Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the Solstice site JT72 posted the new dyno of his Sol with CAI, ECM tune, Shorty Headers, and Cats......in stock form the dyno showed 135 hp to the wheels, with the changes he made 165.4 hp to the wheels over 30 hp for less than 1400.00 or 46.00 per hp not to bad for bolt on equipment, that should put the hp at 207 appox...Seal9:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
65 Posts
We are getting great reviews from all of the Solstice owners that have put on our shorty header! :)
We are also going to be doing a tri-y setup _ 4 into 2 into 1 header, this will be a better suited long tube header for this motor. it will come with a high-flow all Stainless steel matrix converter or a cat-delete pipe depending on the customers request.
Stay tuned to our threads, as we are going to be doing a lot of development work for the Sky/ Solstice! :willy:

·
Registered
102 Posts
I could care less about a supposed peak HP gain of 30. My car runs at that peak RPM about 1% of the time. Where are the dyno charts and where is the certification that the two dyno runs were performed on the same engine during identical (or corrected) environmental conditions.
I also don't want to see rear wheel horsepower figures. The dynos runs should be performed exactly as the factory requires - at the flywheel.
I want an independent dyno test result, from more than one shop. I also want to see the resulting gas mileage and full emission data. What I've seen so far wouldn't prompt me to even inquire about prices. Increasing the noise of the exhaust is not a positive in my book, and so far that is the only result I would expect.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
seal9 said:
On the Solstice site JT72 posted the new dyno of his Sol with CAI, ECM tune, Shorty Headers, and Cats......in stock form the dyno showed 135 hp to the wheels, with the changes he made 165.4 hp to the wheels over 30 hp for less than 1400.00 or 46.00 per hp not to bad for bolt on equipment, that should put the hp at 207 appox...Seal9:lol: :lol: :lol:
correct me if I'm wrong---

but wouldn't this be right--

stock:
Hp = 177 at flywheel
HP = 135 at wheels this is a 24% loss from flywheel to wheels. (which is about right, 20% is a general rule of thumb)

so,

if after mods--- HP at wheels = 165.4
then factor in the 24% loss from flywheel to wheels- then you actual flywheel HP is not 207 but 218hp

218hp(flywheel) * 24%loss = 165.68 (give or take a few)

·
Registered
65 Posts
GMguy said:
I could care less about a supposed peak HP gain of 30. My car runs at that peak RPM about 1% of the time. Where are the dyno charts and where is the certification that the two dyno runs were performed on the same engine during identical (or corrected) environmental conditions.
I also don't want to see rear wheel horsepower figures. The dynos runs should be performed exactly as the factory requires - at the flywheel.
I want an independent dyno test result, from more than one shop. I also want to see the resulting gas mileage and full emission data. What I've seen so far wouldn't prompt me to even inquire about prices. Increasing the noise of the exhaust is not a positive in my book, and so far that is the only result I would expect.
Your going to be a tough sell:cool:
Check out more threads on happy customers from the Solstice forum, they are even getting better gas milage :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
yep, I was close... got this from Seal9's source at the sol forum. of course, different dynos can yield different results as so can the experience of the guy doing the dyno but the below chart seems be inline (within 5whp) with what others posted on the sol forum who had dyno checks---

I can't wait!!!

HP, Torque curves, stock 143 WHP and 177 BHP

ECM retune, stock between 151 - 154 WHP 192 - 196 BHP

ECM retune with only intake mod 155 - 156 WHP 199 - 201 BHP
ECM retune with only exhaust mod 156 - 157 WHP 201 - 203 BHP
ECM retune with exhaust and header mods 159 - 161 WHP 207 - 211 BHP
ECM retune with intake and exhaust mods 158 - 159 WHP 205 - 207 BHP
ECM retune with intake, exhaust, and header mods 161 -164 WHP 211- 216 BHP

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi USMC, watch the CAI when you get it Kappa has had his supplier send the wrong filter, I just opened mine and had to call them today, it's about 1/2 in to large to fit the pipe, They have to send a replacement...No real hurry don't have the car yet..SEAL9:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
thanks for the info!

I was thinking of changing to the GM cai only because the service department told me I was taking chances with possible warranty work going with non gm parts and because its CARB certified but the more I think about it, if I'm going to take chances with header/dual exhaust then I might as well not worry about it.

still trying to make up my mind.

also, I will only by the parts mentioned in my sig if they are CARB certified. I don't want to have to swap all the original parts back if some bored cop has me open the hood. Cali sux for this sort of thing

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like your numbers, I think your math is right. I would be very happy with 218, how do you feel.....Seal9 PS: was with LRRP for 4 months, hard to keep up with them...:willy:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Kappa Cai Vs Gm Cai

IF ANYONE CARES.....

If you look at these two installed.....it's clear which one is going to give you better flow....The Kappa CAI has almost NO BEND...The GM CAI has a HUGE BEND.....The best way for air to flow is straight....

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure this one out.

I'm going with the Kappa CAI.

RedSky

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
REDSKY said:
IF ANYONE CARES.....

If you look at these two installed.....it's clear which one is going to give you better flow....The Kappa CAI has almost NO BEND...The GM CAI has a HUGE BEND.....The best way for air to flow is straight....

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure this one out.

I'm going with the Kappa CAI.

RedSky
my reason for considering the GM cai had absolutely nothing to do with performance. not sure how you got that from my post. I'm more concerned with being CARB certified. That is a BIG deal if you live in Cali

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
seal9 said:
I like your numbers, I think your math is right. I would be very happy with 218, how do you feel.....Seal9 PS: was with LRRP for 4 months, hard to keep up with them...:willy:
I think 218 will keep me happy for a few years. I do want to get the hahn turbo at some point but not ready spend that kinda of money just yet.

you ran with those guys for 4 months! hrdcore stuff!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Actually JT72 135WHP is not the norm for the Kappa 2.4L Ecotech, is more like 141- 143WHP, so his numbers are more inline with about 209.
His dyno was a DynaPack and the numbers from my chart are with a Mustang so there are some differences, also if you want to get into the 210+ you must go with a Long tube Header and either NO Cat or a High Flow one.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
percentages

usmc said:
correct me if I'm wrong---

but wouldn't this be right--

stock:
Hp = 177 at flywheel
HP = 135 at wheels this is a 24% loss from flywheel to wheels. (which is about right, 20% is a general rule of thumb)

so,

if after mods--- HP at wheels = 165.4
then factor in the 24% loss from flywheel to wheels- then you actual flywheel HP is not 207 but 218hp

218hp(flywheel) * 24%loss = 165.68 (give or take a few)
Actually - if you take 177 flywheel x 76% effective transfer = 135 wheels
then you have to use 165 wheel / 76% effective transfer = 217 flywheel

or you would have to write it like so
(177 flywheel -135 wheels) / 135 wheels = 31.1% gain from flywheel to wheels
165 wheels + (165 wheels x 31.1% gain) = 215 flywheel

In other words a loss of 24% from flywheel to wheels is actually a 31% gain from wheels to flywheel.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Lil GTO said:
Actually - if you take 177 flywheel x 76% effective transfer = 135 wheels
then you have to use 165 wheel / 76% effective transfer = 217 flywheel

or you would have to write it like so
(177 flywheel -135 wheels) / 135 wheels = 31.1% gain from flywheel to wheels
165 wheels + (165 wheels x 31.1% gain) = 215 flywheel

In other words a loss of 24% from flywheel to wheels is actually a 31% gain from wheels to flywheel.
are the results the same in the end" (+or- 5hp)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts