Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in southern ontario canada, and was wondering what the odds are of being able to drive this thing in the winter is. Obviously not talking insane snowstorms or anything, but a regular day driver in normal snow conditions.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,302 Posts
recko said:
Im in southern ontario canada, and was wondering what the odds are of being able to drive this thing in the winter is. Obviously not talking insane snowstorms or anything, but a regular day driver in normal snow conditions.

Thoughts?
I think it would do fairly well in the winter. Huge tires - and the wheels are located at the extreme edges of the car... both a bonus if you are looking for traction and control (I used to live in Minnesota, so I'm used to the snow).

but remember - it is a rear wheel drive car, so that takes getting used to in the winter if you haven't driven it before.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
recko said:

Thoughts?
I'm not sure exactly where you are, but, the winters are mild here in Toronto and I'd say you could drive it year round if you had to. I drove a Solstice a few weeks back. I wouldn't want to drive it in a big snow storm but it would be doable.

I for one plan to never let my Sky see winter. I don't want the salt getting at her. Not even on the nice winter days (and that will be hard because I have little self control). I really think it is a summer fun car. It isn't really a practical car.

Besides if you haven't preordered and put a deposit down, you may have a hard taking delivery on one before next winter. I've had a deposit down since last summer. There are people who have had deposits down for a lot longer.

PM me if you do decide to get a Sky. Perhaps we can meet up sometime. There are a couple of other future Sky owners on here that are near by as well.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
The quick answer: YES. Don't try to use it to plow snow, but 1"-2" is fine, and plowed roads are definitely OK.

Don't try to make it home in weather you'd question a 4X4 in, though. It's not perfect, but I've seen them around MI all winter long.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
If you'd drive a Miata or even a 350Z in the weather in your area then I'd think you can drive a Solstice or Sky in the same weather.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
KappaMan said:
The quick answer: YES. Don't try to use it to plow snow, but 1"-2" is fine, and plowed roads are definitely OK.

Don't try to make it home in weather you'd question a 4X4 in, though. It's not perfect, but I've seen them around MI all winter long.
My fiero went well in the snow, as long as it was less than 3 or 4 inches, i got caught out one time in it and from the time i left work till i got within a mile of home it went from nothing to 5 inches of snow... needless to say I had to park it about a mile from the house and get my wife to come pick me up in our Blazer....

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
We get lots of snow...... here in northern illinois.. BUT... me, myself,.. .will NOT drive my BABY in snow.. nor will my BABY seeeee snow..... that is what my avalanche is for...... and... it would do ok.. it weighs enough not to slide around like my tracker.... ok.... done with my opinon... OMG... MY CAR IS ORDERED,.,.. STILLL WAY TOO EXCITED FROM YESTERDAY.. SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
rick112 said:
If you'd drive a Miata or even a 350Z in the weather in your area then I'd think you can drive a Solstice or Sky in the same weather.
In fact, a stock SKY or Solstice will OUTDRIVE a Miata/MX-5, the MR2, definitely the S2000 AND the Z4 in 1-1/2" of snow. Absolutely no doubt about that.

I'm sure this is not emphasized because people don't view convertibles as all weather vehicles. When I get my GXP or RedLine, I WILL drive it 4 seasons. Absolutely no doubt about that, too. :thumbs:

·
Registered
131 Posts
no problems

recko said:

Thoughts?

To give you an idea my Boyfriends Mum has the Mercedes SLK350 2 seater Kompressor & put some amazing tires on the car & put a bag of salt in the trunk & never had one problem on the #400 HWY all winter long. I can assure you that as little the car is, the tires are all that matter & to spend the extra couple hundread to get a great brand of rubber is well worth it & you will be well satisfied. I hope this relieves any thoughts of winter worries~

:cheers:

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
An inch and a half of snow isn't much here though. We can get 4-24 inches in one snowfall. If it was my primary vehicle I'd be concerned about the snow thing but it would depend on where in Southern Ontario you are.

If you are in Toronto I'd say probably OK. If you are in Barrie. I'd be thinking you'd be leaving the car at home a few days a year.

I've test driven the Solstice and I've driven small cars like the Nissan NX and this is from my experience.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
I fully intend to drive mine in the winter! Think the coldest we got here this year was one morning where it dipped to 29F. I think this years avearage was around 70 during the day, so I don't see any problems with it. :lol:

If you think you will have problems driving in the winter, it just means you live in the wrong location, you need to move where it is warmer!! :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Spag said:
I think it would do fairly well in the winter. Huge tires - and the wheels are located at the extreme edges of the car... both a bonus if you are looking for traction and control (I used to live in Minnesota, so I'm used to the snow).

but remember - it is a rear wheel drive car, so that takes getting used to in the winter if you haven't driven it before.
I have only driven rear wheel drive in the Snow when I lived in PA.:)
It does take some practice, on the first snow of the year I would go to an empty parking lot and practice driving, bringing the rear out of fishtails or skidding or maybe a full spin!

Okay maybe I was playing more than practicing. :D

The point is, once you are familiar with them there really is not much to driving a RWD in the snow!

·
Registered
45 Posts
just make sure to keep a hefty bag of salt and a small shovel in the trunk. we had a hell of a time in the winter with my parents crossfire when it snowed over about 2 inches, which wasn't much thankfully. just the added weight from the salt helped though. the summers with the top down more than make up for it though
:)

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I perfer RWD in snow over FWD.
However it is not the snow around Chicagland that I fear it is the salt. They plow the streets well around here so there is little danger of getting onto a road with more than 1-2 inches of snow. My SKY will sit in a garage anytime there is SALT on the street.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Hell if I put my butt in the car that would be weight enough, but BABY will not see snow:nono:

·
Registered
138 Posts
no no no

from ottawa canada. drive this baby in the winter? you should have your licence revoked. poo poo poo, no never. i'll give you a winter car.just kidding, but you really should'nt.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
her sky said:
from ottawa canada. drive this baby in the winter? you should have your licence revoked. poo poo poo, no never. i'll give you a winter car.just kidding, but you really should'nt.
Here, here.... I agree. Lets have him whipped as well.:thumbs:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts