Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyones' dealer mention "secured etch"? This is when they "etch" a number onto your window(s) and if your car is stolen, this is a way to identify it. They had the cost already printed on the contract ($299). The salesman did tell me that it's optional and that insurance companies give you a discount for having it. I believe my Saab Vector has it also (BTW, does anyone know of anyone that might be interested in buying a beautiful 2003 Steel Gray/two tone leather interior - 9-3 Vector - 6 speed - loaded w/ only 9,300 miles?) Although I'm still not 100% sure that I'm going to give it up but it's one or the other (Saab or Sky).

·
Registered
45 Posts
My car came with that in an added on package that included tinted windows, paint protection, interior protection, and tire protection.. An excuse to charge me $1,600.

·
Registered
514 Posts
its one of those dealer markup items, like paint protection ($10 wax), or Scothguarding ($5 a can), they mark them up about 1000%, Expect the wax to cost $100, Scotchguarding to be $50, or more. The etched windows same deal. No one is going to steal your windows, no matter what they scare you with, and if they do, you are never going to see them again anyway. Don't fall for it. :nono:

·
Registered
514 Posts
yikes, I thought it was "only" 1000% markup, its much much worse it seems. Specifically tell them you want no ad ons when you sign for MSRP. Tintied windows on a car as small as a Sky would be around $100.

Yikes, $1600, I still can't get my head around that one for some wax, scotchguard, armor all, and tinted windows, you could get a turbo for that money :(

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
My dealer "etched" my windows without my say-so. Infact, I specifically asked to NOT have the window etching done to my car, and when I arrived at the dealership to pick it up, they were still PDI'ing the car in the service department. My salesrep took us down there to have our first look at it, and I notice this young punk applying something to the lower right-hand corner of my driver's window...:nono: I asked "what is he doing?"...and my salesrep said "Oh, he's doing the window etching". So glad to see that people LISTEN...:banghead: I immediately said to my salesrep "I asked that it not be done...I am NOT paying for it...period!". He didn't want to risk losing a sale over this, so he said "No problem...we will not charge you for the etching". So...my windows are etched...but I did not pay or sign up for the service. The good thing is...the etching is hardly noticeable. :thumbs:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Dealer charged me $99.95 for etching that wasn't even done. When I pointed it out to them that the etching was never done they sent me a refund check.
The etching on the windows is your VIN number and is primarily for the soft top rear glass window which I guess will become a hot item in the midnight auto market as they break.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Consider the cost versus the value on this. I had my windows etched in '97 for my Mustang GT. I got hit with a rock in the front window within 6 weeks and the passenger side took the same damage three months later. LO-jack is a better investment after paying my insurance deductable to replace both. Food for thought folks.
Imaged 23/06/06
BUILD WEEK! 31JUL06 – 06AUG06
Midnight Blue
Tan Leather Inserts
Tan Top
Manual
LSD
6 Disc Monsoon
Chromed 18 in wheels
Windscreen
Wheel locks
Cold Air Intake

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I have the etched windows on my Toyota Highlander. It was a car on the lot and not something I wanted. Just another dealer ripoff. When a thief strips your car he is going to sell the starter, power steering pump, brake rotors, anything but the windows with the vin ethced on it. I don't remember my insurance co giving a discount. I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
The etching company we use is actualy not bad...it costs $250 but that also includes an extra insurance so if your vehicle is stolen they will pay you $5000 on top of what your insurance company pays.

My father had his Intrepid stolen and the etching company paid him the extra $5000 and with his insurance money paid out he actually made money on the vehicle.

I am not sure if they are all like that...but yeah, it will not stop anyone from stealing your vehicle.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
GaryH said:
I have the etched windows on my Toyota Highlander. It was a car on the lot and not something I wanted. Just another dealer ripoff. When a thief strips your car he is going to sell the starter, power steering pump, brake rotors, anything but the windows with the vin ethced on it. I don't remember my insurance co giving a discount. I could be wrong.

:agree:

This is a waste of money but I know Toyota does it to there cars and so does Saturn. Just a money making thing as far as I concern. They will steel your car no matter what if they want it. A little window etching isn't going to stop them.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Our police department etches auto windows for free. Every couple, three months, they set up a drive in spot and advertise free window etching.

Jim

·
Registered
128 Posts
lizzy said:
My car came with that in an added on package that included tinted windows, paint protection, interior protection, and tire protection.. An excuse to charge me $1,600.
Tire protection?? I can understand paint and interior protection, but come on tire protection. Wow some dealers will "add" anything to make a buck

BTW maguires hot shine tire shine works the best and lasts about 1 to 2 weeks in normal weather, about a week in constant wet weather

·
Registered
514 Posts
I hope "tire protection" mean free road side service or something, sadly I seriously doubt it, let that dealer burn in the hall of shame.:mad:

·
Premium Member
1,980 Posts
If a sky is stolen, it can be tracked down VERY fast. The tracking will come to within a block of the car. I guess you have to have the service turned on though.....

·
Registered
650 Posts
Our police department etches auto windows for free. Every couple, three months, they set up a drive in spot and advertise free window etching.

Jim
Many police department in the larger cities do that. And for those who are dazzled by the unknown, window etching is so simple. It's just a stencil taped over the window and sand is blasted on the stencil. There's just not enough to it to make it worth more than maybe ten bucks.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
There are also glass companies that will do that aftermarket for a relatively small charge. It's pretty easy to do and only takes a couple of minutes.

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
I fell for this on car a long time ago, learned my lesson, never had it done again. Why would anyone even bother with the windows. They may have smashed them to take the car anyway. They're going to chop it down to the saleable parts and windows ain't one of them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sometimes there not much you can do if you show up at the dealer and they have all their windows etched. The tacked on $199 to me. Oh well.:kick:

The dealer also had LoJack installed for $699. Never had it before but after reading about it I like it. Still don't know if I paid too much.

·
Registered
577 Posts

Jim
They do this in the Richmond area as well. Worth it for free but not if your paying for it.:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts