Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It made me feel small like the S2000 did. :banghead:

The one I drove was a 5 spd manual. It is underpowered IMO. it's only 2800 lbs & it feels dog slow. It needs another 25hp. :(

It handled GREAT though & they look as nice in person as they do online. :thumbs:

The clutch feels pretty good and is very easy on your leg.

Top is manual & it seems like GM said **** the top just get the car out there. It doesn't fit snug. It has too many spots that are loose. :brentil:

Overall I think it'd be a fun little summer weekend car, but I am looking for a new daily driver and this won't cut it. So now I know that I don't need to bother waiting for the Redline version.

This is definitely a huge step in the right direction for Saturn though. :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
2,302 Posts
I drove a SKY today also! The position of everything was just right, very comfortable. I was a little surprised how similar the pick-up and suspension felt in comparison to my 96 SC2 - good thing that I have always been happy with how my SC2 drives!

One thing of note - the SKY sounds Awesome! I'm double checking to make sure that everything was stock, but I really like how the engine purred...

In all honesty, it is exactly what I expected. I am really looking forward to getting my own!!

:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
I've driven S2000, Miata, MSM, MX-5, and Solstice and I have to say the Solstice is defintely the best fitting of the ones listed. The S2000 is extremely coffin like and I'm not that big (nice car though).

If you're used to V6/V8 cars then it takes some bit getting used to how to properly drive a car with an engine like the Sky/Solstice. All I can say is when I race my Solstice I think he's got more then enough power to get me around the track faster then a lot of cars with far more power.

The only spots loose on my top are the AFBTS's but why buy this car to keep the top up? :D

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
There is alot of power to be pulled out of the 2.4L, very little has be done to fill the potential of this power plant. The 2.4 has 4 bolt mains and added oiling to the pistons so it can take the stress. With a shorte header, and dual ex, and a retune of the computer the SOL's are in the 200 to 210 hp. the power graft will be posted on the SOL site in the next few days. the S2000 has 235 and no torque. The SKY and the SOL will be the number one after market platforms in the next year....SEAL9:cheers:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
seal9 said:
There is alot of power to be pulled out of the 2.4L, very little has be done to fill the potential of this power plant. The 2.4 has 4 bolt mains and added oiling to the pistons so it can take the stress. With a shorte header, and dual ex, and a retune of the computer the SOL's are in the 200 to 210 hp. the power graft will be posted on the SOL site in the next few days. the S2000 has 235 and no torque. The SKY and the SOL will be the number one after market platforms in the next year....SEAL9:cheers:
Anything can be made fast with time & $. You're missing my point. It needs about 25 more hp in stock trim. In otehr words, they put the car on the market without the power it should have IMO. :banghead:

The issue is not how reliable or solid the engine is. I'm sure those aspects of it are fine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
brentil said:
If you're used to V6/V8 cars then it takes some bit getting used to how to properly drive a car with an engine like the Sky/Solstice.
I asume you're talking road course. I'm talking straight line speed and, in those cases, the car can either move or it can't & my verdict on the Saturn is no go.

Are there any estimated 1/4 times for these cars out there? I am hoping it just feels slow. :cheers: :lol:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I have the same feeling as you, i just drove one on Monday and felt was to underpowered especially for how fast it looks. Is ok though, the aftermarket will be making a pretty penny on me! :D

CAI, exhaust and a tune should get us up around 200hp which should be fine. If not, then there is always the turbo thats about to be released.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thank you

Thanks so much for your honest opinion as it seems not many people voice there's on here for fear of being atacked! :) I agree with you on the roof, my sister's SOL leaks in the car wash & is very loose and I was actually hoping that was going to be one thing Saturn would "perfect" before shipping the cars out but I guess not.

Thanks again for your opinion we all truly appreciate it, even if some of us come back to you in a vulgar/defensive manor. Were all a little protective of our little roadsters! lol

:cheers:

GodMachine said:
It made me feel small like the S2000 did. :banghead:

The one I drove was a 5 spd manual. It is underpowered IMO. it's only 2800 lbs & it feels dog slow. It needs another 25hp. :(

It handled GREAT though & they look as nice in person as they do online. :thumbs:

The clutch feels pretty good and is very easy on your leg.

Top is manual & it seems like GM said **** the top just get the car out there. It doesn't fit snug. It has too many spots that are loose. :brentil:

Overall I think it'd be a fun little summer weekend car, but I am looking for a new daily driver and this won't cut it. So now I know that I don't need to bother waiting for the Redline version.

This is definitely a huge step in the right direction for Saturn though. :thumbs:

·
Registered
137 Posts
The top fit very snug on the Sky that we drove.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Chloe said:
Thanks so much for your honest opinion as it seems not many people voice there's on here for fear of being atacked! :) I agree with you on the roof, my sister's SOL leaks in the car wash & is very loose and I was actually hoping that was going to be one thing Saturn would "perfect" before shipping the cars out but I guess not.

Thanks again for your opinion we all truly appreciate it, even if some of us come back to you in a vulgar/defensive manor. Were all a little protective of our little roadsters! lol

:cheers:
I have taken mine to the high pressure car wash, and it never leaked a drop....

·
Registered
182 Posts
brentil said:
If you're used to V6/V8 cars then it takes some bit getting used to how to properly drive a car with an engine like the Sky/Solstice. All I can say is when I race my Solstice I think he's got more then enough power to get me around the track faster then a lot of cars with far more power.:D
The originator of this thread posted back on Feb 15 that he would only consider buying a Redline, so his opinion was already made up concerning the stock Sky being underpowered.

It depends what you want to do with it, my opinion is what in the heck good is 90 more horsepower in this small car for driving on the streets? 175 hp is plenty for this small car for cruising around on summer evenings or through the curves in the Blue Ridge.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I have gotten to see my share of blue lights in the rear view with boring no-power cars. Its looks and the fact that it rolls will be all the power I can stand! If you ain't racing, it is enough that it is racy in my opinion :D

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
VUETH1S said:
The originator of this thread posted back on Feb 15 that he would only consider buying a Redline, so his opinion was already made up concerning the stock Sky being underpowered.

It depends what you want to do with it, my opinion is what in the heck good is 90 more horsepower in this small car for driving on the streets? 175 hp is plenty for this small car for cruising around on summer evenings or through the curves in the Blue Ridge.
You can't really argue about this, its all a matter of personal opinion or taste. I've seen people post before "how much hp do you need, more is uneccessary" but people buy high HP cars all the time, they may not "need" it but they want it. corvettes, mustangs, z4, s2000, porches, lexus 2 seater, 350z, the list goes on and on. These are cars that have more HP and people buy them all the time so we can't be the only ones who like more HP.
granted, all these examples are a bit more in the pocket book, so my opinion is that the sky/sol are just fine stock for the price range that they fill and will probably satisfy majority of buyers which I think is what they were shooting for when they designed them.

but don't crack on us for wanting to bump it up a bit, thats just happens to be what I like and in my case, I'm not talking 400hp mallet, just a few aftermarket bolt ons to get it up around 200hp or maybe adding the turbo thats due out to get it up around 260-280hp. That can't be to outta hand considering that people are already pawning over the redline which will have 260hp. I haven't heard anyone crack on the redline yet for having "to much HP"

in my case, my mind wasn't really made up until I drove it on Monday. I was thinking I would need to bump it up but after driving it, I'm definately going to go aftermarket.
anyway, just a couple of guys opinions/tastes in cars. thats all.

·
Registered
18,099 Posts
Cannot Satisfy All the People ALL of the TIMe

I drove the automatic and it certainly has enough HP. I don't understand what our members r looking for. This is not a race car. It is a car that screams look at ME. I don't believe our members r taking this car to run on a track. Enjoy the drive. It moves when u push on the accellerator and it stops when u brake...did I miss something? Rhetorically asked!

MarlboroMike

The fault finder finds fault even in Paradise

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I think it is fine that people want more power. I just caint handle it is all I am saying. :)

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
GodMachine said:
Anything can be made fast with time & $. You're missing my point. It needs about 25 more hp in stock trim. In otehr words, they put the car on the market without the power it should have IMO. QUOTE]

If you really want horsepower, then go down to the local Kawasaki dealer and buy the new Ninja 1000, at 181 hp for 435 lbs you get about 2.4 lb/hp, and there isn't a production automobile made that can beat that.:thumbs:

·
Registered
804 Posts
usmc said:
I have the same feeling as you, i just drove one on Monday and felt was to underpowered especially for how fast it looks. Is ok though, the aftermarket will be making a pretty penny on me! :D

CAI, exhaust and a tune should get us up around 200hp which should be fine. If not, then there is always the turbo thats about to be released.

Who cares if it has 1000 horses! You really don't want to go fast in this thing anyway- people won't be able to admire it if you leave them in the dust! Got to let people drool. Granted, this is coming from a guy who bought an SL with only 85 horses in 1991- seemed to pass cars ok back then.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
VUETH1S said:
Right, I was going to buy a redline, but that doesn't mean that the base model is not underpowered IMO. It's the same car just more HP w/the redline. ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Kustomkaps said:
Who cares if it has 1000 horses! You really don't want to go fast in this thing anyway- people won't be able to admire it if you leave them in the dust! Got to let people drool. Granted, this is coming from a guy who bought an SL with only 85 horses in 1991- seemed to pass cars ok back then.
I hope this is a joke. :lol:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts