Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if you can use the new E-85 gasoline in our babies?.. i know with my avalanche i can.... just wondering.... sure would be alot cheaper.. and cleaner.... SkyBaby-07

ugh... still gonna post this.. but Brian just said.. NO...

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
azote said:
I don't think so

just thought i would ask..... apparently Saturn, when Brian called them said their vehicles dont accept it... UGH... ty... SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
802 Posts
SkyBaby said:
Does anyone know if you can use the new E-85 gasoline in our babies?.. i know with my avalanche i can.... just wondering.... sure would be alot cheaper.. and cleaner.... SkyBaby-07
If you put holes in the floor for your feet and helped it along like the "flintstones" it might work.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
eldeeko said:
If you put holes in the floor for your feet and helped it along like the "flintstones" it might work.
wow... Fred better be with me...... Wilma didnt have to work that hard... did she?. ugh... ok.. ty...... LOVE ALFRED.... he is sooo adorable...... SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
E85 ethanol - diferent fuel delivery system required, I think. Not same as gasoline - fossil fuels (different hydrocarbon makeup) Ethanol - grain based. I may be wrong though. I am covered either way, wheat crop is growing on our section, except where the christmas tree, oil storage tanks, and metering shed is. Gotta love it!:D :thumbs:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Ernest said:
E85 ethanol - diferent fuel delivery system required, I think. Not same as gasoline - fossil fuels (different hydrocarbon makeup) Ethanol - grain based. I may be wrong though. I am covered either way, wheat crop is growing on our section, except where the christmas tree, oil storage tanks, and metering shed is. Gotta love it!:D :thumbs:
The difference is that ethanol is corrosive and dries out rubber seals and hoses. The fuel lines (or any hoses that contact the fuel) need to be made of material that will not degrade from contacting the fuel. Also, stoiciometric air/fuel ratio is higher for E-85 so a different tune has to be used. The Flex Fuel Vehicles can detect the difference between E-10 (current gasoline) and E-85, then adjust the tune accordingly.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Most new cars have o-rings made with silicone, not rubber. Alcohol affects rubber, not silicone. A lot of the new cars, especially those made by GM are made for ethenol. The owners manual should have the information on what formulation of gasoline the car will use. Until you read it, unless someone here has the car, and thus the owner's manual, don't believe them... :nono:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TexSon said:
Most new cars have o-rings made with silicone, not rubber. Alcohol affects rubber, not silicone. A lot of the new cars, especially those made by GM are made for ethenol. The owners manual should have the information on what formulation of gasoline the car will use. Until you read it, unless someone here has the car, and thus the owner's manual, don't believe them... :nono:
I agree...... when we called Saturn and asked.. JUST TO DOUBLE CHECK... once again, they said..... no e-85 for SATURUN cars..... that is ok.. i can get it in my avalanche til them.... cut some costs for now..... save up for my long roadtrips with my baby... SkyBaby-07

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
The current 2.4L VVT ECOTEC LE5 is not an E-85 capable engine.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
SkyBaby said:

SkyBaby -- I'll give you the cleaner part -- but cheaper?? If you consider that your e-85 gets about 15-18% LESS milage from E-85 and if you are lucky you'll get 10-12% cheaper price. Also - it has (in some enghines) led to a loss of power. In the long run - you burn more E-85 than gasoline. Most people call it a wash.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rick Tinley Park said:
SkyBaby -- I'll give you the cleaner part -- but cheaper?? If you consider that your e-85 gets about 15-18% LESS milage from E-85 and if you are lucky you'll get 10-12% cheaper price. Also - it has (in some enghines) led to a loss of power. In the long run - you burn more E-85 than gasoline. Most people call it a wash.
Well..... i use the e-85 in the avalanche... i usually get about 400 or so miles per tank using premium.... and with the e-85,,, it is just a little less...... ugh... that is ok.... i put the good stuff in and all will be ok.. SkyBaby-07

1 - 12 of 12 Posts