Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I'm posting this in the forum so as many people as possible can see it...the SKY has an ENGINE DISABLED mode which shuts down the engine like right now....I was driving down a 4 lane Hwy at 50mph and shifted to 5th when the DIC lite up and said ENGINE DISABLED ..Nothing worked and I mean nothing...this car is hard to steer and harder to stop with no power....But this is covered kinda on page 153....Dealer had no idea what to do...found out you Waite 10 sec and you can restart your car and the Eng light will be on...took it to the dealer..NO CODES...car has run fine but if you aren't ready for this it could be a big problem in heavy traffic....GM said the EPA setting were out of spec and the engine will shut of completly.....SEAL9:cheers:

·
Registered
173 Posts
WHAT!!! That could be very dangerious when you're on a highway doing 65-70 and all of a sudden lose power.:eek: I can't even begin to imagine.:confused: :Now if the engine shut down when someone was trying to "steal" it, that would be an asset.:thumbs:

·
Registered
188 Posts
OK I'm posting this in the forum so as many people as possible can see it...the SKY has an ENGINE DISABLED mode which shuts down the engine like right now....I was driving down a 4 lane Hwy at 50mph and shifted to 5th when the DIC lite up and said ENGINE DISABLED ..Nothing worked and I mean nothing...this car is hard to steer and harder to stop with no power....But this is covered kinda on page 153....Dealer had no idea what to do...found out you Waite 10 sec and you can restart your car and the Eng light will be on...took it to the dealer..NO CODES...car has run fine but if you aren't ready for this it could be a big problem in heavy traffic....GM said the EPA setting were out of spec and the engine will shut of completly.....SEAL9:cheers:
What are they nuts! That could cause a bad accident! :confused: :willy:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Seal9--What EPA spec should it be reading? If this happened at say 75 miles a hour and I'm in the fast lane, I would get to safety but you talk about some kind of MAD:mad: :mad: I paid close to 30,000 of my hard earned money and the product cuts off thus bringing possible injury to me and others.......gotta sit down and read PAGE 153. I'll PM you for I need to know more:willy: :willy:

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have had the car check out from front to back....GM said the car is doing what it was designed to do....if there is a heavy miss or the environmental controls are out of spec it shuts the motor of......and the only reference is on page 153.....this should be a whole page on its own so you are ready if it happens to you....heads up forum this could happen if you get bad fuel thats the current feeling......:willy: :willy: Seal9

·
Registered
410 Posts
Thanks for the Heads-Up!:thumbs: Like I said, I would freak-out if something like these ever happened. I'm running mine to D.C., A.C., VA Beach, and down in Florida. Always in the fast lane, between 60 and 80. The car cutting itself OFF for the EPA, is not on my mind. Thanks for the info:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I once had a 1975 Ford Elite that would do the same thing. I think Ford had some problems with the elecronic ingition when they first came out. It shut down like you turned off the key. No power steering, no power brakes, no anything. It would do it at 80 MPH or starting off from a stop sign. It made you real shy about pulling out into traffic. My ex wife took the car in the divorce. I was glad to get rid of them both.

·
Registered
166 Posts
What does EPA stand for other than Environmental Protection Act? If the car is cutting out at speed because of out of spec emissions I'd not be surprised but I assume it's something to do with the vehicle's anti theft system?

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No engine disable for anti theft, GM said it was one of 2 things, heavy Miss or the environmental spec were out of tolerince....right now they think it was bad fuel...the problem is the ECM had not storied any codes.....that could indicate the engine could shut down at any time, for no reason....Seal9:cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
I'm sure it's not the case, but is there any way at all this is realted to your reflash?
Isn't that the last thing which changed?

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No I ask that same Q...Reagnal tec said no...and there would have been some stored codes.....Seal9:cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
That is CRAZY! I hope they are able to fix your's and soon. This will greatly disturb me if was to happen to Missy and I at any speed going down the highway.

·
Registered
65 Posts
This would certainly freak me out because the route I take going home each night is a winding road with mountain on one side and a drop off on the other.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Is this only for five speeds? Jeeze louise, I would be flattened by a semi on the 285 freeway! How can GM design a car to shut off without notice? That is a products issue! GM knows better than that! :nono:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Questions

Can you clarify a bit?

Was the engine in a reduced power mode, that is running (idling after the clutch was pushed in) but would not provide any power?

Or, was the engine stalled, AKA 0 rpm?

FYI, there is not any mode where the ECU will tell itself (or the engine) to stall. Also, if the ECU requested a reduced power mode, than there would be a code set.

Without a code set, there is likely an intermittent connection, wire, etc., or maybe the ECU itself, but the dealer should of been able to determine if that was the case.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Seal are you sure with all your modding that you tant pinched a wire some place or routed a harness to close to the high voltage wires? You know about transients on voltage wires? ..Skip..:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
420 Posts
Whoa nelly! :willy: :willy:

I'm glad to hear you made it off the highway and on to the shoulder I assume without any problems.

If this were to happen driving down the freeway at much higher speeds, this could cause some serious accidents! :banghead:

Did OnStar come over the speakers and say anything about it?

·
Registered
514 Posts
there is no way that is how it is designed. Cars since the early 90s go into a limp mode, cut back timing and increase fuel, they would never shut off. That is just dangerous, did the power steering still work without the engine or the abs or the brake booster? There is going to be some huge lawsuits if a car shuts down while you are trying to avoid an obstical. I'm just glad you made it off the freeway alive.

Someone said you had a reflash, which reflash did you get????

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Someone said you had a reflash, which reflash did you get????

This is more of a "for what it's worth" post...From the first my sky seemed to have a small miss it never
showed any codes and after I picked up RPM it was gone, any way a friend at the GM plant told me that Saturn
had a new tune for the ECM's it is on the 2007 build year SKYs......Called my dealer they looked it up and
check,...it said the new tune did not fix any know service problems...but we tried it any way....well no miss, no
more hesitation and 29 MPG......it was worth the 10 min to flash it.......Seal9
Curious. Engine miss was the reason to try the reflash. No codes there.
If the ecm "can't" just shutdown (or shouldn't) at the risk of showing how little I understand how this stuff works,
could it have just dumped out or crashed?
(yeah, i know realtime systems are not ms windows, but _something_ went quite amiss here.)
Thought I read somewhere the O/S was going to change in the ecm between 06 & 07 build years?
If that's the case, flashing more than just tables?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts