Saturn Skyline Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My uncle said he heard on the news that the employee's at the willmington plant were buying the factory and to continue production of the Sky. He said that the Solstice is discontinued but that the plant would continue the sky and looking at other variations based on the "kappa" platform. ( He said that they mentioned that the same thing happened with Studebaker and the Avanti)
So, has any one else seen the same news? Or is my uncle just drinking to much?
Have a great day!
Tim:cheers:

·
Registered
259 Posts
No offense, but that is the least likely scenario I've heard so far. First, there is no way the employees have the money to buy the plant. Second, how on earth would you make money selling just the solstice and the sky? What about development of the future generations?

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
...is this the same uncle who likes to meet up with his friends once a month and dress up as their favorite Sesame Street characters?:lol:....yeah...he seems pretty credible:rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
People thought that GM would never dump Pontiac.

Got a letter from Saturn today regarding the "preliminary agreement with the Penske Automotive Group" saying that "Saturn will look to forge a new path that takes us back to our roots as an independent brand." It goes on to state that "we will continue offering vehicles that Americans demand. Vehicles that are attractive, fuel efficient and affordable." OK folks, time to start "demanding" that the Kappa line of vehicles be saved from extinction.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Last I heard was that GM would continue to build Saturns under contract to Penske. But they would be building the Outlook, Aura, and Vue. That's it.:dunno:

·
Registered
473 Posts
My uncle said he heard on the news that the employee's at the willmington plant were buying the factory and to continue production of the Sky. He said that the Solstice is discontinued but that the plant would continue the sky and looking at other variations based on the "kappa" platform. ( He said that they mentioned that the same thing happened with Studebaker and the Avanti)
So, has any one else seen the same news? Or is my uncle just drinking to much?
Have a great day!
Tim:cheers:
Did he read it on the internet? Or hear it on the TV? ... If he did then it has be true ..... right???

Nobody I know within the confines of GM has told me anything like this ....... Nice rumor your uncle has started though! :lol:

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Kappa Plant not quite done yet?

Possible to run at reduced output, minimum, build on demand?
Apparently GM (and Biden) has already written off the Delaware plant.
Hopefully, the future of Boxwood is not in the hands of GM anymore.
Any potential deal between the current employees and the new owners
might include a larger buy-in plan, which could, in effect,
turn said builders of cars, further, into part-owners.

·
Registered
17,329 Posts
Possible to run at reduced output, minimum, build on demand?
Apparently GM (and Biden) has already written off the Delaware plant.
Hopefully, the future of Boxwood is not in the hands of GM anymore.
Any potential deal between the current employees and the new owners
might include a larger buy-in plan, which could, in effect,
turn said builders of cars, further, into part-owners.
Logically speaking...the Union now owns 17% of GM..the workers are actually the EMPLOYERS of the Union...so, technically speaking, they do own the plant...is there something wrong with my logic. Of course, GM sold the name to Penske...and whatever else is covered in the deal.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Last I heard was that GM would continue to build Saturns under contract to Penske. But they would be building the Outlook, Aura, and Vue. That's it.:dunno:
Adding to that, it was stated that the Saturns "built for Penske" would be through the end of the product's life cycle. The Aura is due to go away after 2010 while the Vue and Outlook were due to end a year or two later. Whether or not GM would continue to "badge" vehicles for Penske after that and thus feed product to compete with Chevy and GMC just makes no business sense.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Yes, where would the GM employees get the loan to buy the plant and continue to make a car that even GM was loosing 10K on every car produced. I find it hard to believe a bank or anyone else would just give them a loan or even GM giving them parts. Plus they would need to rename and rebadge which would cost $$$ so...

They would have better luck buying the old Delorian shop and making Delorians heck they may be profitable.

Then you have to think that Penske owns the rights and already said that kappa's are gone. No brainer there. Also the rest of the GM/Saturn line up will follow. Since Penske is just going to use the Saturn name and import cool european fuel sippers into the market and kill off the GM product all together.

We all have to face the fact that the kappa was doomed long ago, but with so few Opel GT's made that means the rest of the world is going to want our cars in the future. I remember Germany did not get the Fiat Spyders 2000's from 81-86. and in 89-90 I could buy them 4 at a time in the junk yard for 1K. I would fix one up with all the parts from the others or order parts from Italy. LOL! We would sell them to Germany for 10-30K per car and that is in 1989-1991. So it will probably not be America that wants the Kappas as much as Europe in the future about 8-10 years. The newer models will be the Holy Grail for collectors since there will be so few.

I only saw one 1986 Fiat Spyder 2000 it was Silver and it was georgous had a few body line changes, wheels interior different from the 1984 which had minor changes. It was in mint condition (owned by a banker) It had 35 miles on it. They wanted a mint for it and the Germans paid 50K for it in 1990.

I had a 1984 in light blue Fiat Spyder which had the new interior it was cool, but I traded it dumbly for 1990 Ford Probe GT to a bad dude!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I find it hard to believe a bank or anyone else would just give them a loan or even GM giving them parts. Plus they would need to rename and rebadge which would cost $$$.

They would have better luck buying the old Delorian shop and making Delorians heck they may be profitable.
And with a Flux Capacitor, they could travel to the future and see what tomorrow brings!

Let's just say we all get together and buy the Wilmington plant.
We use up whatever supplies are there and build 100 or so Kappa cars.

Can't call them Pontiacs, or Solstices or Saturns or Skys or Opels or Daewoos. All those trademark names belong to GM.

Now car # 101 is complete except for an engine. Who is going to sell us Ecotec engines? GM has 'em and they know how to configure them for the Kappas. Great. They want 5 grand apiece for them. Oops. The transmission is from a Hummer. They don't make those anymore, but they will . . . for 5 grand apiece. We need more foglights. Easy one, they're the same as in the Grand Prix . . . Pontiac. Oy. And the hydroformed body panels. Where do we get those? And the rear ends and the door handles and every part that is not made in Wilmington, Delaware.

The Wilmington plant assembles the cars. The cars are made in a hundred different places that are deeply rooted in the GM network. Buying the plant essentially accomplishes nothing.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
From Lil'Oggi:

The Wilmington plant assembles the cars. The cars are made in a hundred different places that are deeply rooted in the GM network. Buying the plant essentially accomplishes nothing.
No truer words have been spoken concerning this situation.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
The transmission is from a Hummer. They don't make those anymore, but they will . . . for 5 grand apiece.

What car has a Hummer transmission?

... and those worldwide parts suppliers will sell to anyone who comes up with the cold hard cash after the GM pipeline shuts down. Money talks, BS walks.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts