Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a quick search on the Solstice forum and couldn't find info, although I'm sure it's probably there. Does this engine require a break-in period and if so how many miles? I've bought about 8 Saturns since '91 and none of them required a break-in period.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
SILVER ANNIV said:
I did a quick search on the Solstice forum and couldn't find info, although I'm sure it's probably there. Does this engine require a break-in period and if so how many miles? I've bought about 8 Saturns since '91 and none of them required a break-in period.
read your owners manual, It is in there, the first 500 miles they give you instructions on how to drive the car. but this is not just for the engine, but transmission, brakes, rear gears etc....

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
I agree with SKYMAN, the owner's manual is the best source of information on your new vehicle. After a couple of days of non-stop driving I intend to sit down and go through mine.:cheers:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've read many threads on breaking in a new car and I've read quite a few people who have had major success with beating the hell out of the cars.

Not that I'd actually attempt that, but some people have the theory that in order to make the rings seal properly you need to have as much high revving as possible. If you want to look into it a little farther, just search google.

Again, I would NOT reccomend trying the "drive it like you stole it" method, but some of those theories make sense.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I think I'll drive it like I own it :lol: :cheers:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
tvieira24 said:
I've read many threads on breaking in a new car and I've read quite a few people who have had major success with beating the hell out of the cars.

Not that I'd actually attempt that, but some people have the theory that in order to make the rings seal properly you need to have as much high revving as possible. If you want to look into it a little farther, just search google.

Again, I would NOT reccomend trying the "drive it like you stole it" method, but some of those theories make sense.
I have done it both ways, and my best experience was doing it just as the owner's manual says to do.... that is from personal experience and my opinion.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Most on the solsticeforum are going anywhere from 500 to 1000 miles for the break in period. And after the first 1000 miles, many are also chaning oil to full synthetic. They claim that by 1000 miles the engine has "livened up". I only have 350 miles on mine, but can already tell the internals and engine are loosening up and running much more smoothly.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Break in

As stated above - RTFM (Read The Frickin Manual). GM doesn't print them just to kill trees.

On a personal note, I have had very good results by following what a mechanic told me. That is, for the break in period, be sure to vary the load on the engine - both on acceleration and deceleration. This variable load causes the rings to expand and contract, thus "seating" them properly. That does NOt mean to go out and beat the heck out of the car but it also does not mean drive at an easy, grandpa pace all the time.

For the last four cars I have owned, I have had zero engine/oil related problems and no oil burning. All four vehicles went well past the 100K mark.

I am not a mechanic, I just pretend.
My humble $.02

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
bigdog said:
As stated above - RTFM (Read The Frickin Manual). GM doesn't print them just to kill trees.

On a personal note, I have had very good results by following what a mechanic told me. That is, for the break in period, be sure to vary the load on the engine - both on acceleration and deceleration. This variable load causes the rings to expand and contract, thus "seating" them properly. That does NOt mean to go out and beat the heck out of the car but it also does not mean drive at an easy, grandpa pace all the time.

For the last four cars I have owned, I have had zero engine/oil related problems and no oil burning. All four vehicles went well past the 100K mark.

I am not a mechanic, I just pretend.
My humble $.02
Be moody, that should do it :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
As mentioned there's a section in the manual about breakin. GM has a list of suggestions to follow for the first 500 miles, and drive it like you stole it is not one of the suggestions. :D

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
brentil said:
As mentioned there's a section in the manual about breakin. GM has a list of suggestions to follow for the first 500 miles, and drive it like you stole it is not one of the suggestions. :D
Damn, if I do that I might get caught! :D

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone. I always do read the manual. Was just looking for some info before the keys and manual were in my hands. We have some mini-vacations planned this spring and summer and I'm hoping she'll arrive in time so at least one or two can be spent "top down".

·
Registered
46 Posts
We Followed The Break-in Rules For The First 500 Miles
And Noticed That The Engine Performed Much Better After
About 400 Miles.
Most Of The Solstice Owners Followed The Same Routine And All
Noticed The Increase In Performance At Around The 400-500
Mile Mark.

Just Drive Below The 6000rpm Level, Short Shift, Keep It Under 70,
Stay Off The Freeway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts