Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently had the Check Engine light show up on my dash. The first time I brought the SKY into the dealer, and they told me that the gas cap needed to be tightened past 3 clicks (which I have always done on my cars!).
I then notice that I can't put gas in the tank without the pump shutting off each time after a few seconds (tank was about 1/4 full). Today I dropped it off at the dealer, and they informed me that I have a bad "Evaporative Vent Solenoid", which they had to order. It should arrive in a couple of days.

I just wanted to share this, as I haven't seen this problem mentioned yet by anyone else.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RMFNSKY said:
Thanks for the info. I'm coping and pasting all issues that posters have so I can have a idea if mine has a problem.
No problem. That's a good idea :thumbs: .

·
Registered
151 Posts
skl8260 said:
I've recently had the Check Engine light show up on my dash. The first time I brought the SKY into the dealer, and they told me that the gas cap needed to be tightened past 3 clicks (which I have always done on my cars!).
I had a Firebird that did that and my mechanic told me the same thing. That was one of the times that they "fixed" it. It was still doing it the day I sold it about four years later!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MyMidnightSky said:
I had a Firebird that did that and my mechanic told me the same thing. That was one of the times that they "fixed" it. It was still doing it the day I sold it about four years later!
Sheesh, it's so annoying to see that on the dash, isn't it?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Spider went down the water... er, vent spout!

I dropped the SKY off today to have the part replaced, and upon further inspection, it turns out the problem was actually a dead spider that had been blocking some tube related to the evaporative system :lol: .

Reminds me of those stories where a snake or a small woodland creature shorts out a power station and causes power outages!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Ha! A Sky brought down by a spyder! Stuff happens I guess...

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jarcher said:
Ha! A Sky brought down by a spyder! Stuff happens I guess...
Sure does! I could drive it, but it would only allow me to fill it with quick spurts of gas from a pump. I'd get about half a tank in there and give up. Of course, I had people approach me while I'm trying to do this :willy: .

·
Registered
20 Posts
If the system works the same as most cars, the solenoid is only open or venting into the engine when the car is running, otherwise it could be a hazard. In general, the service engine code is due to a leak in the line that runs to the engine/solenoid.

The most probable cause for the slow fill is that gas boils at a very low temperature, which is an issue with a low fuel level,. The tank was probably venting due to an elevated temperature caused by a low fuel level and high outside temp - just a thought.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jack B said:
If the system works the same as most cars, the solenoid is only open or venting into the engine when the car is running, otherwise it could be a hazard. In general, the service engine code is due to a leak in the line that runs to the engine/solenoid.

The most probable cause for the slow fill is that gas boils at a very low temperature, which is an issue with a low fuel level,. The tank was probably venting due to an elevated temperature caused by a low fuel level and high outside temp - just a thought.
Interesting, that makes sense. The pump would shut off almost immediately after squeezing the trigger, just as it would with a full tank.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts