Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually keep my DIC on "COOLANT" to keep a check on the engine temp since we only have idiot lights. Yesterday I was driving home and changed it to Outside air temp/odometer. The outside air said 104 degrees for a moment and then dropped to 103. It was hot but it did not seem that hot. After parking (in the shade) I checked it a couple of times and it stayed at 103 for a long time. I did not look at it again until this morning and now it seems to be working fine. My question is how accurate is the outside air temp on the DIC? Was it really 103 and why did it take so long for the temp to drop?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Judging from the outside thermometers around town I'd say the DIC was pretty acuurate. It really takes no expense to make a RTD to within a degree or two.
I'd say it was pretty acuurate. If you stand still -- the heat of you engine may heat the thing up (Don't know where the sensor is)

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Dude... I don't have an outside air temp on my DIC... :confused:

·
Registered
196 Posts
I noticed the temp drop 2 deg when we drove through a tree tunnel on on a country road.:cool:

·
Registered
684 Posts
brentil said:
Dude... I don't have an outside air temp on my DIC... :confused:
It's in there.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Barry said:
It's in there.
He has a Solstice and I think it is absent.

·
Registered
78 Posts
It can usually take up to 30 minutes for the temp to adjust itself. For instance if you have a black car, the temp is going to be high until you get going down the road and the heat isnt as concentrated

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
Driving from my house in the WIDE OPEN SPACES.... going along the river into town... i watch my temp go from..... between.... 6-10 degrees... difference going in and out of the tree cover..... :lol: i find it rather amusing.:lol: ..SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
185 Posts
GaryH said:
I usually keep my DIC on "COOLANT" to keep a check on the engine temp since we only have idiot lights. Yesterday I was driving home and changed it to Outside air temp/odometer. The outside air said 104 degrees for a moment and then dropped to 103. It was hot but it did not seem that hot. After parking (in the shade) I checked it a couple of times and it stayed at 103 for a long time. I did not look at it again until this morning and now it seems to be working fine. My question is how accurate is the outside air temp on the DIC? Was it really 103 and why did it take so long for the temp to drop?
Mine seems to be very accurate, I don't have a clue where the sensor is!

·
Registered
684 Posts
nighttripper said:
He has a Solstice and I think it is absent.
Sorry.:confused:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts