Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The reflash TSB is the only thing that is one and done.
Thank you JohnWR, and thank you others for your ideas.

As I mentioned further up, can anyone confirm that the TSB number is 060849016?

I have been looking for the detailed TSB that a GM tech would follow, but I find nothing to print out and hand to the service center. I am trying to save some labor charges paying them to research what I can do here. At $130/hr, I'd like to be charged a fraction of an hour of which they are known to do.

In the mean time, I will try the fog light trick. In my other vehicles, the fog lights don't function independently. The regular head lights must first be on for the fog lights to function. I guess the Sky is different.

·
Super Moderator
6,729 Posts
I have found the memo, but no TSB number is indicated.
Subject: Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Backlighting Inoperative During Daylight Hours (Reprogram BCM)

Models: 2004-2006 Chevrolet Malibu, Malibu Maxx
2005-2006 Chevrolet Cobalt
2006 Chevrolet HHR
2005-2006 Pontiac G6, Pursuit (Canada Only)
2006 Pontiac Solstice

Condition

Some customers may comment that the backlighting on the IPC does not illuminate in the daylight hours. They may further state that the backlighting does function at night, but not in the day time.

Cause

On these vehicles, backlighting for the IPC is not enabled unless the vehicle's lighting photocell determines that there is a nighttime ambient condition. Backlighting is not controlled through the use of the park lamp or headlamp switch. The conditions under which the photocell activates the backlighting may not satisfy each particular customer’s personal expectations, or the customer may simply prefer to have the backlighting always illuminated on the IPC.

Correction

For customers who wish to have the IPC backlighting always illuminated, a new service calibration is now available that will activate the backlighting to full intensity during daytime hours. Reprogram the BCM using SPS.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Thank you JohnWR, and thank you others for your ideas.

As I mentioned further up, can anyone confirm that the TSB number is 060849016?
I have found the memo, but no TSB number is indicated.
From what I could see from a quick google search, those seem to be one and the same.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks JohnWR and TomatoSoup. I have printed out a Word doc that I placed the data within along with the TSB and NHTSA numbers. When I get a chance, I will pay my dealer a visit and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Well......

My Sky is currently at my local Chevy dealer for this IP lighting TSB and it is not going well. They were unable to follow standard procedure because their software does not list my exact BCM part number to select in their menu. They are now in contact with GM, waiting for engineering to provide a software update to include my BCM part number. They say it could take hours to a day, maybe longer.

As a precaution, they researched and verified that I have the right BCM installed in my Sky to rule out tampering, and all checked out well with that.

They gave me a ride home so now I wait.

Concerning Sky's in general, there are two BCM part numbers depending on the production date. My early-made (April 2006) Sky has the earlier version. If this gets resolved between my dealer and GM engineering, this will pave the way for others here with Skys that have the same BCM part number.

I hope they won't be charging me for this "going-in-circle" stuff. I did sit in the waiting room for 1.5 hours before they talked with me. They said up front that they would charge me around $140.

·
Registered
18,252 Posts
Not sure of this...but u may get lucky if u pursue blue tooth and change your VCIM....let me explain. All Skys built before July 1, 2006 did not have the program to have Blue tooth and On Star simultaneously....u had a choice of either once your vcim was changed. I know this is technical and difficult at times to understand....but changing either your BCM or changing the program in your car may be a benefit.

I realize few of us use On Star because it is cost prohibitive for what it provides.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was wondering if anyone modified their IP wiring so that the dash is illuminated whenever the ignition is turned on. It would be ideal to retain the dimming function, but I could sacrifice dimming if that is the only way to make it so.
[/QUOTE
I was wondering if anyone modified their IP wiring so that the dash is illuminated whenever the ignition is turned on. It would be ideal to retain the dimming function, but I could sacrifice dimming if that is the only way to make it so.
i turned my turn signals to switchbacks On both of our Sky’s , so I generally drive with either the dogs or park lights on at all times. This helps with making our small cars more visible, while illuminating the dash.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i turned my turn signals to switchbacks On both of our Sky’s , so I generally drive with either the dogs or park lights on at all times. This helps with making our small cars more visible, while illuminating the dash.
Uhhh Fogs....not dogs....stupid autocorrect

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
A quick update. My Sky is still at the dealer. They continue to wait for GM to send a software update. They call daily, both to GM and to me. The dealer says it could go either way. I remain patient.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
The dealer had me get my Sky while they continue to work with GM. He says he will remain persistent with GM but I am concerned his priorities will change now that my Sky is off his lot. I am loosing hope that my Sky's main gauges will illuminate in daylight with the engine running.....without doing what everyone else is doing like turning on the fog lights or other work-around.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
The dealer let me down last fall. This spring I will be trying another dealer further away who claims they can apply the TSB to my Sky.

Someone asked me if I could provide 2 pictures of my gauges during daytime, one with back-lighting off, the other with back-lighting on. Here they are.

There was some kind of LED/Digital feedback happening when taking the pictures as you can see with the odometer read-out, so the pictures are not exactly "true", but still provide good representation.

Back-Lighting OFF

Back-Lighting ON

I hope the "other" dealer can update the software through that TSB to have the IP cluster self-lite 100% of the time when the engine is running, regardless if daytime or nighttime, auto-off or auto-on, manual-off or manual-on.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Anyone know if a TSB such as this one could be handled by a TECH2? Or does this require connection to the GM interwebz?

·
Super Moderator
6,729 Posts
Anyone know if a TSB such as this one could be handled by a TECH2? Or does this require connection to the GM interwebz?
It is a software reflash so you need TIS2WEB. About $60 I think for 24 month access.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
To put closure to this as a warning to anyone trying to accomplish the same.......

Last fall my local Chevy dealer tried to apply TSB 06-08-49-016 here which was a bust, but a free bust.

Today I went to the Chevy dealer in the next town over. They placed their well seasoned mechanic on this. He was very familiar with the shop computer tools to address it. I sat in their waiting room from 9:15am to 3:00pm. It cost me $156, and it was STILL a BUST.

They said they were unable to identify my early production Sky BCM part number in their computer. They needed to have it listed in their program to apply the fix but it was absent. They tried to resolve the problem all day with GM but were not successful. So I am through pursuing the fix.

I will resort to tapping the fog light switch when I can't see the speedometer.

Another $156.00 "Poof Gone". Our Money Pit continues to live up to it's name.
Gotta Love It!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for trying. It is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I wonder if the outcome will be different for others here with the later BCM. My early BCM with different part number is hopeless for sure.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I might try it later this year. I have a 2007.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
There were at least two different BCMs used in the Sky from 2007-2010. All I know is that the TSB cannot be applied to the first one installed in early production Skys. I don't know the cut-off when the BCM part number was changed. I also cannot state as fact that the TSB can be applied to later BCMs. I only know for certain that the first BCM is a bust.

There is one other matter concerning this. I am under the impression that dealers have moved on to newer vehicles. Service technicians not around during 2006-2010 (lack of experience) don't want to touch this. So getting the right kind of help is becoming slim as experienced technicians have moved on.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts