Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone modified their IP wiring so that the dash is illuminated whenever the ignition is turned on. It would be ideal to retain the dimming function, but I could sacrifice dimming if that is the only way to make it so.

·
Super Moderator
6,726 Posts
There was (probably still is) a reflash available at the dealer to change the IP light programming to do this.

It turned the instrument lights on at full brightness unless the ambient light sensor triggered the headlights on, then they followed the IP dimmer control.

·
Registered
18,246 Posts
Since u really do not need daytime running lights...when u start your car, turn off the fhose lights and u now have more lighting. I never drive with those lights on. This was a European thing with running lights during the daytime...and the American auto makers embraced it. The younger generation should look back at history...it was not long ago. Remember, it does put a load on your electrical system and dims your dash.

·
Super Moderator
6,726 Posts
Since u really do not need daytime running lights...when u start your car, turn off the fhose lights and u now have more lighting. I never drive with those lights on. This was a European thing with running lights during the daytime...and the American auto makers embraced it. The younger generation should look back at history...it was not long ago. Remember, it does put a load on your electrical system and dims your dash.
I have to disagree on two counts.

First, the DRLs do provide a safety benefit in many situations, so turning them off makes no sense.

Second, turning the DRLs off does not affect the instrument lights. The instrument lights are controlled by the ambient light sensor regardless of any other settings.

·
Registered
18,246 Posts
Those lights do nothing...period. No one gets into an accident because their lights are on during the day....they get into accidents for other reasons. You may be right regarding the dash lighting but when u turn off the DRLs....the light in your radio is now brighter and that is a fact.

·
Super Moderator
6,726 Posts
Those lights do nothing...period. No one gets into an accident because their lights are on during the day....they get into accidents for other reasons. You may be right regarding the dash lighting but when u turn off the DRLs....the light in your radio is now brighter and that is a fact.
It is probably different in the flatlands of Florida, but around here most of the fun roads to drive are the twisty country roads that go in and out of tree cover. When the sun is out, the area under the trees is dark enough that oncoming cars are totally invisible, unless they are burning their headlights or their DRLs. I like the idea that i can see cars that are coming at me from under the trees, and I really like the idea that they can see me when the situation is reversed. Many crashes happen when one driver doesn't see the other car, or when he sees it too late to do anything about it. Considering that the DRLs really don't cost anything to use, I'll take every advantage I can get.

Actually, when you see the radio get brighter it means that the instrument lights have been turned off. So it is a fact, but it has the opposite effect than is the point of this thread.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There was (probably still is) a reflash available at the dealer to change the IP light programming to do this.

It turned the instrument lights on at full brightness unless the ambient light sensor triggered the headlights on, then they followed the IP dimmer control.
This is the ideal solution, so much better than what I was hoping to accomplish.

When talking to a GM dealer (my local Chevy dealer), is there a reference or service number I can give them to look up this "reflashing" process?

·
Super Moderator
6,726 Posts
This is the ideal solution, so much better than what I was hoping to accomplish.

When talking to a GM dealer (my local Chevy dealer), is there a reference or service number I can give them to look up this "reflashing" process?
There was a TSB for it, but I do not have it at hand. A search here and on the Solstice forum will find it if someone doesn't post it before you do the search.

·
Super Moderator
6,726 Posts
edit
Could this TSB be done w a Tech 2?
It actually requires a Tech2, but also access to GM's TIS2WEB, which anyone can do by paying the subscription fee.

There is always some risk in flashing a control module, as there are a few possibilities for "bricking" it.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did a forum search with no luck in finding a TSB number.

I searched the web and found the following
TSB: 060849016
NHTSA: 10020735

But I did not find an actual document for either number. Just this.
-------------------------------------------------
Make : PONTIAC Model : SOLSTICE Year : 2006
Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
Service Bulletin Num : 060849016 Date of Bulletin: SEP 01, 2006
NHTSA Item Number: 10020735
Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM: INSTRUMENT PANEL
Summary:
INSTRUMENT PANEL CLUSTER (IPC) BACKLIGHTING INOPERATIVE DURING DAYLIGHT HOURS. *KB
-------------------------------------------------

I will call my local Chevy dealer and see if they know anything about either number and if they have a procedure to fix the problem.....and for how much money.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I called the service department at the dealer today. I gave him the information. His reply was to bring the car in. They charge $130 an hour to evaluate my complaint and would apply that cost towards a solution if there is one. That was not the answer I was looking for. That is an open checkbook situation.

As implied by others here, I will try turning off my daytime running lights to see if that gets my IP to light up during the day. My question is... How do I turn off DRL?

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
If you turn on your fog lights during the day, your dash lights will also turn on.

And yeah... $130 entrance fee, with not knowing how much the final cost is... sounds a little... high.

·
Registered
18,246 Posts
I called the service department at the dealer today. I gave him the information. His reply was to bring the car in. They charge $130 an hour to evaluate my complaint and would apply that cost towards a solution if there is one. That was not the answer I was looking for. That is an open checkbook situation.

As implied by others here, I will try turning off my daytime running lights to see if that gets my IP to light up during the day. My question is... How do I turn off DRL?
Just turn the round end on the directional arm...that turns them on and off.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just turn the round end on the directional arm...that turns them on and off.
I assume I would have to double-tap the fog light every time I start the engine. Is there a once-and-done method to having the IP lit while driving in daytime?

·
Registered
18,246 Posts
I assume I would have to double-tap the fog light every time I start the engine. Is there a once-and-done method to having the IP lit while driving in daytime?
Forget the fog light...the only thing that turns on & off your DRLs is your directional arm...just turn the round end...that's it.

·
Super Moderator
6,726 Posts
Rotating the turn signal switch will turn off the DRLs, but you have to do it every time you power the car, and it will not turn on your instrument lights.

Tirning on the fog lights may turn on your instrument lights, but it is also something you have to do each time you power the car.

The reflash TSB is the only thing that is one and done.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts