Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
That's pretty much the just of it.

Oh you need to see Bob's layout. It's not done but still just amazing!!

You DID go off the deep end. When you have guys that have been doing this for years tell you that your first setup is nicer than any they've ever seen, that's a clue you jumped in with both feet first! LOL Hey, I'm the same way with stuff so this is by no means a negative thing...LOL

I think San Diego has gone quiet because Myrna and Eric are planning their wedding and no one else down there EVER plans anything. Myrna asked me to do a run in June and I just won't have the car done by then for it. Plan and simple. I hope to get that Whitney/Death Valley run together but I still haven't heard back from the parks service about driving up to their parking lot. Apparently you need a pass or something for that and I'm trying to get details...that along with working on cars, doing shows, running autocross...life has been a little hectic this year.

Age has a definite role in all this. The Sky forum, and the car itself, always seemed to attract an older crowd that was far more into the social aspect of owning a special vehicle like this one. The Pontiac club, and car, attracted a younger audience and those who were more into the performance and modification aspect of these cars than they were the social aspect. The Sky folks appreciate the performance, but enjoy the social part more...while the Solstice folks enjoy the social aspects that come with going to events and races with modified cars. I don't know if it has something to do with the brands or what, but there is a very big difference overall between your average Sky owner and average Solstice owner.

I'm 46 and sometimes feel like part of the "young" group at our events if that tells you anything. If we get younger folks out to our events, they usually find them boring and tame...and the group usually finds them rash and dangerous (had one young man try to power slide his car in a U-turn and just about hit another member's car...) so they rarely come back for a second try. Conversely, I very rarely see members at autocross or racing events except Gassor and I.

So that's probably why you see more of the socialization aspect on this site and more of the technical discussion on the Solstice sites. It's kind of the nature of the owners and how they flocked to each platform. Of course this isn't a blanket statement for ALL owners of the two different cars (lord knows I fall into more the Pontiac side of that generalization...) but this is the general vibe I get from the two sites and two sides.
Yeah the local owners I've run into are great and super friendly but certainly quite a bit older, my parents age. Not a bad thing, but let's be honest we're different. I've ground my teeth on old diesel Mercedes so I am used to much greater generational gaps with car forums but it's still there, just a different sort of flavor. Then again I'm not getting any younger lol.

Many of my peers have bought C5s and we bench race them, drive each others cars when we are together and all that, but I think it's a lot of appreciation both ways. I've driven both and think most those guys (most have also had NC miatas) would be in sky redlines if there was more aftermarket and bigger initial buying msrket, which go hand in hand. Around here sky's aren't terribly rare since we are right outside the assembly plant in philly but elsewhere there are people who don't even know what they are.

At this point, I don't know there is a difference in taste per age, now that both brands are debunked. The sol is cheaper to buy which I guess might be a catalyst but only by a couple thousand at most. I think the sky has aged much better and these cars are give or take 1/2 about simply looking great. My neighbor is convinced it's a Ferrari or something, I haven't had the heart to just explain its a saturn, same brand that had great pop out door panels and all that...or that the cleaning lady daily drives a SLP stage 2 regal

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
I totally agree. Maybe keep subforums for unique parts like body and interior pieces and merge the mechanical threads. Let's be honest they aren't making more cars and the base isn't growing, if anything it's just laterally transitioning from old to new owners.
That would be great in my opinion.

·
Registered
742 Posts
If the things Mike says on occasion really ruin your day, your year and you have to leave because of what has been said, WHERE THE HELL do you live.
I've said this before and I'll say it again, "while I may disagree with just about everything Mike says or does, that's just me, he certainly has a right to his own opinion and I respect him for that. I have had my Sky for 5 years and have been here nearly that long I will say that I have probably learned more from him than all others combined. He is very knowledgeable and while he may lack tact when it comes to presenting this knowledge I have the utmost respect for his knowledge."

Just my opinion.....others may differ.

Terry
:cheers:

Reactions: Rusty Boltz
21 - 25 of 25 Posts