Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, my dad finaly passed him 500 miles and was wondering more less at what rpm range is best to shift it while kicking it (safely with out blowing or harming the engine)

thanks in advance

-JD-
 

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
Joined
·
5,953 Posts
JD06 said:
Hey, my dad finaly passed him 500 miles and was wondering more less at what rpm range is best to shift it while kicking it (safely with out blowing or harming the engine)

thanks in advance

-JD-
Whatever RPM that produces tha desired effect you want...Skip....:lol: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,876 Posts
JD06 said:
but is that safe, like is it like a vtech engine where it can take some abuse:)
Basically it IS a vtech engine...
I think of it as excersize -- not abuse...:lol: :driving:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
Just My Opinion

One thing I would keep in mind is that you are not driving a honda with a vtec, vtec's have been around for more than fifteen years and they have taken variable valve timing to the extreme literally squeezing the very last amount of horsepower and performance out (for example my delsol had a D15B sohc vtec which has 130hp, keep in mind that engine is a 1.5L which by the way is my "just incase" motor when I have to rebuild my B18C LOL). Personally this car wasnt built for speed (IMO) unlike the redline version, so I wouldnt expect it to hold up like a honda engine, not saying that the ecotec wont but just my opinion, of course like anything else when you get to know what it can and can't take you will be able drive it harder (like my delsol I know when and how far to push it before letting off):)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
669 Posts
Ernest said:
I myself have hit the rev limiter on more than one occasion,:lol: :D
I've only done it once...in second gear...and I wasn't expecting it...what a shock. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
Cutoff??

I have yet to recieve my Sky, but I am just curious as to what rpm does the cutoff occur? And I assume its a fuel cutoff?? Also what rpm does the redline fall at?

Thanks
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,360 Posts
07blacksky said:
I have yet to recieve my Sky, but I am just curious as to what rpm does the cutoff occur? And I assume its a fuel cutoff?? Also what rpm does the redline fall at?

Thanks
Redline is 6800 RPM and the fuel cutoff is at 7000 RPM.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
brentil said:
Redline is 6800 RPM and the fuel cutoff is at 7000 RPM.

Thanks for the info
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,640 Posts
Torque

Are you still getting good torque at redline?

Generally speaking the fuel cutoff is there to prevent you from operating the engine beyond its tolerance - not sure by how much of a margin - so theoretically you could run it up to fuel cut off every time you shift - but that may not be wise - especially depending on how many times a day you want to stop for gas - and the prevailing road and traffic conditions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
478 Posts
brentil said:
Redline is 6800 RPM and the fuel cutoff is at 7000 RPM.
I read this question several days ago and have been thinking about it a bit since then. I did some checking and it seems that the torque curve peaks around 4,500 rpm for the Ecotec 2.4L. There is a funny drop around 3,000 (doing this from memory) which I don't understand.

Anyhow, when you shift for speed, you would probably want to shift at or just past the peak on the torque curve, around 4,500RPM. In this case, due to the funny dip, it seems the goal would be to keep the engine turning between 3,500 and 4,500, or maybe 3,500 and 5,000. That seems like a nice part of the torque curve to occupy.

It seemed the torque fell off pretty well by the time you hit 6,800RPM, so I don't think there is a benefit to being up there.

Thoughts?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,360 Posts
jarcher said:
I read this question several days ago and have been thinking about it a bit since then. I did some checking and it seems that the torque curve peaks around 4,500 rpm for the Ecotec 2.4L. There is a funny drop around 3,000 (doing this from memory) which I don't understand.

Anyhow, when you shift for speed, you would probably want to shift at or just past the peak on the torque curve, around 4,500RPM. In this case, due to the funny dip, it seems the goal would be to keep the engine turning between 3,500 and 4,500, or maybe 3,500 and 5,000. That seems like a nice part of the torque curve to occupy.

It seemed the torque fell off pretty well by the time you hit 6,800RPM, so I don't think there is a benefit to being up there.

Thoughts?
If you want to shift for maximum speed you want to go to the red line/fuel cutoff. Because once you shift the RPMs fall to 4000~4500 RPM (depending on skill) and you're in the top of the Torque band again instead of having to work your way back through it. You're also much closer to the top of the HP curve then falling way down it. If you shifted around 4500 RPM your resulting new RPM in the next gear would be too low to maintain full power.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
where does HP peek?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
07blacksky said:
One thing I would keep in mind is that you are not driving a honda with a vtec, vtec's have been around for more than fifteen years and they have taken variable valve timing to the extreme literally squeezing the very last amount of horsepower and performance out (for example my delsol had a D15B sohc vtec which has 130hp, keep in mind that engine is a 1.5L which by the way is my "just incase" motor when I have to rebuild my B18C LOL). Personally this car wasnt built for speed (IMO) unlike the redline version, so I wouldnt expect it to hold up like a honda engine, not saying that the ecotec wont but just my opinion, of course like anything else when you get to know what it can and can't take you will be able drive it harder (like my delsol I know when and how far to push it before letting off):)
Those Honda VTEC engines are gems, 130k on our Sol and I beat the living crap out of it, good little car for $2700! The front wheel drive isn't so great, but the 30+ MPG is nice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,360 Posts
Homer said:
wouldnt it be ideal to shift at 6600? going any higher you would actually loose power asumming that if the gearing was right and when you shift you would start the next gear around 4800 rpm. am i wrong???
Going to the fuel cutoff it's hard enough to get into the next gear by 4500 RPM let alone anywheres near 4800~5000 RPM. If you were shifting like 6600 RPM I'd be surprised if you were getting into the next gear around 4000 rpm.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top