Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Easy way to make 440 horsepower in a Redline. Keep OEM air filter housing and turbo intake hose. Drop in a K&N air filter. Install DDM or RPM intercooler and DDM charge pipes, Use OEM style spring loaded hose clamps at all connections. Install ZZP ported head with stage 2 cams using ARP studs instead of bolts. Install Opel larger fuel injectors. Use improved one piece timing chain bolt. Trim fusebox steel mounting support to make clearance for turbo. Mount ZFR or Z54 turbo to OEM exhaust manifold and heat shield. Mount the turbo actuator on the right hand shock mount with fabricated bracket and use a cable to attach to turbo bypass valve arm. Keep OEM catalytic converter and exhaust system. Install OEM turbo heat shield. Fabricate bracket to stabilize OEM turbo heat shield. Install GMPP Tmap sensors. Relocate the power Steering reservoir. Install AC Delco 41-108 spark plugs. Get it tuned.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
There is a general perception that when you exceed something like 400 bhp, it is a good idea to consider replacing pistons and probably rods. That is generally because the incidence of blown engines starts to increase around that point.

Hope you win at 'engine roulette', but bear in mind that if you don't, the rebuild will cost you more than the improvements would have in the first place. You place your bet, you spin the wheel (big wheel in your case) and you take your chances.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For horsepower reference: 2020 Corvette 495hp = approx 420whp. 2007 Sky Na 172hp = approx 146whp. 2007 Sky redline 260hp = approx 221whp. 2007 Sky Redline w/GMPP turbo upgrade 290hp = approx 246whp.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
A lot depends on the quality of the tune and how you drive. I drive mine as a daily driver. I don't rev it up and dump the clutch. I don't over-rev it by banging and missing gears. I drive it to have fun and occasionally use the added power to accelerate hard and pass. I have over 120k miles on the original clutch. Although the 3.91 posi helped with that. Still has the original water pump. I bought a used Sky with about 70k miles that already had the clutch replaced. The interior was trashed and I am currently trying to have custom work done. If you love your car, more than likely it will love you back.

·
Registered
299 Posts
A lot depends on the quality of the tune and how you drive. I drive mine as a daily driver. I don't rev it up and dump the clutch. I don't over-rev it by banging and missing gears. I drive it to have fun and occasionally use the added power to accelerate hard and pass. I have over 120k miles on the original clutch. Although the 3.91 posi helped with that. Still has the original water pump. I bought a used Sky with about 70k miles that already had the clutch replaced. The interior was trashed and I am currently trying to have custom work done. If you love your car, more than likely it will love you back.
Yes, all of that is true. And some people just get unlucky, others get lucky. There are people out there that put a bunch of power into their car, beat the piss out of it, and never maintain it yet it lasts for years. Others blow up their stock engines driving down the highway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts