Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not even seen one thread about this but wondered what you guys think about the electric start on this car? I never knew it had this until one day I half-assed the turning of the key and it still started. I was like what the hell? Thsi is really neat and I never have had this in any other car. I now just get in a turn the key to on position and it starts right up, no holding the key at all past the on position, turn and let go!

·
Registered
262 Posts
tiger20005 said:
I have not even seen one thread about this but wondered what you guys think about the electric start on this car? I never knew it had this until one day I half-assed the turning of the key and it still started. I was like what the hell? Thsi is really neat and I never have had this in any other car. I now just get in a turn the key to on position and it starts right up, no holding the key at all past the on position, turn and let go!
Yea, it is in the owner's manual on page 84, left side of page. It's like the cars that you push the button to start, only still works with a key in the SKY.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
dmbdlatc said:
Yea, it is in the owner's manual on page 84, left side of page. It's like the cars that you push the button to start, only still works with a key in the SKY.
I have turned mine just to the on postition plenty of times mainly to reset the trip mileage after fillup....and it never has started....
i think if you bump it to the start position it will keep turning over till it starts or times out....

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
yea my truck has that feature on it i love it its supose to save starter life thats why GM put them on didnt know the sky had it i was wondering bout it SWEET!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Now that's some interesting news. Didn't know this at all.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I did'nt know that either. " The times they are a changing " Bob Dylan

·
Registered
517 Posts
A possible downside is the report of a starter motor not turning off after the car starts. I hope this thing wont be problematic.

·
Registered
276 Posts
A good thing about this feature is that it is impossible to grind the starter gear if you try to start the car with the engine running. Turning it to start position will do nothing.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
HotSky said:
A possible downside is the report of a starter motor not turning off after the car starts. I hope this thing wont be problematic.
believe it or not they have been using this feature for several years now. The colorado truck uses it also, I have never heard of a problem with it yet..

Something I don't understand on this forum, not you in particular, but why are people always talking about potential problems? that is being a pessimist..
we have enough REAL problems than to worry about potential problems...
Just causes additional stress for no reason... I will get off my Rant now...
Sorry.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
believe it or not they have been using this feature for several years now. The colorado truck uses it also, I have never heard of a problem with it yet..
/QUOTE]

that is what my truck is i love the auto start!

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Potential becomes actual

SkyMan 07 said:

Something I don't understand on this forum, not you in particular, but why are people always talking about potential problems? that is being a pessimist..
we have enough REAL problems than to worry about potential problems...
Just causes additional stress for no reason... I will get off my Rant now...
Sorry.
I think the original post was more along the lines of - is this really a problem or have I discovered a feature that I was not aware of. I don't think it is a bad thing to say oh my the car just did something I was not expecting and to be concerned enought to ask is that normal or is there something wrong with my car. And part of the reason we are part of this community to help each other out. So, for a few folks to respond with informative and education material for all of us is a good thing. If every post was nothing more than "wow, this car is awesome and I love it" what good would that do anyone?

I wonder if doctors complain that patients only come to see them when they think there is something wrong - even if it turns out to be nothing at all.

·
Registered
104 Posts
If it is an electric start, why didn't they just make it a button so that you can leave the key in your pocket. I love that on our Lexus. I walk up to the car when I grab the handle it unlocks and I get in and hit a button to start the car. Work best for my wife so she can just leave her key in her purse and I don't have to hunt down her key for her every day.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Lil GTO said:
I think the original post was more along the lines of - is this really a problem or have I discovered a feature that I was not aware of. I don't think it is a bad thing to say oh my the car just did something I was not expecting and to be concerned enought to ask is that normal or is there something wrong with my car. And part of the reason we are part of this community to help each other out. So, for a few folks to respond with informative and education material for all of us is a good thing. If every post was nothing more than "wow, this car is awesome and I love it" what good would that do anyone?

I wonder if doctors complain that patients only come to see them when they think there is something wrong - even if it turns out to be nothing at all.
I wasn't talking about the origonal post, if you will read the one i responded to,
Originally Posted by HotSky
it is things like that i was talking about, complaining about something that MIGHT tear up but there has not been any evidence that that may happen... You could say that about the 5 speed automatic also.. could it give problems in the future?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
krazygoat said:
If it is an electric start, why didn't they just make it a button so that you can leave the key in your pocket. I love that on our Lexus. I walk up to the car when I grab the handle it unlocks and I get in and hit a button to start the car. Work best for my wife so she can just leave her key in her purse and I don't have to hunt down her key for her every day.
it's called money, if they had incorporated every feature someone on here has put a "I WISH IT HAD" in for the car would cost the 50,000 dollars people think it does...
are we getting so lazy we can't even take a key out of our pockets and put it in a switch and turn it? Did you get yours with a Manual or Automatic transmission?????

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
electric start???

I think this term is incorrect for what it is used for in this thread, ALL modern cars have electric start, you don;t have to go out with a manual crank do you?:lol: :lol:
Really this is more like momentary contact automatic start... I think the intention is that if you accidently release the key before the car starts you won't have to twist the key again, it will turn over until the computer sees that it is running... but not so long as to burn up the starter.:thumbs:

·
Registered
94 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
it's called money, if they had incorporated every feature someone on here has put a "I WISH IT HAD" in for the car would cost the 50,000 dollars people think it does...
are we getting so lazy we can't even take a key out of our pockets and put it in a switch and turn it? Did you get yours with a Manual or Automatic transmission?????
:agree: , But the button would be a cool mod, or maybe even a toggle you lift up on after putting the key in and turning to the on position. It would give it a little more of a "race car" feel when starting instead of being just like all the other cars. Let's face it, this car is nothing like other cars which is why we all love it so much :thumbs:

PS: as it is, I have to resist climbing in through the window when the top is up:lol:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
OISky said:
:agree: , But the button would be a cool mod, or maybe even a toggle you lift up on after putting the key in and turning to the on position. It would give it a little more of a "race car" feel when starting instead of being just like all the other cars. Let's face it, this car is nothing like other cars which is why we all love it so much :thumbs:

PS: as it is, I have to resist climbing in through the window when the top is up:lol:
He wasn;t talking about modding it, he was talking about it coming from the factory with that feature...
You can Mod it yourself to do whatever you want if you want to put the bucks in it....
I like it just the way it is thank you... I just want everything it does have to work properly.

·
Registered
94 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
He wasn;t talking about modding it, he was talking about it coming from the factory with that feature...
You can Mod it yourself to do whatever you want if you want to put the bucks in it....
I like it just the way it is thank you... I just want everything it does have to work properly.
Oh I know (shouldn't have used the term "mod"), and again I agree with you completely. I would'nt make those kinds of mods to mine either, especially electrical which is just asking for problems. Modify a light and gm will say that's why the radio doesn't work. If and when I have a problem, I wouldn't want any issues with getting a repair under warranty........but I still think a starter button would be cool :D

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,287 Posts
Me too

OISky said:
Same here or jumping over the door when it is down. :thumbs:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Seagull said:
Same here or jumping over the door when it is down. :thumbs:
Just don't go sliding accross the hood like Bo and Luke Duke used to do :nono: :lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.