Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of experiences have you guys/gals had trying to drive with top up in terms of visibility?

It seems like it would be extremely difficult to see out of your blind spot and the small side view mirrors would seem to offer little help.

What do you guys/gals think?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I've driven with the top up numerous times, and personally I think it does impair my visibility somewhat. Could be my height - 5'6"...I don't know. It does feel rather confining with the top up...at least to me, it does. Perhaps it's the dark color of the top that makes it seem more confined and closed in...or maybe I'm just claustrophobic and I never knew it...:lol: I definitely prefer the visibility with the top down. I guess it's just a matter of getting used to it with the top up.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I have no blind spots while driving with the top up. You just need to make sure your mirrors are adjusted correctly.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
I'm six-foot-one. My biggest complaint about top-upping is the view of the road ahead around curves. The top comes way down on the sides of the windshield. Twisties on hills are quite exhilirating when you can't see what's around the next bend...

It's a pretty typical "roadster" view, probably better than the old Porsche Speedster, and of course your rear window will stay clear which is a huge plus...

I come from the school of teeny, tiny rear-view mirrors. The Porsche 356 mirror was no larger than the bottom of a Coke can, and on the driver's side only. You get used to establishing a situational awareness of the positions of all the other vehicles around you. Drivers have gotten lazy nowadays and rely too much on mirrors.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
At 6'2"" I haven't encountered any visual difficulty, other than seeing the traffic signals when stopped, but I easily compensated that problem with my SKY lean, very comfortble actually,don't even think about it now, a conditioned response.

·
Registered
80 Posts
At first I found it a bit daunting. After pushing the seat back and adjusting the seat so I sit a little lower in the seat (Im 5'-8") and adjusting the mirrors correctly I have had no problems except when getting on the highway. I have to do a couple extra look backs and then focus on the mirror. All backing is done with the mirrrors. A true low rider IMO. That garage door opening looks pretty narrow when you look through those mirrors while backing in as well. Once you get use to it though it's really No problem. Basically the same principle as driving a dump truck with no rear windows but turns a-lot quicker.

·
Registered
388 Posts
No problem with blind spots if the mirrors are adjusted correctly. I'm 5'5 and husband is 6'1.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I have no probs with it, just make sure your mirrors are adjusted. Sometimes when I glance over my left shoulder, my Sky's right booty cheek for a second makes me think there is a car there. The mirrors are key. Don't adjust them to look at the rear of the car, adjust them out so they pick up when the car passes out of your rear view.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,287 Posts
No Problems Here

skywulf said:
I have no probs with it, just make sure your mirrors are adjusted. Sometimes when I glance over my left shoulder, my Sky's right booty cheek for a second makes me think there is a car there. The mirrors are key. Don't adjust them to look at the rear of the car, adjust them out so they pick up when the car passes out of your rear view.
The key is how you "fine tune" your mirror adjustment.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
You get used to them. And you learn where to look. As noted above the mirrors adjusted properly really helps.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
You do get used to the visibility and use the mirrors more.
I did get a bit of a surprise in Sat's twisties when my view around a curve was blocked.
No doubt will get used to that?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Speaking of mirrors....

Does anybody else here have a problem with really bad vibrations on the REARVIEW mirror inside? I have noticed that mine vibrates pretty badly when at speed, making it very difficult to see what is behind me. :eek: :confused: Is this just a characteristic of the car that I'll have to live with it...or could there be some kind of adjustment made to lessen the vibes?

·
Registered
574 Posts
The first time we drove with the top up..........

was in a torrential downpour! We went out for a drive and a thunderstorm rolled in and after the first few big drops of water, we put the top up.

The visibility range takes a few minutes to get used to.....but slow and steady and some pretty defensive driving got us through OK.

We were very impressed with the head room and comfort.....and no leaks!

But I must say I kept an eye out for every underpass in case of hail.....now that would really ruin a morning!.......:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
nscrbug said:
Does anybody else here have a problem with really bad vibrations on the REARVIEW mirror inside? I have noticed that mine vibrates pretty badly when at speed, making it very difficult to see what is behind me. :eek: :confused: Is this just a characteristic of the car that I'll have to live with it...or could there be some kind of adjustment made to lessen the vibes?
Can't be as bad as a Harley mirror vibration at speed :D

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
kwayne said:
Can't be as bad as a Harley mirror vibration at speed :D
:lol: Ha, ha...very true! It's definitely not as bad as my Harley mirrors...but the vibration is there.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
nscrbug said:
Did you check to see if there are any set screws to tighten; to steady it more? I get lots of bounce with the bass of my Monsoon but very little at highway speeds, -- the mirror could be a tad loose..

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
Did you check to see if there are any set screws to tighten; to steady it more? I get lots of bounce with the bass of my Monsoon but very little at highway speeds, -- the mirror could be a tad loose..
Good thinking, Rick...I will certainly look into it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts