Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See photo for details, but the passenger side door handle just pulls off of the door out of where it needs to be. still in one solid peace for now, and i didnt find anything about fixing it here on the forums. am i stupid to think about gluing it back to where it needs to be?

·
Administrator
6,890 Posts
That is, unfortunately, not an uncommon problem.

This is an old thread that lists part numbers for the replacement handles. Door Handle Part numbers - Broken Door handle fix
The part numbers should still be current if the prices aren't.

You may be able to repair what you have, but the most common route people take is to replace.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you're in the Chicagoland area, there's a guy that's selling both the passenger and drivers side door handles for $15 bucks a piece on Craigslist. If not, you might persuade him to drop them in the mail for a few extra bucks. Check out:

Cheers!

·
Administrator
6,890 Posts
If you do get those, you should fill the spaces around the thread bosses with JBWeld of something similar as a reinforcement.

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
Yep. Welcome to the "Fistfull of Doorhandle Club". Strikes me as odd how often it happens to the less-used door.

Replace it and, as others have said, reinforce the weak plastic webbing. GM could easily have done a better job.

·
Administrator
6,890 Posts
Yep. Welcome to the "Fistfull of Doorhandle Club". Strikes me as odd how often it happens to the less-used door.

Replace it and, as others have said, reinforce the weak plastic webbing. GM could easily have done a better job.
That door handle may be used less but it is probably more likely to be used by someone who is less connected to the car, and is more likely to be pulled when the doors are still locked.

Not that it matters to anyone, but GM is unlikely to have designed that part, and almost certainly didn't make it.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I glued my old one back together with JBWeld after replacing it with a cheap Cobalt handle.

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Since my handles are painted, I chose to repair the failed handles. It turned out to be relatively easy. Line up the broken bits and hold them in place while the epoxy sets and they will be better than new. While you are at it, fill the other one with JB Weld before it too fails

·
Administrator
6,890 Posts
Since my handles are painted, I chose to repair the failed handles. It turned out to be relatively easy. Line up the broken bits and hold them in place while the epoxy sets and they will be better than new. While you are at it, fill the other one with JB Weld before it too fails
Good plan. Both parts of it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I glued my old one back together with JBWeld after replacing it with a cheap Cobalt handle.
You think its a smart idea to go ahead and just JBweld the one i got back in place? i dont know how to go about replacing a door handle and it still works if i push it back in and hold it in place.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Yes, it can be done. I did it and I am not very bright. Three things to think about.

1) If you do that and sometime in the future it breaks again, you will probably not be able to do it again and will have to bust it out with a chisel. BUT, mine is doing fine after 4 years and counting.

2) Dont just slop a bunch of JB Weld on it so that it drips down in the door and screws something else up. Use it sparingly, only on the broken surfaces. And after it had begun to harden, hold it firmly in place and work the handle so as to release any JB Weld that got in the wrong place.

3) If you screw it up, I WONT COME FIX IT. Its on your head.

I would NOT TRY this on the left side that has a lock incorporated into it.

·
Administrator
6,890 Posts
I would not JBWeld the handle onto the door.

That said, it's your car not mine.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
The latch isnt glued to the door. The two pieces are just glued together. But the screws wont come out if glued with JBWeld so in the future it will have to be broken to take it apart.

·
Administrator
6,890 Posts
The latch isnt glued to the door. The two pieces are just glued together. But the screws wont come out if glued with JBWeld so in the future it will have to be broken to take it apart.
That is better than glueing it to the door.
I think that by removing it completely it should be possible to make a complete repair as described by @Rob the Elder in Post #9.
I have a broken handle that i will try to fix that way.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I dont see where ANYONE suggested gluing it to the door????

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
thanks for your reply. Could you link me to a thread or website with instructions on how to replace it?
NOTE: This thread has part numbers, but is 11 yrs old, so they may have been superseded. But the 'how-to' remains correct :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts