Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many people think this car has some serious drift potential. I mean, lets compare it to another popular drift car, the Nissan 240sx:
  • Both are rear wheel drive
  • Stock Sky-170 hp
  • Stock 240sx-somewhere around 140hp
  • Both have near 50/50 wieght distibution
PLUS, the sky looks good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i think eventually, someone other than me will think of drifting this car, and it'll happen. Especially if some high quality turbochargers are made for it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
im gonna be drifting her. 170 is not terrible but if she had like 250 she would scream. HP doesnt always mean the best drift though. a good chassis setup and good foot work can get some serious drift going.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You can't really compare this car to a 240sx.

Convertables are always heavier than coupes and usually always have more body roll due to the lack of a roof. Most people who do drift, swap in the sr20det from the japanese silvia (thier 240sx) or they modify thiers to put out about 250-300 HP.

Large amounts of power isn't always neccessary when drifting but you do need enough to get the wheels spinning whenever neccessary, and 140 hp sure won't make it easy. Putting bigger, softer wheels also won't help considering the idea of drifting is to lose traction in the rear wheels, not gain it.

A decent amount of power, a nice stiff chassis and a good LSD will be required to make this comporable to other ideal drift cars. The fact that it almost attains perfect 50/50 weight distribution definitely helps though.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i gotta admit, the fact that i finally saw under the hood tells me that it will be a challenge to say the least, as far as beefing the chassis up. the motor sits higher then struts so in order to run a strut tower brace it would either have to go up and over, behind, or to the front of the motor. it will still be possible. people drift the miata so its only a matter of time before this little demon gets her rear sideways.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts