Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the latest flaw appeared at 1500 miles...
If I move the seat all the way back and tilt the seat back, the tilt lever handle hits the back panel. Being of the highest grade plastic, it broke off. I glued it on, it broke off again. If I get a new one, that will break too.
Being 6'2", I need to use all the space available.

Anyone else broken theirs yet?

P.S. I love the car but this is the kind of crap that shouldn't happen!

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Ski Hi, Thanks for the heads up. I too am 6'2" and drive with the seat all the way back. I didn't know about the round knob at the bottom left of the drivers seat. If my wife (5') had turned the knob to lean the seat back while the seat was fully foward (like she drives) and I pushed the seat all the way back I would have the same results that you did.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. Sorry it had to happen to you for us to find this out.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fix?

I took the broken knob and ground it on the bench grinder to match the contour of the rear panel, and glued it on again. This will take a lot of the load off it. We'll see if it works this time. If it does, I'll get a new knob and grind it to fit before I install it.
I've asked Stig to make a metal knob like the "little chromies" locks to fix the problem for good. No response yet.

·
Super Moderator
11,620 Posts
You guys have to keep something in mind...stuff like this is pretty typical with a first year car. Sucks that it happens but talk to Saturn about it. Not that they can do anything about it on your car (other than replace it) but they may update the design in future model years. My 97 GP is a first year car too and trust me, there are all sorts of little quirks with that car that no other model year of the GP deals with.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Super Glue trick

If you are using some kind of super glue - try this trick - apply a thin layer of glue to both surfaces as directed - but then afer you join the pieces apply some baking soda - wait a few seconds and then brush off the excess - apply a thin layer of glue all around the joint and spinkle on some more baking soda - and brush away the excess. depending on the material and the size of the joint this can make a much faster and stronger connection that glue alone. it can get a bit messy so you might want to either practice on a scrap piece of plastic first - and the result is hard enough that you can take a file or a grinder to it to claen it up a bit for cases where the results may not be in a hidden area where appearance might be a concern.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sky-High

Anybody have convertible top problems? My top broke the first time I put it up. A supporting rod came loose and damaged the fiberglass behind the drivers headrest. OUCH!!!! Saturn Greenwood had it back after 3 days.
I must say they did a excellent job repairing the fiberglass and the top.
If your top seems to be hard to lower or raise, check for a small rod hanging
loose behind the drivers heed. It is threaded and will eat up the fiberglass.
Just something else to watch out for. Otherwise the car has been awsome.
It turns heads wherever you go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts