Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my sky has a black top that is sun faded. I want to use 303 cleaner and protector but between the cleaning and waterproofing, I want to dye it back to black. Anyone do this? Raggtop is fine to use too, I just can't seem to find anyone who colored and 303 and Raggtop don't seem to make a dye. Thanks

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
I'm following. I'm super into this as well. I bought 3M water protectant, but I want to buy it first.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I mixed a container of Black Kiwi leather shoe dye in a quart of water. Ran the car through car wash to clean it before dying. I was going to use Rit but couldn't find any locally. Used a portion of a microfiber cloth and latex gloves to apply it. It took a couple of coats to look even, letting it dry before coats. Be careful when applying so as not to get it on other surfaces. Ran it through a car wash after sitting for a week and still looks good after a month and second car wash. It didn't wash out. Mold was starting to grow on my NA tan top. Sprayed it with Oxyclean Total Care spray from WM. Removed the scrubber from the top of the can before spraying the entire can contents on the top, then ran through carwash after sitting for 15 minutes. It worked amazingly well to remove the mold stain and look like new.

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
I mixed a container of Black Kiwi leather shoe dye in a quart of water. Ran the car through car wash to clean it before dying. I was going to use Rit but couldn't find any locally. Used a portion of a microfiber cloth and latex gloves to apply it. It took a couple of coats to look even, letting it dry before coats. Be careful when applying so as not to get it on other surfaces. Ran it through a car wash after sitting for a week and still looks good after a month and second car wash. It didn't wash out. Mold was starting to grow on my NA tan top. Sprayed it with Oxyclean Total Care spray from WM. Removed the scrubber from the top of the can before spraying the entire can contents on the top, then ran through carwash after sitting for 15 minutes. It worked amazingly well to remove the mold stain and look like new.
Rit is super sold out here in Phoenix... that's a weird COVID casualty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I ordered what Robotech suggested, I also bought the 303 cleaner and protectant, I'll clean it friday, dye it saturday and protect it sunday. I'll post back with results. It's a black top, on a 2008, that was replaced under warranty in 2011.

·
Super Moderator
11,488 Posts
You will need a paintbrush and a small container as well. I used a used plastic ice cream pint to hold the dye while I worked. It was nice because I could put the lid on it when I was between coats.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts