Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK HERE'S A TECHNICAL QUESTION..................HOW DO YOU REMOVE THOSE UGLY PLASTIC DOOR LOCK KNOBS??? do they just unscrew??

·
Registered
414 Posts
I think there is a thread on this, someone described the process of removal.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
if I recall... they do NOT actually have turn threads but ridges that once the plastic is pushed over is difficult to pull back up. If you try to unscrew them they just turn and turn around those ridges. It is a combination of pull upward and turn.. :)

·
Registered
358 Posts

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
:thumbs:
One of the vendors sells something called lil' chromies to replace the standard door locks. i have copied the sites installation procedures to replace and it shows you how to remove them.http://www.kappasphere.com/products/interior/chromies_directions.pdf

Good post Graysky. Also somewhere on the forum this issue was discussed in detail, and I remember those who installed the lil chromies also used a hair drayer to heat the oem door pulls before trying to pull them off.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hair Dryer!

I used a hair dryer and heated them up for about 15 seconds, then they twisted off easily. Between removing the old knobs and installing the little chromies it took about a 5 minutes. It took longer to run the extension cord around the garage than to change them out.:lol:

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used a hair dryer and heated them up for about 15 seconds, then they twisted off easily. Between removing the old knobs and installing the little chromies it took about a 5 minutes. It took longer to run the extension cord around the garage than to change them out.:lol:
hey Aggie where did you get your little chromies,?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks,,,,,,$24.95,,,,,,hummm,,,,,ok

·
Registered
230 Posts
Thanks,,,,,,$24.95,,,,,,hummm,,,,,ok
They are worth it!! I love them. I ordered them from Kappasphere, like Graysky said, and I think that they were $33 and some change with shipping. They arrived really fast too, I am still waiting on an antenna that I ordered the same day! Here are some pictures so you can decide.

One of the old lock, the newly installed lil' chromie, and one of the lil' chromie with my proud husband - the picture was too cute not to post.:D

BTW - MRSVIPER - love the pictures of your new Sky - congrats!!

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
The chromies look nice and all but the whole $24.99 deal for fake plastic chrome is just a horrible price. Autozone has those for half the price. P.S AGGIES SUCK! =)

·
Registered
129 Posts
They are worth it!! I love them. I ordered them from Kappasphere, like Graysky said, and I think that they were $33 and some change with shipping. They arrived really fast too, I am still waiting on an antenna that I ordered the same day! Here are some pictures so you can decide.

One of the old lock, the newly installed lil' chromie, and one of the lil' chromie with my proud husband - the picture was too cute not to post.:D

BTW - MRSVIPER - love the pictures of your new Sky - congrats!!
Ahh finally some pics of the little chromies on a sky. :) i will be getting some. They fit the technical and refined dynamic of the sky i think.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
The chromies look nice and all but the whole $24.99 deal for fake plastic chrome is just a horrible price. Autozone has those for half the price. P.S AGGIES SUCK! =)
Sorry... they're not plastic. Here's what KappaSphere has to say about them:

"Made from stainless steel and polished to a bright and shiny finish. The machined rings make it very easy to grab the door locks while keeping with the interior theme of the car."

·
Registered
230 Posts

"Made from stainless steel and polished to a bright and shiny finish. The machined rings make it very easy to grab the door locks while keeping with the interior theme of the car."
Thanks ggccg! They are stainless and very heavy, not plastic at all. I was surprised at their weight when they arrived.

Sky Guy - I think that they add a little needed touch too.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks AggieSky for the hair blower tip.....that’s my next little project. Can you post pictures of the antenna when you get that.....still cant decide on a style.

·
Registered
276 Posts

All the easier for a thief to open the door !! The chrome even makes them easier to see as he fishes around with a wire coat hanger !!

·
Registered
18,163 Posts
if a thief wants this car...the chromies are not the deterrant...anyone can slash the roof...next...although I have the chromies installed...it doesn't do much for appearance..it is really invisible...the windscreen is what makes it special.. from robert, of course.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
All the easier for a thief to open the door !! The chrome even makes them easier to see as he fishes around with a wire coat hanger !!
If you want to break in to a car, it is MUCH faster and easier just to smash the window with an appropriate tool. Only idiots who have locked their keys in the car fish around with coat hangers.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
If you want to break in to a car, it is MUCH faster and easier just to smash the window with an appropriate tool. Only idiots who have locked their keys in the car fish around with coat hangers.
Additionally theives know - if they want something IN the car (Go through glove compartment, get the great laptop you left on the seat etc.), the last thing they want to do is open a door. If you pop the lock and open the door the horn starts to blow.
Just slit the roof; grab the booty and go.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts