Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weeks Auto Week has an article on the Tesla electric sports car. They claim 0-60 in 4 sec with a top speed of 135mph and a range of 250 miles. One website I visited said it is built on a modified Lotus Elise platform, the cost will be $100,000 with an operating cost of 1 cent per mile. It looks like they have good financial backing...from Silicon Valley. If it takes off the price should come down.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Sooner or later more developers are going to start heading in a new direction. One day soon only the truely rich will be able to afford fossil fuels for thier antique gas burning cars.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Yeah I was looking at that the other day: http://www.teslamotors.com/

It almost seems so absurd that it sounds fake -- but your right Google founders funding and a lot of hype have made this car pretty well funded and it just could reach production. I'm not sure if you'll lose your entire charge with one 4 second 0-60 but it sounds like a great concept. I wonder what the rest of the car will be like.

...it looks like a 2 speed in the pics. I guess just FAST and overdrive.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Looks good, They say on the site the battery will last for over 100000 miles.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Replying to my own post:
The Tesla Roadster has a two-speed transmission to maximize acceleration, while also allowing a reasonably high top speed. First gear gets you from zero to sixty in about 4 seconds, while second gear takes you to above 130 mph.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Limited market?

I wonder why they chose to build this EV as a roadster. That market is so limited. It would be much more practical as a wagon or small SUV for comuting???? I'd consider one then. I have a beautiful roadster already, in fact two, but I would like the EV as a SUV or van.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think they are coming out with a 4 pax in 2008 for about $50,000. Maybe the roadster is a way of getting a lot of attention and interest for your company. Sort of like the Sky...even though it may not be practical for your purpose...they may have something else that fits your needs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts