Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else noticed something strange when the engine drops back to idle? Like when you come to an intersection and push in the clutch the engine seems to stutter for a second as it drops back to idle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,876 Posts
Not on mine... Idles very evenly
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GMguy said:
Are you sure you're pushing in the clutch completely before the car stops?
Don't know. I'll pay more attention. Maybe I have a lazy clutch foot.
 

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
Joined
·
5,953 Posts
Put your stick into neutral and see if that helps. That will eliminate a lazy foot on the clutch. Tranny not disengaging and remember dont mash on the gas pedal. See iffen that does the trick..Skip...:lol: :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,329 Posts
My idle got a little rough the other morning, seems the neighbors cat decided to take a siesta in my engine compartment, talk about a stressed out puddy tat, man we taint seen hide nor hair of the critter, I am sure it left an indelible impression on his memory for sure, YUUP!!!

Hey SKI-UP, What was the last thing on a bugs mind when he hits the windshield? His A**!!!!!!:lol: :lol: :lol: Man, I just crack myself up!!!!!:lol: :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
351 Posts
GaryH said:
Has anyone else noticed something strange when the engine drops back to idle? Like when you come to an intersection and push in the clutch the engine seems to stutter for a second as it drops back to idle.

Mine does the same thing before she warms up.
 

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
Joined
·
3,491 Posts
GaryH said:
Has anyone else noticed something strange when the engine drops back to idle? Like when you come to an intersection and push in the clutch the engine seems to stutter for a second as it drops back to idle.
Not mine...
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
11,446 Posts
Mine does it too on occasion. Even when I KNOW the pedle is all the way down and with the shifter in Neutral. Once it heats up everything is gravy.

What happens is as the car comes back down to it's idle it drops below 1K rpm...like to almost 500 rpm! I think our cars idle around 900-1000 rpm normally. It seems like it is about to die then recovers back to a normal idle. Once warm, this no longer happens.

At first I thought that maybe the floor mat had gotten under the peddle making it impossible for the peddle to be fully depressed but this didn't solve it either.

I don't know why it is doing it but so far it hasn't been a big enough problem for me to be without my car for a while to troubleshoot it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,360 Posts
If you have the AC on it's more apparent until the car is warmed up. If the AC is off you'll notice a slight RPM dip but not as much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
351 Posts
brentil said:
If you have the AC on it's more apparent until the car is warmed up. If the AC is off you'll notice a slight RPM dip but not as much.

This is true. This morning, while the engine was cold, I drove around a parking lot with the AC both on and off . The stuttering did not happen with the AC off. After the engine warmed up after a few minutes it didn't happen at all with the AC on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,086 Posts
Mine did it with the 92 Octane. It doesn't do it with 87. If you are running higher octane, I don't think the car can burn it off fast enough.

Man,, that should start all the techs going. Mine runs just as good with 87 as 89, or 92, so I have been burning the cheaper stuff..... Wait,,, none of it is cheap anymore!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
351 Posts
SkyHi07 said:
Mine did it with the 92 Octane. It doesn't do it with 87. If you are running higher octane, I don't think the car can burn it off fast enough.

Man,, that should start all the techs going. Mine runs just as good with 87 as 89, or 92, so I have been burning the cheaper stuff..... Wait,,, none of it is cheap anymore!
Good point to list the octane rating with the problem.
I am using 87. I only have the stutter with a cold engine with the AC running.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've only run the 91 and 93 octane. I haven't noticed if the studder was with the ac on or off. I usually have the ac on even with the top down, but not always. I think I'll try the not so cheap 87 octane and see if I can tell the difference.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top