Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ESC is not working as the display on the console is not lighting when I press the ESC button. Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Wouldn't that be too obvious? Maybe. Yet, shouldn't I notice a difference with the handling of my Sky when the button is activated even if the light were burned out?
Are you holding it for a full 10 seconds?
A single quick push only turns off the LSD.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
No, the first push turns off Traction Control. The Second push enables Competition Mode (reduces threshold for Stability Control to kick in). The push and hold turns off Stability Control.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Wouldn't that be too obvious? Maybe. Yet, shouldn't I notice a difference with the handling of my Sky when the button is activated even if the light were burned out?
This is the exact type of analysis Denny Crane would make... (Denny Crane...)...

My question is, do you have any codes appearing?

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Hey, old Captain Kirk is doing pretty well for a 90 year old.

Good luck figuring out your button situation.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you holding it for a full 10 seconds?
A single quick push only turns off the LSD.
I have not tried holding the button for 10 seconds. I can. I just have a feeling the LSD is not working but I will give your suggestion a try.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is the exact type of analysis Denny Crane would make... (Denny Crane...)...

My question is, do you have any codes appearing?
That's why I am Denny Crane.

Nope, there are no codes appearing. Press the button. Nothing happens. LSD does not activate. Instrument panel indicators all work.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
That's why I am Denny Crane.

Nope, there are no codes appearing. Press the button. Nothing happens. LSD does not activate. Instrument panel indicators all work.
I could be wrong, and I hope wiser folk chime in, but as I understand it, Denny ... Crane...

... when you touch the button once, you disable traction control. Hold it down for 10 seconds after that and you’re in competitive mode.

That piece is very easy to pop off, and as John mentioned above, the easiest and cheapest first step would be to make sure the bulb isn’t burnt out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I could be wrong, and I hope wiser folk chime in, but as I understand it, Denny ... Crane...

... when you touch the button once, you disable traction control. Hold it down for 10 seconds after that and you’re in competitive mode.

That piece is very easy to pop off, and as John mentioned above, the easiest and cheapest first step would be to make sure the bulb isn’t burnt out.
Serg, let me clarify further. When I press the button nothing happens in terms of how the vehicle operates while the car is moving. Notwithstanding the fact the dash indicator does not illuminate (presupposing the bulb is burner out) I'd expect that it the function was working the manner in which the vehicle operated would be noticeable.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
I see.

I think the one that people have mentioned noticing most difference in, is the competitive mode (10 second hold).

I’d check the bulb, then hold the button down for 10 seconds and see if you feel any difference in drivability.

W/o any codes though, I think most of us would be flying blind, Denny... Crane.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
No, the first push turns off Traction Control. The Second push enables Competition Mode (reduces threshold for Stability Control to kick in). The push and hold turns off Stability Control.
You must have the Trifrcta. That is what the "competition mode" message is all about! Normal operation is either on or off.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My button hadn't been pushed in a long time and the contacts were dirty or something. I had to push it 30x in a row to "clean" the contacts, and now the button works OK. But, if it doesn't work the first try, I do a couple quick presses to get it working. So, maybe you have a similar issue. Then you will definitely see the info in the DIC change and the icon on the cluster.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
My button hadn't been pushed in a long time and the contacts were dirty or something. I had to push it 30x in a row to "clean" the contacts, and now the button works OK. But, if it doesn't work the first try, I do a couple quick presses to get it working. So, maybe you have a similar issue. Then you will definitely see the info in the DIC change and the icon on the cluster.
That is what I was thinking. The trac button is of a similar design as the trunk release button. Maybe it's internals need an occasional cleaning like the trunk release commonly does.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
You must have the Trifrcta. That is what the "competition mode" message is all about! Normal operation is either on or off.
Well, I do have a Trifecta tune, but that has nothing to do with this. As I said above...
This is true on all Redlines ("original", Trifecta Tuned, or with GM Turbo Upgrade installed). This will also be shown in the DIC display. There is no way to disable the Limited Slip Differential...and LSD is NOT the same thing as Traction Control.

The only thing that Competition Mode has to do with Trifecta is that SOME installations of Trifecta are configured so that the tune is only active in Competition Mode (but Competition Mode exists for all Redlines - tuned or not).

Note that to get to Competition Mode, you must press the button twice quickly in succession (similar to the way you would unlock both doors with the key fob).

To turn off Traction Control and Stability Control completely, you must press and hold the button for about 10 seconds...something I almost never do.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts