Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys here's the thing, last week after coming back home from a friends place i parked the car, waited 2 minutes and when i turned the key to turn the car off it did the same thing it would do if i started it in gear (hiccup).

Didn't pay much attention (although i was surprised when it made that sudden movement) until yesterday when i turned the key to start it up and all the gauges went to bellow zero, speed, RPM and even fuel.

It did turn on the 2nd time i tried but yes now i am worried.
Is this the infamous missfire or something else?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As far as I know the automatic was never offered in Europe in the Opel GT.
I thought only the other type was available as an auto regardless of place.

Anyways these two have only happened to me? Find that strange to believe.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Never had that on the sky but have had the needle thing happen in my explorer...usually due to bad battery or loose major connection. Not much to go off here, unfortunately a worst case scenario not being able to replicate it, and (seemingly) two very different issues.

Curious question- do euro cars have a clutch/neutral safety switch? Having to start with the clutch depressed is a US thing I think?

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Never had that on the sky but have had the needle thing happen in my explorer...usually due to bad battery or loose major connection. Not much to go off here, unfortunately a worst case scenario not being able to replicate it, and (seemingly) two very different issues.

Curious question- do euro cars have a clutch/neutral safety switch? Having to start with the clutch depressed is a US thing I think?
The car is the same as the Redline so yes in order to start you need to press the clutch.

As for the first part if it was a battery error the lights wouldn't turn on, not the exterior nor the interior ones (plus the battery is like 4 months old). My lights all turned on and so did the gauges....They just fell straight down like the engine was unable to start or something like that.....Heard many times about a misfire and i thought this could be it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
After reading stuff on this forum and from personal experience a bad or weak battery can make your car do strange things. How old is your battery? if it's old you may want to start there. :cheers:

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After reading stuff on this forum and from personal experience a bad or weak battery can make your car do strange things. How old is your battery? if it's old you may want to start there. :cheers:
4-5 months old and it's of a higher capacity than the stock battery.

Besides even if it was the battery that would explain the car not turning on (but like i said all the lights did) and not the "hiccup" when i turned it off.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I thought only the other type was available as an auto regardless of place.
Actually, there were more automatic Redlines than manuals (and also more automatic "base" cars than manuals).

For 2008, there were 4911 Auto redlines and 3252 manuals.
For 2008, there were 3454 Auto base and 1277 manuals.

For 2009, there were 1429 Auto redlines, and 838 manuals.
For 2009, there were 1478 Auto base, and 433 manuals.

I don't have full data for 2007, but am pretty sure that the split was similar.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I vote for battery. It's possible for a new one to go bad quickly (happened to me on a different car).
Ok but how could the battery make the car behave that way when i turned it off? It was the same like when you turn it on and there's a gear in already (it makes a sudden move and stops).

Also if the battery was faulty wouldn't the lights and instruments stay dead?

Anyways if it's the battery no worries, i was afraid it was something else far more serious.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
I would throw up a theory here... a poor ground strap contact. You started the engine and the starter moved a bit, caused the ground point to fail briefly, which effectively turned the car off. Needles moved as they would when turning car on/off.

If it starts happening again, go round checking all the engine/bay ground point contacts.

The above is just a theory - could also be the battery ;)

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would throw up a theory here... a poor ground strap contact. You started the engine and the starter moved a bit, caused the ground point to fail briefly, which effectively turned the car off. Needles moved as they would when turning car on/off.

If it starts happening again, go round checking all the engine/bay ground point contacts.

The above is just a theory - could also be the battery ;)
Will do but that doesn't explain the first issue....If i'm lucky and its a battery / ground issue good but i am worried because of the first thing.....
In any case the car didn't record any codes and the engine light is not turned on so that's good i guess.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Will do but that doesn't explain the first issue....If i'm lucky and its a battery / ground issue good but i am worried because of the first thing.....
In any case the car didn't record any codes and the engine light is not turned on so that's good i guess.
Ohhh, my bad. I read the two things as happening at the same time :)

The second one then points more to the battery.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "misfire" issue. Neither of these things is the symptom of a misfire.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ohhh, my bad. I read the two things as happening at the same time :)

The second one then points more to the battery.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "misfire" issue. Neither of these things is the symptom of a misfire.
Well never had a missfire with the car so i don't even know what it does when that happens so since i turned the key and the engine didn't start i thought this could be it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
When you encountered it the first time, you mentioned it lurched forward. It was in neutral (and/or clutch was depressed)? Am I understanding that right? I would be much more concerned about the clutch engaging while it shouldn't have.

Second instance seems clear. I'd still say battery connection or ground wire, as others pointed out. If the car lurched forward, it could have unsettled the battery or knocked something loose.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts