Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had a problem with the interior door handle? I have had my sky for about a week and the interior handle for the passenger side will not unlatch the door. I guess it is not a big deal since I will be at Saturn tomorrow anyhow. Thanks

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Have you tired unlocking the door first? They lock automatically when the car starts to move and the only way to unlock them is to use the key fob or reach over and pull up on the lock button. Pulling on the door handle will not unlock the door.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well no that was not it...according to saturn something came disconnected in the door lock assembly...it is fixed and working now.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Had same issue this weekend, will look at fix tHIS EVENING and post pics if I deem necessary! Otherwise, I will post what to do to fix it...

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
tiger20005 said:
Had same issue this weekend, will look at fix tHIS EVENING and post pics if I deem necessary! Otherwise, I will post what to do to fix it...
Sounds like you should take it to the Saturn dealer for a warranty repair.... :eek: :confused:

·
Registered
202 Posts
This is a known issue. There is a cable attached to the handle to actuate the door release. It rests on the handle via GRAVITY. There is nothing else there holding it in place. If you flick the handle too fast it can pop off rendering the inside handle inoperable. The doorpanel must then be removed to put it back on.

The best solution for now is to be careful opening the door. Pull the handle and gently let it back down, don't let it slam. It is the quick spring-loaded slam that dislodges the cable, which is there instead of a rod becuase it makes getting into a SKY/SOL with a slimjim type tool much more difficult.

That was the explanation I received from the service tech who said the design "sucks" because every single one has the potential to do that.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
We could just leap over the door and land perfectly in our seats...but I think I will practice on another vehicle first.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
skywulf said:
We could just leap over the door and land perfectly in our seats...but I think I will practice on another vehicle first.
Oh I pity my seats!! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
251 Posts
GMintheDriveway you are correct! I had posted pics a couple months back on the inside of the door but forgot what it had looked like until I went back in. I see that unfortunately not only did the cable pop out but the actual piece (which is an extension of the doorhandle) was roughed up and is in bad shape. I am definitely going to need a replacement from the dealer!

·
Registered
78 Posts
The cable does snap into place at the handle, but im thinking some just wernt snaped in at the factory. And if you do ever lock your keys into your car, a slimjim is useless. a very simple tool you can buy at any hardware storecan open up the door in about 10 seconds. I wont say what it is for safety issues. :thumbs:

·
Registered
78 Posts
tiger20005 said:
GMintheDriveway you are correct! I had posted pics a couple months back on the inside of the door but forgot what it had looked like until I went back in. I see that unfortunately not only did the cable pop out but the actual piece (which is an extension of the doorhandle) was roughed up and is in bad shape. I am definitely going to need a replacement from the dealer!

Be sure when they order the door panel, that they order the insert panel that goes behind the handle that you use to close the door. These pieces are updated and need to be ordered together because the new ones are not interchangeable with the old.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ok OK here is the tool. I will only hint as how to use it. (The ragtop window seals can easily allow this tool to slide in.) You can figure out the rest :D

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thanks SkyTech will request that! I can say that maybe I need to take better care of my door handles when opening because you cannot just let them snap back into position without expecting wear in the future. I actually don't have a problem with opening the door by reaching over and tugging the outside door handle. I always drive my car when it doesn't rain so my top is down anyways. Might look dumb to people watching me park and get out of the car but I'm okay with it :lol:

·
Registered
151 Posts
skywulf said:
Now there's an idea. Just call me Daisy Duke. Hope it isn't as much of a hazard in the Sky as it is in my vette...
95 degrees + black leather + shorts = hot, scorched buns
Yeeeeeeehaw!
:lol:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Need one too...

My driver's side did the same thing. I need the part number to replace the cable but can't find it. HELP!

Here's a pic... the cable is number 16 in the pic:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
My driver's side did the same thing. I need the part number to replace the cable but can't find it. HELP!

Here's a pic... the cable is number 16 in the pic:
I went on ebay looking specifically for this and unfortunately not even source one had one out for bidding. HOWEVER, give then a call at 855-766-3288 to see if they have it. This outfit bought ALL the excess parts for the Sky when Saturn went belly up..
I recently purchased from then the rear driver side assemble light fixture, it came perfect! Good luck!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts