Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This Saturday they are having a charity event where you can pay 10 dollars to take 5 laps around Bristol Motor Speedway In Bristol Tennessee in your personal car, You can do this as many times as you want... you will follow a pace car at about 60 to 70 MPH around the track... it is from 9AM to 4 PM Saturday June 10th ride the high 36 degree banking!!! Whooo HOOOO!!!!
lets see a bunch of Skys there!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,686 Posts
That is better than the deal we got at Texas Motor Speedway. $25 for 3 laps but I did get to go considerably faster.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
marklynn70 said:
That is better than the deal we got at Texas Motor Speedway. $25 for 3 laps but I did get to go considerably faster.
believe me 60 to 70 at Bristol will seem very fast....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
Going to Pocono

SkyMan 07 said:
This Saturday they are having a charity event where you can pay 10 dollars to take 5 laps around Bristol Motor Speedway In Bristol Tennessee in your personal car, You can do this as many times as you want... you will follow a pace car at about 60 to 70 MPH around the track... it is from 9AM to 4 PM Saturday June 10th ride the high 36 degree banking!!! Whooo HOOOO!!!!
lets see a bunch of Skys there!!!
Would love to do it but we are going to Pocono for the race this weekend. 36 degree is considerably better than Pocono.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,421 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
believe me 60 to 70 at Bristol will seem very fast....
BMS...racin' the way it ought'a be! :D Saw three NASCAR races there...best track on the circuit, IMO. Man...if only I lived closer I would jump at the chance to drive my car or bike on that track! :thumbs:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
I do more than 60-70 on my way to and from work! :D My need for speed could be assuaged at a little place down the road called Talladega, but I haven't heard of them hosting a similar event.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
11,620 Posts
Bristol=1/2 mile track. Isn't the pace laps during the NASCAR race there something like 55 or so? Average speed right around the 100 mark isn't it?

God I'd love to do this...even at California. Oh well, doing AutoX out there this weekend will be close enough I guess. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,421 Posts
Robotech said:
Bristol=1/2 mile track. Isn't the pace laps during the NASCAR race there something like 55 or so? Average speed right around the 100 mark isn't it?

God I'd love to do this...even at California. Oh well, doing AutoX out there this weekend will be close enough I guess. :)
"World's Fastest Half Mile"...track qualifying record is held by Ryan Newman -- 128.709mph. So yeah, I would say the "average" speed of a stock car would be close to 100mph. :thumbs:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Robotech said:
Bristol=1/2 mile track. Isn't the pace laps during the NASCAR race there something like 55 or so? Average speed right around the 100 mark isn't it?

God I'd love to do this...even at California. Oh well, doing AutoX out there this weekend will be close enough I guess. :)
they will not be going pace speed, that is 35, they will be going between 60 and 70 and in a street car it will seem fast... well average speed includes caution flags, in race trim they usually go about 120 for a lap
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
AUsomTiger said:
I do more than 60-70 on my way to and from work! :D My need for speed could be assuaged at a little place down the road called Talladega, but I haven't heard of them hosting a similar event.
banks at bristol are more steeply banked and turns are tighter than talladega, you will feel like you are going much faster than 60 or 70 believe me i have done it before...

like they say Jet fighters in a cereal bowl....
 

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
Joined
·
8,861 Posts
That would be awesome..... wish i could make it.. but.... doing the SKY MEET in bloomington this weekend..... SkyBaby-07

PSS...... the ORIGINAL midnight blue sky showed up this past saturday... and i sat in it and gawked a bit...... i made the right choice with the black..... almost 5k miles now....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,686 Posts
Texas Motor Speedway have a 24-degree banks in the curves and a 5-degree bank in the straight aways. Ernest and I enjoyed going all the way to the top at both ends. :thumbs:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Bristol Facts

Track Dimenstions:

Distance of Track: .533 miles

Degree of Banking (Corners): 36 degrees

Degree of Banking (Straights): 16 degrees

Length of Straightaways: 650 feet

Length of Turns: 910 feet

Width of Track: 40 feet

Width of Apron: 40 feet

Length of Pit Row: 594 feet - Frontstretch (22 pit stalls x 27 feet)
567 feet - Backstretch (21 pit stalls x 27 feet)

Width of Pit Row: 52 feet

Total Infield Area: 10 acres (approximately)

Racing Surface: Concrete

Seating Capacity: 160,000

Track Records:

WCS Track Qualifying Record: Ryan Newman, 128.709 mph, 14.908 sec., 3/21/03

WCS Race Record: Charlie Glotzbach, 101.074 mph (2:38:12), 7/11/71 (note: Pole speed for this race was a little over 104 MPH, today if they would go caution free the average speed would probably be in the low 120's...Tim)
NBS Track Qualifying Record: David Green, 126.495 mph, 15.169 sec., 3/21/03

Most Bristol Wins (Driver): Darrell Waltrip, 12 (7 consecutive)

Most Bristol Wins (Car Owner): Junior Johnson, 21 (8 consecutive)

Most Bristol Wins (Manufacturer): Chevrolet, 37 (Ford is second with 23)

Most Bristol Poles (Driver): Cale Yarborough, 9

Track Rentals:

Social Events
0 - 100 People $1,000
101 - 250 People $1,500
251 - 500 People $2,000
501+ People $2,500

Emergency Services
Fire/Medical Services $800
Wrecker Service $200

*RATES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE AND ARE BASED ON THE HOURS OF 8 a.m. - 5p.m., MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,421 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
Track Dimenstions:
[WCS Race Record: Charlie Glotzbach, 101.074 mph (2:38:12), 7/11/71 (note: Pole speed for this race was a little over 104 MPH, today if they would go caution free the average speed would probably be in the low 120's...Tim)

Caution free??? At Bristol??? Now that is funny!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
Bristol is 2 dragstrips connected by hairpin turns. 70mph would be cool on the Bristol banks, Texas or Taladaga at 70 would feel like a drive to work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
nscrbug said:
Caution free??? At Bristol??? Now that is funny!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
it DID happen one time, that was in 1971 when the record was set....
could it happen again? I doubt it at these speeds they are going now...now i do remember a couple years ago they went half the race with no cautions, then they had 10 in the second half....
 

·
Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
2,238 Posts
It's for charity! Go and have a fun day meeting some other people who think they have hot cars. Should be an interesting assortment of cars.:cool:
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top