1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Outa my price range and not a roadster!

·
Registered
18,281 Posts
Not even a close runner up to the sky...by the way, look at the gauge cluster...do u notice a copycat design...matter of fact...look at the radio and console....do u think industrial spys

MarlboroMike

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
:agree: Blech!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've driven this car already

I went to my local Mitsubishi dealer and drove the new Spyder GT with Sportronic automatic.

I drive a 2005 Mercedes CLK Cabriolet, so the bar is pretty high. ( not a perfect car but still a lot of top down fun to drive car).

The Spyder really came out well. 260 HP makes a very strong engine, smooth shifts on the Sportronic, a great stereo, and a super fast automatic top with a finished tonneau cover built in.

High quality plastics in the interior, sexy "wave dashboard" & beautiful blue LED-type interior lights.

On the other hand, the rear end is very bulky- it looks like an audi TT butt.

The car looks like a "Chopped" roadster with the top up, but some like that and some don't.

Also, Mitsubishi is having internal problems.

If you presume they aren't going under, that may not mean anything, but if they do have more problems, that may ripple through the dealer network.

Having said all that,
This is the car I'm going to buy if I don't like how the Sky is powered, (if I can ever get a test drive.)

But still the Sky is my first choice. I just love the look.

Hope this helps!
LasVegasPhil

·
Registered
389 Posts
Reminds me of those whale sharks that swim through the water with their mouths open sucking up plankton...:lol:

·
Registered
72 Posts
LasVegasPhil said:
I went to my local Mitsubishi dealer and drove the new Spyder GT with Sportronic automatic.

I drive a 2005 Mercedes CLK Cabriolet, so the bar is pretty high. ( not a perfect car but still a lot of top down fun to drive car).

The Spyder really came out well. 260 HP makes a very strong engine, smooth shifts on the Sportronic, a great stereo, and a super fast automatic top with a finished tonneau cover built in.

High quality plastics in the interior, sexy "wave dashboard" & beautiful blue LED-type interior lights.

On the other hand, the rear end is very bulky- it looks like an audi TT butt.

The car looks like a "Chopped" roadster with the top up, but some like that and some don't.

Also, Mitsubishi is having internal problems.

If you presume they aren't going under, that may not mean anything, but if they do have more problems, that may ripple through the dealer network.

Having said all that,
This is the car I'm going to buy if I don't like how the Sky is powered, (if I can ever get a test drive.)

But still the Sky is my first choice. I just love the look.

Hope this helps!
LasVegasPhil
I agree with most everything you've said here.
If for some unknown reason, (like my Sky dealer jacks up the price at the last minute) I'm going to take a close look at the Eclipse myself.
As an aside, I admire your courage to express an independent opinion on this forum.
Some folks here don't value objective thinking....:D

·
Registered
727 Posts
I think the Eclipse Spyder is a good looking car, but it is really, REALLY heavy! It's more of a GT cruiser than a sports car. It's certainly not the same Eclipse that the DSM fans remember from the turbo AWD days.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
GRinLR said:
Reminds me of those whale sharks that swim through the water with their mouths open sucking up plankton...:lol:
i was thinking more of a Catfish...

·
Registered
256 Posts
Like I've said before.... the back end sticks out too far. I refer to it as "junk in the trunk" or "bubble butt".

;p

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Test drove one while I was waiting for a Solstice, it drives very good, but it is REALLY heavy, and can't be called a roadster my wife has owned 3 in a row, but she passed on the new model for the SKY...Seal9:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
GRinLR said:
Hey, that is exactly the kind of impression it made on me, but I was thinking it had a face like a muddy river cat

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Not a roadster, not even interested. I'd buy a convertible Mini Cooper with the supercharged engine before the Eclipse.:cool:

·
Registered
877 Posts
Very Blah........

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
i was thinking more of a Catfish...

Yep...you hit the nail on the head! :lol:

·
Registered
72 Posts
SKY USA said:
I don't care for the way the Eclipse looks either, but it received a positive review in comparison to the Solstice in a recent San Diego Union Tribune newspaper article:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20060311/news_lz1dd11solsti.html

:nonod:
I read the article you mentioned in the San Diego Tribune and found it very evenhanded and informative.
I realize as well as anyone the emotional appeal an automobile can engender in a person, but I still force myself to keep an open mind if possible.
:)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts