value like any other car (and they seriosuly don't lose much more than other cars for all of you Hyundai bashers). I am very sad realizing I probably won't have a Sky by June esp since the #1 person on my dealer's Sky list has been waiting since last Summer.

Oh yeh did I mention the insurance on the Solstice for me on my own was quoted at $275, and they said they Sky should be around $250 (it will be more like $150 since my dad's getting the insurance not me) and the Tiburon was $375!!! Progressive consideres the Tiburon more of a sport car since it has a V6. Yes I consider all 3 Sporty cars but just because it's a convertible 2 seater doesn't mean my insurance will be jacked up to $400 a month.

What does a 20 year old do? I am trying to move out of my ren'ts house sometime this year... I work in real estate but still I really prefer NOT spending all of my budget on cars and rent etc.

If this was all just me ranting then ignore me. But for those of you know really can understand my dilema, let me know what you think.

Well, SkyGuy85, i do understand your dilema..... and, no , i dont think you should "copy" the guy around the corner... BUT.... at your age there are alot of choices and totally understand making the right one that is financialy going to benefit you. The Tiburon seems like, FOR NOW AT LEAST, would be your best bet. and besides, in a couple years if you still want a SKY or SOLSTICE.... they will be cheaper to come by.... No apologies for how you feel..... That is just the way it is.... Good Luck with your decision. SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Your young, and you have many many decisions to make in life, far more important than the type of car. Do what you want" your young and if it is the wrong decision, you will learn from it, and us what you learned to guide in a more important later on in life. The main thing is affordability, what can you afford without strain, keeping in mind that financial disasters can and sometimes happen, (lay offs/job changes/illness/wifes) and can you still maintain the payments if financed. Sorry, I got a little caught there. Whatever you decide, stick by it and you will land on your feet.:thumbs:

ERNEST:D

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Sorry to hear this Ernest. But this IS how people end up moving from #6 to #2 on a dealers list. People changing their minds. Have you looked at the G6? GM is putting a hard top convertable on that car and it has lots of HP!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Resale Value...

Hyundai or Limited production, 1st year collectible sports car that people are dying to get on a waiting list for???

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I just stick with the SKY, to much time and energy invested , besides, I like the look. I could buy an Z06 Vette, no problem, but hey I can have all the fun I want in my SKY, and draw high interst on the diffference in the bank, so when the AURA and SKY R/L become available, I buy, 3 instead of 1, ain"t a bad deal, is it? I am 31 on both those lists to. Life's grand ain't it?:D :cheers:

ERNEST

·
Registered
438 Posts
You're in real estate...why the hell are you renting? First off, you’re 20 years old...most I would say are much older than that! (30+ crowd) I don't want to sound like I'm preaching...but learn from a lot of other people’s mistakes. Don't worry about the price between the 2 cars...it truly should not make or break you, if that is the problem...lease a Dakota pick-up for 99/month!

At your age you should be saving for your future! (School, home, and YES retirement) Any little bit you can save now will compound greatly before you hit 50 (it will come quicker than you can imagine!) If you can do all this now and get the car that is great, but from the sounds of it, it could put undue stress on you! I hope you get what you want...but The SKY kicks ASS no matter how many pictures you post, and I have a feeling if you were #1-5 on a dealer list you wouldn't even be talking this crazy talk! (Sour grapes)!

I wish you the best...you didn't call yourself SKYGUY for nothing!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm 20 as well....

With the insurance and the lease (approximately base) I should spend 40-45% of my total income on my car. With my small lease (thank you dad) I'll have 40% of my pay to live my life. I made my decision; it's only up to you to make yours.

But think about how many 20 will be in a sky beside me? Not much; :willy:

·
Premium Member
2,302 Posts
Go with your gut! If you want the car - you can make it work. If you don't think it is a good idea right now, there is no shame in that either.

I'm ordering the same exact car that I saw at the car show years ago. Although other colors look awesome, I fell in love with the Silver Pearl with chrome wheels... etc... and need to go with my instinct.

You can make just about anything work out if it is truly what you want.

You really need to figure out what is truly important to you right now. If you get the car, you might need to sacrifice other things that you want... I'd rather sacrifice the other stuff!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Decisions, decisions, decisions, You only live once and we all seem to land on our feet some how if times go south. Look at resale, should you have to unload for some unforseen cicumstance.:thumbs:

·
Registered
38 Posts
This is the perfect time in your life to get a two seat roadster. Why would you even think about the Tiburon? Either the Sky or the Sol will work out fine. Just make a decision, it's quite simple.

Just think about the future when the real decisions start to come at you....

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
It breaks my heart to hear about the utter confusion you must be feeling, however, let me just add a little bit more...

I HAVE a 2003 Tiburon GT, V6. I friggen love it and I am very, very sad to get rid of it. If I had my way, I'd keep it AND get the SKY and take the Tib to the track and really tear it up. It's a fantastic car, and I too was trying to be different when I bought the car. I TOO live in California, Los Angeles, in fact. I get so many stops and stares at my car. It's black on black, I took the stupid Hyundai logos and labels off and put the Tuscani logo on it only. I switched out the tires and got 18" wheels and tinted the windows and it's beautiful.

I am completely ready for the SKY though. I'm going through a dealer in Southern California and the GM has been terrific to work with. My dealership (Galpin / Saturn of the Valley) will be splitting the allocation with it's sister dealership in Santa Clarita. He told me that the dealership in Santa Clarita has 1/3 of the orders (with deposits) in. You may want to look into that. HOWEVER, please note that they are expecting to also charge higher than the MSRP. If $$ is a real concern, I would think twice. It really all depends on what you want, what you can afford and what fits your lifestyle. Don't be so hard on yourself, and whatever you decide, I am sure will be right for you. If you go with the newer Tib, go through Fuccillo, they're really friendly and have a great service department, you can ask for Javier or Ralph.

Okay, that's all for now. Good Luck:thumbs:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Skyguy85 first of all congratulations for being brave enough to ask such a question on this site. It looks as if you have been given some good advice. I dont really know how real estate works where your at but the few people I know here near houston tx have to drive their potential buyers around town (residential & commercial) to look at properties. The Tiburon would probablly seat 4 comfortably with room for "junk in your trunk" no pun intended, as to where the Sky/Sol you do not have such an option. Also dont Hyundai have something like a 100 year 1 million mile warranty? ( 10yr-100k mile) This may be the way to go for someone in your position. ( no suprised maint cost) They are both good looking cars so dont let that debate influence you. Good luck with your decision & let us know what you decide.:thumbs:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
Call around and see what the lowest number in line is that you can get in your area. Put down a deposit on a Sky and get in line. At the end of May, if it doesn't look like you'll have your car in time, get your deposit back and go buy the Tiburon off the lot.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How strange.... after getting back from the mall, my Sky poster had fallen off the wall after being there for 6 months! A sign? Maybe..

Let me say this:

I DONT feel jealous every time I see a new Tiburon driving around (Hyundai only sold 10,000 Tiburon's last year) But I WILL have tears in my eyes every time I see a Sky.

BTW I am a Gemini and this totally shows it. Since my parents didn't have a problem with me getting the Sky in the first place, maybe I will just stick with it.

IF I get the Sky, i'm torn between colors. Since there's not many pics of the silver graphite, I made this one:

and the silver pearl

IF the grey looks like it does in my picture...WOW! I drive by the man's Sol EVERY DAY so now he parks it in the driveway and not on the street! Next will be the garage.

I work in new home sales. I JUST got my real estate liscense, so for now, i'm a real estate temp. I get 40 hours a week and a bring home around 1,800 a month. This does suck but I am supposed to be hired by a builder (KBhome) and they jumps to around $85,000 a year. It can be anywhere from 3 to 9 months before I get hired permanent. I can totally afford the Sky now, but I will have to live at home for a while, which I have no problem with since my parents have a kick ass house on the nice side of town anyway.

I am so worried about putting my deposit down now and then in 2 3 4 or evrn 5 months the cars ready and i'm not. I really want to get the car in June or July since that's when my little sister will be getting my car.

For whoever said it's scary if you were to be laid off.... I was once laid off from a job 2 years ago and could not find work. My parents paid my car payment for a year and then just paid it off..

My dad makes plenty of money so if I defaulted he would pay it and just have the car. I'm assuring him he could even sell it for what he owes or perhaps even more depending on the circumstances.

Here's what i'm going to do. I'm going to try to stop thinking about it, stop losing sleep over it. I'm going to go down to my dealer next pay check and put my $500 down.

One more thing, my dealer is promising me that they will not be ordering ANY Skys for anyone, infact no dealer is. That really upsets me since I know how many of you have ordered already. I can be number 5 on the list. They may need to skip me several times until i'm ready to buy. The decision is going to be ultimatly up to my dad.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think the grey is def. more classy and mature. I have been wanting a new silver sporty something for 2 years now, and I have changed a bit in 2 years.

The grey doesn't hide the lines too much. I absolutly love the grey/silver contrast from the windscreen and behind the seats. I love the red/black leather only on the grey. Give me some time and I will make some more photochops of the silver graphite.

·
Premium Member
2,302 Posts
wow - they are both beautiful looking...

I'm still gonna stick with pearl silver.

From now on, I need to quit looking and second guessing myself!!!

:eek:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts