Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been following the sky and even the RL since they were first mentioned and have been 1st on the RL list since July of '05. During this time, I really fell in love with the look of the bare engine, rather then the plastic engine cover. When I get my RL, I really would like to remove the plastic engine cover, the only concerns I have are voiding the warrantee, creating new problems if the engine heat tolerences were designed with the cover in mind, and increasing a fire risk if the black cloth on the underside of the hood were to contact the bare hot engine. Can anyone in the know tell me if this would void the warrantee?:confused:

·
Registered
804 Posts
I would suggest calling your dealer and asking them first. There might be a specific reason for the cover, other than just hiding the engine.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have been following the sky and even the RL since they were first mentioned and have been 1st on the RL list since July of '05. During this time, I really fell in love with the look of the bare engine, rather then the plastic engine cover. When I get my RL, I really would like to remove the plastic engine cover, the only concerns I have are voiding the warrantee, creating new problems if the engine heat tolerences were designed with the cover in mind, and increasing a fire risk if the black cloth on the underside of the hood were to contact the bare hot engine. Can anyone in the know tell me if this would void the warrantee?:confused:
Yes it would void your warrantee. Be cautious to keep a stock vehicle stock.

·
Registered
290 Posts
In my uneducated opinion, I don't see how the cover would cause any problems if you removed it as the plastic probably doesn't dissapate very much heat.

·
Administrator
7,225 Posts
Two words: Air flow.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
BS. i have had mine off the day i got the car its plastic had no effect on airflow take it off it looks great it pulls off and it just as easy pushes back on LIVE IT UP!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'll tell you what though. You could play around with that and make your SKY your very on!

He's right, LIVE IT UP!!! How about sprucing up your SKY with some bad -ss covers? I bet you could really make your SKY look like a master piece.

Has anybody seen anything like that yet?

I would get Zues embodied onto a silver cover.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
mine is off and it shows off the header and intake alot more im goin to polish mine one day

·
Registered
1,394 Posts

·
Administrator
7,225 Posts
YellowSky : BS. i have had mine off the day i got the car its plastic had no effect on airflow take it off it looks great it pulls off and it just as easy pushes back on LIVE IT UP!
Not BS, I was responding to the man's statement.

In response to a question about his warrantee being voided by removing the cover:
sky finance guy : Yes it would void your warrantee. Be cautious to keep a stock vehicle stock.
If I recall correctly, sky finance guy works for a dealership. Might know a tiny bit about warrantees. Might not.

mikecronis : In my uneducated opinion, I don't see how the cover would cause any problems if you removed it as the plastic probably doesn't dissapate very much heat.
My only point was that if removing the cover were to cause a heat problem, and I am not suggesting it would, it would not be radiation or conduction (which I assume mikecronis means by heat dissipation), it would be convection caused by changing the airflow, and therefore, the fact that it is plastic would not lessen its effect.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Yes it would void your warrantee. Be cautious to keep a stock vehicle stock.
Oh boy, here comes the "void the warranty" stuff again. First off, I do not know if it would damage the engine or not. As some have stated it may affect airflow. I personally like the covers so they will stay (may get CF aftermarket ones or something nicer in the future). As far as "voiding the warranty" goes: Modifying your vehicle in any way regardless of whether that is removing items or adding aftermarket items does not explicitly void your warranty. There was legislation regarding this matter passed a number of years ago that states that the warranty provider must supply reasonable proof that the modification performed directly caused the failure, to deny warranty work. This must be done on a case by case basis and cannot blanket void anything.

As such, if you remove the engine covers it DOES NOT VOID YOUR WARRANTY. If you remove the covers and your engine overheats, or you get some weird water damage, or some other crazy thing that they can link directly to the removal of the covers and provide some proof of, then they can deny warranty work for that instance.

In my 3-series days there were many discussions about this and many lawyers and dealer service managers on the board chimed in. In any case to sum it up, modification to your vehicle does not explicitly void a warranty

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Oh boy, here comes the "void the warranty" stuff again. First off, I do not know if it would damage the engine or not. As some have stated it may affect airflow. I personally like the covers so they will stay (may get CF aftermarket ones or something nicer in the future). As far as "voiding the warranty" goes: Modifying your vehicle in any way regardless of whether that is removing items or adding aftermarket items does not explicitly void your warranty. There was legislation regarding this matter passed a number of years ago that states that the warranty provider must supply reasonable proof that the modification performed directly caused the failure, to deny warranty work. This must be done on a case by case basis and cannot blanket void anything.

As such, if you remove the engine covers it DOES NOT VOID YOUR WARRANTY. If you remove the covers and your engine overheats, or you get some weird water damage, or some other crazy thing that they can link directly to the removal of the covers and provide some proof of, then they can deny warranty work for that instance.

In my 3-series days there were many discussions about this and many lawyers and dealer service managers on the board chimed in. In any case to sum it up, modification to your vehicle does not explicitly void a warranty

yep... its called the Magnuson-Moss Act

its the same law that says your dealership can't "make" you get your car serviced by them. you know in the service manual where its shows you must do this every XX amount of miles or void your warranty? those things can be done at any shop or even done yourself. Just keep your receipts in case anything is ever questioned. Or go the easy route and pay the dealership the outrageous amount they charge for these services.

back on topic--- there are vendors currently offering types of engine covers. I saw a Carbon fiber one at saturnmotorsports.com.

some at the sol forum have even painted them with various patterns and colors that looks pretty cool.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts