Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...here's my situation in a nutshell. I'm #7 or 8 (not sure which) on the list to order at my dealer in IL. I have requested an automatic simply because I have never driven a manual transmission...IN A CAR. I do however, ride a motorcycle...so I'm pretty sure I could pick it up rather easily. I actually wouldn't mind learning to drive stick...it's been on my life's list of things to do. Problem is, my husband is deadset against a manual trans. Says that he is lazy and prefers the car to do all the work for him...he just wants to sit back, relax and enjoy the ride. :rolleyes: Since he is paying for the car, I sort of feel obligated to abide by his wishes. On the otherhand, I just know that if we changed our request to a manual trans, we might be able to get imaged a lot sooner than our scheduled date of late May or early June. I don't have a beater car that I could practice on...nor do I know any friends that do. I would literally be learning how to drive a 5-spd on my new Sky if I go through with this plan. Part of me thinks it would be fun and fairly easy to learn on the Sky....yet a part of me thinks it's a really stupid idea in the event that I blow a clutch or something. Any advice or comments?

·
Registered
245 Posts
depends on how much you can convince your husband to buy a manual, really... it's his money :rolleyes: although, i'm sure if you beg and plead with him enough, he might give way... the sky will have nice short throws for easy learning (no fumbling to try and find gears) and since you ride a bike, your right, it most likely will be easy to learn... the feathering of the gas/clutch is basically the same :)

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
If you are comfortable with the transmittion on your bike I'd say you'll have know problems with picking up manual transmission in a car. You should be up and running with it in 10-20 minutes. Ask the dealer to take you out in a parking lot with something else that has standard.

BTW standard transmission will save you a lot of money. Perhaps enough to buy seasons tickets to something for your husband!:D

·
Registered
192 Posts
Tell your husband that you drive a manual and ride in an automatic. This is a driving car not luxury sedan. Get the stick and he will be glad you did.:yesnod:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
Linda... i dont live too far from you... i have an older tracker that i taught all my kids to drive... a 5 speed... fun little thing... been through alot.. PM me and we can get together... and YOU WILL LOVE IT... promise..... SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
07 Chili Pepper said:
Tell your husband that you drive a manual and ride in an automatic. This is a driving car not luxury sedan. Get the stick and he will be glad you did.:yesnod:

Trust me...I've been tryin'!!! :banghead: His belief is that if we lived in a less populated area where traffic isn't so bad, he'd let me get the manual. But since we live in a heavily congested area with nothing but stop and go traffic...he thinks having a manual would be pointless. I try and explain that the same theory applies to when I ride my Harley...that I'm still stuck in a lot of stop-n-go traffic on the bike...so it makes no difference to me if I were in a car. I don't think he's buyin' it, though. :nonod:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
nscrbug said:
Ok...here's my situation in a nutshell. I'm #7 or 8 (not sure which) on the list to order at my dealer in IL. I have requested an automatic simply because I have never driven a manual transmission...IN A CAR. I do however, ride a motorcycle...so I'm pretty sure I could pick it up rather easily. I actually wouldn't mind learning to drive stick...it's been on my life's list of things to do. Problem is, my husband is deadset against a manual trans. Says that he is lazy and prefers the car to do all the work for him...he just wants to sit back, relax and enjoy the ride. :rolleyes: Since he is paying for the car, I sort of feel obligated to abide by his wishes. On the otherhand, I just know that if we changed our request to a manual trans, we might be able to get imaged a lot sooner than our scheduled date of late May or early June. I don't have a beater car that I could practice on...nor do I know any friends that do. I would literally be learning how to drive a 5-spd on my new Sky if I go through with this plan. Part of me thinks it would be fun and fairly easy to learn on the Sky....yet a part of me thinks it's a really stupid idea in the event that I blow a clutch or something. Any advice or comments?
Take if from another gal who drives a semi & a has a motorcycle too, it will be a piece of cake to learn,You can do it :thumbs:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
nscrbug said:
Trust me...I've been tryin'!!! :banghead: His belief is that if we lived in a less populated area where traffic isn't so bad, he'd let me get the manual. But since we live in a heavily congested area with nothing but stop and go traffic...he thinks having a manual would be pointless. I try and explain that the same theory applies to when I ride my Harley...that I'm still stuck in a lot of stop-n-go traffic on the bike...so it makes no difference to me if I were in a car. I don't think he's buyin' it, though. :nonod:
My Friday visit to Tinley Saturn might help -- The dealer told me - he drove a manual SKY -- He said it is much more like a bike in that the clutch throw is SO short. Also -- the clutch is no hard to hold in alt all -- so even if you got stuck in Backed-up -- bumper to bumper traffic -- that it would be no big deal to hold in...

Of courseone reason I live here is we still count the cars we see on the way to Suday breakfast :)thumbs: )

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
nscrbug said:
he'd let me get the manual.
WOW Welcome to the 1950's.:leaving:

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'm actually learning to drive a 5-speed for the first time, because this car just begs for it. I took a few spins around the parking lot, and the shifter is very easy to use. I still have to get used to feathering the clutch, but the Sky seems to be easier than other cars I've practiced in.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rick112 said:
WOW Welcome to the 1950's.:leaving:

Hey sorry...but the guy is payin' for the car so I have to let him have some say in the decision.

·
Registered
41 Posts
This is my first manual transmission car. I too drive a motorcycle and it was pretty easy to get the hang of. I'm still a bit rusty, but the SKY is alot of fun to drive.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Sorry I am a **** disturber. I must say two things though if the car is for you you should decide how it's configured... The second thing is it's none of my business so I'm gona shut up now.:lol:

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
KrazyRedHead said:
This is my first manual transmission car. I too drive a motorcycle and it was pretty easy to get the hang of. I'm still a bit rusty, but the SKY is alot of fun to drive.
Did you find it confusing to go from the bike to the car? Specifically the difference in clutching/shifting...meaning that on the bike you clutch with your hand, but in the car with your foot...and the same with shifting? That's the part that concerns me the most...that I'll get all discombobulated switching from my 'bike mode' to 'car mode'...does that make sense? :willy:

·
Registered
256 Posts
It's funny how this topic comes up today. My SKY was ordered in manual and I've never driven one in my life. Last weekend I went around the parking lot in my cousin's Scion and was frustrated. Today my friend told me to take his '90 Miata and just drive it all day. I took it out on the open road for the first time by myself. While I did have a few problems (ie. stalling going into first especially on a hill, putting it into 5th sometimes instead of 3rd, and not getting up to speed fast enough), I think I'm getting better. It's just indimidating to drive one for the first time on a major freeway. I need to find some country roads. Right now it's a pain in the a$$ to drive one but I think I'll really like it. I'm thinking I have at least another month till the SKY gets here.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
rick112 said:
Sorry I am a **** disturber. I must say two things though if the car is for you you should decide how it's configured... The second thing is it's none of my business so I'm gona shut up now.:lol:
No big deal...you don't have to shut up. :cool: The car will primarily be for me...but he will also be driving it...especially on weekends when we spend time together because he fits better in the driver's seat (he's 6'3") than in the passenger seat. Just had a talk with him about this whole manual trans thing...he finally gave in and said if I really want the manual, then get it. :D We'll see...I will be talking with the GM of my dealer tomorrow and will find out exactly where I am on the list to order, and if choosing a manual will bump me up on the list. Stay tuned.........

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,570 Posts
Stick Training

I drove my 1st stick the other day... well, my friend let me drive him back to the hotel the night before his wedding in his 1995 SL2. After stalling the first try, I was able to go three times from a stop without stalling.

Yesterday, I was able to drive a friends 2006 Cooper S for about an hour. I was stalling and rolling backwards and chirping the tires like there was no tomorrow. He kept saying release the clutch and press on the gas evenly. My question is there must be a better ratio since they are not equal in resistance. Also, he said to press the gas 1st and then the clutch... but it seemed to stall more those times. Any suggestions for my next drive around???

·
Registered
165 Posts
My husband drove the dealers demo which is a stick (he likes sticks) He didnt care for it too much. I think maybe partly because it is small. Anyway, today he drove my automatic and loved it. Felt that it had a little more oomph than the manual and gave a smoother ride. I didn't drive the stick so I can't say for myself.

And, every stick that you drive will have a different feel. Not just the type of car, but the individual car. I've driven many sticks in my earlier years.

:driving: now.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
I love this Forum, better than TV...Seal9:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
483 Posts
todaresqSL2 said:
I drove my 1st stick the other day... well, my friend let me drive him back to the hotel the night before his wedding in his 1995 SL2. After stalling the first try, I was able to go three times from a stop without stalling.

Yesterday, I was able to drive a friends 2006 Cooper S for about an hour. I was stalling and rolling backwards and chirping the tires like there was no tomorrow. He kept saying release the clutch and press on the gas evenly. My question is there must be a better ratio since they are not equal in resistance. Also, he said to press the gas 1st and then the clutch... but it seemed to stall more those times. Any suggestions for my next drive around???
I've had my SKY for 2 days now, and it's my first stick. I've impressed myself so far, only stalling in parking lots a couple of times. It's all about finding the friction point on the clutch and releasing nice and slow. Give it some gas while you're you're doing that, and the worst you can do it chirp the tires a bit :thumbs: .

1 - 20 of 30 Posts