Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

So this happened to the sky thurs, found these threads about it but found no mention of actual part numbers for corresponding models with the same handle p/n's listed........so I did some investigation work:

I made a few phone calls and found what dealers had door handles in stock then went to my local Chevy and Saturn Dealerships to compare. :driving:

I found the chevy cobalt door handle options to be reinforced at least and quite a bit cheaper at that.

Chevy Impala ones were the same, but chevy also wanted 90 bucks FOR THOSE???

Saturn Dealer had the original chrome door handle for $91 bucks - nothing changed, same weak sauce door handle. :skep:

ALL DRIVERS SIDE P/N:
Saturn Part number:
Chrome OEM - non reinforced - P/N 25865676 - $91.00 :nono:

Chevy Cobalt part numbers:
Black primered unit - ready for paint - P/N 25963384 - $55.03 :thumbs:
Chrome unit-Identical but reinforced - P/N 25869324 - $46.29 :thumbs:

PASSENGER SIDE P/N:

Chevy Cobalt part numbers:
Black primer'd unit reinforced - ready for paint - P/N 25963347 - $53.26 (with key hole)
Black primer'd unit reinforced - ready for paint - P/N 25963362 - $54.60 (with out key hole)

Chrome unit - Identical but reinforced - P/N 25869322 - $59.79

Pics to compare: - see the "bridges shown in red squares connect the nutserts"

Cobalt Black primer'd and Chrome reinforced:

I also must add that the black primered unit - the reinforced plastic "bridges" are about a milimeter thicker than the chrome "bridges"

Got it fixed myself Friday morning in under an hour including trip to the dealership.

As for install, I can probably add pics later but I just followed the interior door panel removal: Kappa Specific Sound Deadening Kits

Then used a 10mm socket to remove three bolts in order to remove the door handle.

You have to peel back the interior plastic on the door to gain access then reach back in there so that you don't drop the bolts.

I used a wobble extension (about a 8 inch one) and a 10mm socket and my handy dandy dewalt impact driver but a ratchet will work just fine....

See here:

The black primer'd handle was intriguing - paint match or a satin black handle paint job might look good!!! hey its an option for those that didn't know about it??

Some to compare the black primered option and the oem chrome handle:

I hope the part numbers above help someone get through this headache quick and less costly than the Saturn dealership charges for the same weak sauce door handle.....
:thumbs:

-J

Threads i found on the subject:
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2/fist-full-door-handle-22368/
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f5/door-handle-question-31604/
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2/door-handle-failures-28231/

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
More pics:

I would rate the install as a 2 of 10 in difficulty. Its quite easy and doesn't take long. So I would say anyone with the tools and patience can do this easily

Frustration level of even having to have to do this in the first place - 10 of 10 :mad:

-J

Attachments

·
Registered
925 Posts
Are they the same on both sides?

·
Registered
925 Posts
Thanks. They look like a lot better part. I may just get a pair and save them just in case as who knows if Government Motors will survive. The government could not even make money with the Mustang Ranch when the IRS took it over.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. They look like a lot better part. I may just get a pair and save them just in case as who knows if Government Motors will survive. The government could not even make money with the Mustang Ranch when the IRS took it over.
No problem man!

Ya i would get a pair extra to had i known about this issue.....I plan on going back now and ordering a passenger side for the same reason.

I also think that even though its reinforced - a blob of adhesive/epoxy super hold would be good all in the cavities around it. Filling it in to add strength.

regardless of the cobalt reinforcements - its still a weak sauce design compared to other handles ive seen.........its plastic! geess....:confused:

-J

·
Registered
925 Posts
$72.75 shipped for 2 at GM direct.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
That's a nice write-up there aggie with good pics! Have a set already body color matched and am waiting for a handle to fail before installing them. Just aheads up on the Cobalt replacements; some years/models (can't remember which) have no keyhole on the passenger side door handle.

·
Registered
925 Posts
The ones on my 03 pick up are plastic too. I have yanked on them real hard when snow freezes the door shut and they have never broken. These are just a stupid design. I saw someone on the sol forum suggest that pushing on the lock cylinder with your thumb at the same time may reduce the force on the bolts.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
$72.75 shipped for 2 at GM direct.
nice.....not bad at all...

That's a nice write-up there aggie with good pics! Have a set already body color matched and am waiting for a handle to fail before installing them. Just aheads up on the Cobalt replacements; some years/models (can't remember which) have no keyhole on the passenger side door handle.
ha..ha..ya its the A&M Engineer in me.......plus, i do write ups on a much more technical level fixing problems like this everyday at work....

great info on the passenger side door handle key hole! Thanks, ill keep that in mind......ill post the p/n's when i get mine....

The ones on my 03 pick up are plastic too. I have yanked on them real hard when snow freezes the door shut and they have never broken. These are just a stupid design. I saw someone on the sol forum suggest that pushing on the lock cylinder with your thumb at the same time may reduce the force on the bolts.
Yes, i agree, it is a weak sauce design.......its a plastic handle with metal nutserts in them with little reinforcement...

Most of the door handles i have seen are at least a cheap aluminum cast...

I agree, using your thumb to hold down the lock cylinder would definitely eliminate the issue, as thumb position would be exactly where the bolts are tied into on the handle..... doing that is definitely smart...:thumbs:

-J

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
I agree, using your thumb to hold down the lock cylinder would definitely eliminate the issue, as thumb position would be exactly where the bolts are tied into on the handle..... doing that is definitely smart...:thumbs:
Sigh.....the things we do to keep from breaking our SKY.

1. Place thumb on lock cylinder to avoid yanking handle off the door.
2. Keep wheels centered when parking to avoid cylinder locking.
3. Close door before lower buttresses to avoid window rub.
4. Put small towels on top when closing trunk to avoid marring.
5. Open/Close hood with doors closed to avoid damage.
:willy:

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
good info. just ordered a pair from ced cause my passenger side broke, and i dont even use that side much!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Sigh.....the things we do to keep from breaking our SKY.

1. Place thumb on lock cylinder to avoid yanking handle off the door.
2. Keep wheels centered when parking to avoid cylinder locking.
3. Close door before lower buttresses to avoid window rub.
4. Put small towels on top when closing trunk to avoid marring.
5. Open/Close hood with doors closed to avoid damage.
:willy:
6. Hold beer between legs to avoid breaking cup holders.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Please sticky this thread. It'll save the next door handle victim a lot of time & aggravation.

·
Registered
878 Posts
This is the highest quality thread of 2010 thus far. If there was some sort of kudos system, I would bestow some upon you.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
ya got a part # for passenger door handle? i didnt even think to ask for both door #s and just ASSumed it would work for both so i got two of em lol. the one i got was 25869324 which is the driver door(which i dont need but got anyway in case it decides to break too) so now i need the passenger handle cause its broke. i just superglued back together for now so hopefully itll hold till i get the updated replacement.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ya got a part # for passenger door handle? i didnt even think to ask for both door #s and just ASSumed it would work for both so i got two of em lol. the one i got was 25869324 which is the driver door(which i dont need but got anyway in case it decides to break too) so now i need the passenger handle cause its broke. i just superglued back together for now so hopefully itll hold till i get the updated replacement.
ha..ha..crap, i knew i forgot something, let me see if i can find my notes...best and easiest way to find out is to call teh chevy dealer with the drivers door number then ask him for the passenger side number...

I did an edit to the first page till i get it..
-J

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
ha..ha..crap, i knew i forgot something, let me see if i can find my notes...best and easiest way to find out is to call teh chevy dealer with the drivers door number then ask him for the passenger side number...

I did an edit to the first page till i get it..
-J
haha thats ok. its my fault in the first place for not trying to get it. oh well.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.