Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All I can hope is that GM will use turbo on a performance version of the Sky. I am coming from 240SXs where the stock motor is a KA24DE 2.4L DOHC and makes 155HP.The obvious upgrade from there is to swap the engine for a direct fit Japanese only SR20DET 2.0L Turbo.

Then you only get bumped up in power to 205HP (depending on the model year of the motor). Doesnt seem like much of an increase for the effort, but turbo motors respond so much better to modification. Now you will truly see 25HP from a free flow Turbo Back exhaust, and big numbers from boost increases. They are pretty stout too, able to handle 500hp on a stock block, just as long as you dont lean out the A/F ratio and detonate.

With all intake, exhaust, and intercooling bolt ons, with a slightly larger Nissan T28 Turbo and larger injectors, you can see a modest 300HP, to the wheels out of a 2.0L without opening up the block and going crazy expensive. Now as long as GM uses turbo instead of a wimpy SC :D , and they build the block stout enough to handle relative amounts of boost, we should be seeing the same types of numbers out of the sol and sky.

Almost getting too anxious for the FI versions of the Kappa to come out.

Hopefully my 240 won't be jealous with another lady around :brentil:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes that is one of my renderings, in an attempt to be the color Bluestone, but i feel the real color is going to be much more bland than my photoshop.

·
Registered
304 Posts
We've had lively discussions from yome to time at the Solstice forum on the merits of turbo over supercharged and vice versa. To me, a long time s/c owner and driver it appears that the ability to enhance a s/c package is pretty affordable and relatively easy. We all know that the corporate powers will not sell us a car that is at it's peak in terms of hp. Simplest upgrade for a s/c setup is a smaller drive pulley to increase boost. I'm sure you can play with the wastegate opening pressure, but how easy is it to get to. Also unless you put in twin turbos you are going to have turbo lag, something that is virtually non-ecistent in a supercharge dsetup. Rumors already spec the 205 hp s/c 2.0 from the Cobalt SS as probable Redline and Sol GT power.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts