Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
228 RWHP....interesting.

So it begs the question of where GM got the other 32 HP for their marketing materials...? :confused:

I'm not a math genius, but I suppose if you round to the nearest "260", 228 would round "up"....:D

·
Registered
877 Posts
260 is at the crank

·
Registered
820 Posts
Great find!:thumbs:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Less then 15 % loss in the drivetrain is a very good value :thumbs:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yes just like with motorcycles the manufacters numbers always end up at the crank. By looking at the graph at what rpm would you guys say the motor reaches peak power.

Hard for me to see the rpm numbers __but where the hp and torque curve are at its highest point crossing each other thats where i think max power would be ?

Also thought i heard some where that there is a build in rev limiter at 4200rpm i must heard wrong__since in the artice stats power all the way to 6 grand.

Cars like this no fun on highways whats the point.

HAYABUSA!!!

·
Registered
444 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
It will be filled with Synthetic from the plant. Exactly the same way that the ION Redline had Mobil 1 Synthetic straight from the plant.

Interesting to see that they've been quoting that 260HP number in all the advertisements though. I thought the new SAE law about HP ratings made it so they had to quote WHP, not crank. I dunno, maybe the rules are different for RWD than for FWD cars.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The dyno graph from Automobile states WHEEL horsepower not crank which is what cars manufacturers use.

EDIT: Look at the torque curve. That's definitely more than 260 lb-ft @ crank, more like 280.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hey pitcom how could you tell the oil was not synthetic or mobile ONE.__ Also how did you change the oil on this 228HP BEAST. What special stuff did you need __filter wrench etc. __And how did you get under the car hockey puck etc ?

Also was told today by a ford service dept__ with the new cars and the maps that sense the oil you need to stay with the same wt oil the car company says or you can throw the computer off.

·
Registered
653 Posts
The dyno graph from Automobile states WHEEL horsepower not crank which is what cars manufacturers use.
Not necessarily.

With the ION Redline, all of Saturn's info says it is rated at 205 HP. A LOT of people actually dyno their ION Redlines in the 205-210 WHP range. So...for that, Saturn is quoting Wheel HP.

Also, this reason is why SAE changed it's standards recently. Many Japanese automakers were claiming their cars had X amount of HP, which made them seem 20-30 HP better than the direct American competitor cars. However, it was discovered that the American manufacturers were quoting Wheel HP, while the Japanese were quoting Crank HP. And no one was actually explaining that in their advertisements. So SAE changed the regulations sometime during the last year, so that all manufacturers would report their HPs as Wheel HPs.

Crank HP cannot be measured, it can only be estimated based on a measured Wheel HP. So, up till last year, the Japanese were 'artificial' boosting their HP numbers in the sales info by quoting Crank HP estimates instead of hard and fast Wheel HP measurements.

Hence my wondering if there is a different standard for Rear Wheel Drive cars than for Front Wheel Drive.

Oh, and on a similar note...GM is notorious for under-rating the HP in their engines. I know many people with ION Redlines who Dyno'd 210 WHP or more completely stock. So, it wouldn't surprise me at all if that torque curve actually does go above 260.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
It will be filled with Synthetic from the plant. Exactly the same way that the ION Redline had Mobil 1 Synthetic straight from the plant.

Interesting to see that they've been quoting that 260HP number in all the advertisements though. I thought the new SAE law about HP ratings made it so they had to quote WHP, not crank. I dunno, maybe the rules are different for RWD than for FWD cars.
No, the new SAE ratings required the way crank HP be calculated is more realistic to final production. Like they can't remove all the accessories and modify parts. It's still just the crank value and not the wheel value.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I changed my oil SKYGAZR and it definately was not synthetic. But even the people at my dealer thought it was supposed to be mobile 1.
Woah....that's bad!!!!!

Synthetic oils use a totally different kind of filter than normal ones. And if you are going to be putting Synthetic in the engine, it is even better for the car to have had it straight from the factory.

What the heck is going on here??? I thought it was supposed to be Synthetic all along.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Not necessarily.

With the ION Redline, all of Saturn's info says it is rated at 205 HP. A LOT of people actually dyno their ION Redlines in the 205-210 WHP range. So...for that, Saturn is quoting Wheel HP.
Not actually, GM is quoting an under rated crank value, the wheel value just happens to be very similar.

Crank HP cannot be measured, it can only be estimated based on a measured Wheel HP. So, up till last year, the Japanese were 'artificial' boosting their HP numbers in the sales info by quoting Crank HP estimates instead of hard and fast Wheel HP measurements.
Actually it can, it's called a Crank Dyno. It's a device that the crankshaft of the engine is attached to and used to calculate the crankshaft values of the engine. Watching various TV shows on Speed and Spike you'll see them benchmark engines that way. The real issue was not that companies were guesstimating the value, they were not using engines that necessarily would be the final production engine you'd find in the car and they were using different formulas for various things. The new standard is stricter on what you can do and how it is done.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
I've attached the dyno image and made this a news item. Seemed pretty news worthy to me. :thumbs:

·
Registered
653 Posts
Brentil, thanks man! Didn't realize all that stuff. I'm not at home enough to watch much TV, and I LOVE the Speed channel. :(

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,875 Posts
1 - 20 of 50 Posts