Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
FYI...

there are many products, reviews, opinions of all kinds over there. At the moment, the sol forum has much much more technical threads than we do. Of course, we don't have cars yet to be tech with but I hope that changes.

Question for Kappaman-- do the supporting vendors from the SOL forum get automatic supporting vendor privleges over here? or do they have to pay the fee again?

Just curious cause once cars start rolling in to our hands, I would like to start seeing them advertise over here as heavily as they do over there with updates and things on new products and such. I love tweaking cars this being my first 4cyl I'm very anxious to start. My sky won't stay stock long. I think I already have the add ons and vendors I will be buying from all decided but thats thanks to the sol forum where I spend alot of time.

I would also like to see WCKCC start recruiting over here. It appears that they still have a little organization to go thru but hopefully they won't fall apart before actually getting off the ground.

I have high hopes for this forum and expect the dialog and topic discussion to begin changing real soon from "wahh wahh wheres my sky" to " how can I make this thing get up and gooooo!!!!!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Delnari said:
Okay you about to be new Sky owners, there is a Supporting Vendor selling ECM tuning over on the Solstice Forum site. For $399 plus shipping you can get 11 more HP and 8 more pounds of torque. No speed limiter and higher engine rpms. The price you pay is that you will need to run Premium fuel all the time.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13692
I believe, but not 100% that the 11hp increase dyno sheet was done on a sol that already had CAI installed. so ecm alone maybe a bit less than 11hp gain.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Ernest said:
What about voiding the warranty on these aftermarket items?
They cannot void your warranty because you install aftermarket parts, BUT what they can do is blame a damaged part on the fact that you installed an aftermarket part. so if you CAI lets water in and your cylinder walls get thrashed.. they will not pay for the repair of that part. They can't void your entire warranty, they will just not cover that particular incident. it does get tricky and alot of it has to do with your dealership and your relationship with them. from what I understand, they don't have to prove anything either, your kinda at their mercy.

I've heard stories of places not wanting to cover an incident because they said the broken part was caused by something the owner installed. It was one of those things where it was possible but highly unlikely, but nevertheless, the owner had to pay for that incident. His warranty was still intact for the rest of its term, they just wouldn't pay on that incident.

what I've known people to do is keep the orig parts, and if something happens, put all of it back on. this won't always fool the mechanic but its worth a shot if need be. That can also be impractical depending on what mods you've done. I'm going to check with my dealer to see where he stands on this before doing anything.
My dealer gave the ok to add a lift kit and larger wheels to my Tacoma but I never ended up doing it so I can't be sure he would have stuck to his word or not. As far as the CAI goes, I would think it would be covererd considering GM is selling one for the sol/sky.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Thanks, I'll check it out, but plan to keep mine factory orinal, with Saturn options, installed by Saturn dealer. I am to old and expanded:lol: to be crawling under and leaning over my SKY to work on it. I"ll save the performance for my Red Line & AURA(I think this is going to be a real sleeper).:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
I have to agree with Ernest. The Sky will stay pretty much factory. My Corvette will be taking all my tinkering time, except for this and that I still need to do to the Jeep. Like the disk brakes for the back I bought 2 1/2 years ago, the lockers I bought 3 years ago, the aluminum radiator I bought a year ago.....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TexSon said:
I have to agree with Ernest. The Sky will stay pretty much factory. My Corvette will be taking all my tinkering time, except for this and that I still need to do to the Jeep. Like the disk brakes for the back I bought 2 1/2 years ago, the lockers I bought 3 years ago, the aluminum radiator I bought a year ago.....:rolleyes:
You might be singing a different tune after your first 100 miles. My biggest complaint with the Solstice was the Engine Management system. The computer takes over during high rpm shifts and you lose throttle control to the computer overriding it. The ECM tune this company is offering gives some of that control back to your foot, where it belongs. You'll understand what I'm taking about after a spirited test drive.

·
Registered
21 Posts
With a NA engine you won't notice any huge gains with just tuning alone, but you will notice increased driveability, fuel mileage, and other very important parameters based on the tuner's skill. Once HD mods (cams, throttle bodies, upgraded compression, etc.) and forced induction is thrown into the mix, you could see gains of 20-60whp with a proper tune.

I've been looking for some specs on the solstice/sky ECM. Is it the same model as the ION/Cobalt?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Ernest said:
What about voiding the warranty on these aftermarket items?
If they can tell your ECM has been re-flashed and you have engeine problems, don't expect it to be replaced under warrenty.

·
Registered
57 Posts
usmc said:
Question for Kappaman-- do the supporting vendors from the SOL forum get automatic supporting vendor privleges over here? or do they have to pay the fee again?
they get a multi-forum discount for supporting more than one forum!

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Sorry USMC I didn't see that part of your question at all. Forum Supporters support an individual forum and have to request to support more then one. So by default that's why there were no Supporters here till asenoff signed up.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
capa said:
I've been looking for some specs on the solstice/sky ECM. Is it the same model as the ION/Cobalt?
Yup IF it's a 2.4L VVT LE5 based one, and ours is the same as the 4.4L Supercharged NORTHSTAR engien actually.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts