Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curiuos. When choosing an automobile, most of us want to take a test drive. Heck, we even test drive cars that we have no intention of buying. Every car that I've bought ,was driven prior to purchase. Is it the style or performance that has forum members ordering cars sight-unseen? We can't even ask current Sky owners how they like their vehicle.

·
Registered
67 Posts
That's a very good question... I think the looks have a lot to do with it. But also the fact that there will be so few and those who want one kind of have to take a chance. Maybe Thats why GM plans on making so few... they don't want them sitting on lots b/c people want to test drive them but not buy them... not that I'd ever do anything like that.... :angel:

·
Registered
110 Posts
My SKY will be the third vehicle I have purchased (ordered) before I even laid eyes on one in person. The first was in 1988 when I bought a Dodge Dakota Sport Convertible Truck (I'm not a Dodge person, but the truck was great). I actually owned it before I ever saw one. I did all the paperwork and the truck was delivered the next week from another dealer. The second was in 1999 when I ordered what was then called the Saturn LS2 (later replaced by the L300). All I knew then was it was going to be the "big Saturn" so I bought one. I'll admit I saw photographs of this one before I bought it, but never in person, and certainly never drove it.

Now, comes the SKY. I put my deposit down on April 26th, having only see pre-production photos or drawings. Yes, I saw one in person in December when they trotted out one of the traveling pre-production cars. I've sat in a Solstice, but never driven one. I bought this purely because it was different.

I told my Saturn dealer in 1996 that if Saturn ever came out with a convertible, I'd buy the first one. He told me "don't hold your breath". Now, 10 years later, I'm number one on the waiting list at the same dealership for my SKY.

Nothing about how this car may drive will change how I feel about this car. And it's funny, I have absolutely NO interest in a Solstice. I can't explain it.

Still holding my breath.....

·
Registered
133 Posts
This will be the second car I will have bought without driving it. The first was my used Fiero I got on Ebay. When they first came out in 84, I they looked like it would be a fun car. But it was not in the budget at the time. Eighteen years later I was looking for a car to drive to work. I was looking on Ebay and on a fluke I checked out Fieros. Found an 88 with 20K on it with no reserve with the current bid of $4500. My thought is where can I buy a car with 20K on it for $4500. End up wining the bid at $5600. My wife and I had to drive 5 hours (one way) to yet it. The owner met us in a parking lot where I traded a check for the title and drove home. It turned out to be a great car to drive back to work. A lot of people make fun of Fieros, but I have enjoyed my car.:thumbs:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a Fiero, too, and I love it. I might have to sell it to get a Sky. I haven't driven one, nor have I driven a Solstice, yet I've been keeping track of the progress of the car ever since I first saw pictures of the Vauxhall VX Lightning. When it was rumored, then announced that Saturn would release a modified version of the design for the US market, my decision was set that I would at least set a goal to buy one.

However, I won't buy one till I drive one. It might turn out that the car feels too 'modern' for me (which seems to be the case with so many 'modern' cars on the roads these days).

·
Registered
945 Posts
None of us Solstice owners really got to drive our cars before we bought them.
Granted...a few got to Detroit and did a couple of blocks in 2nd gear.
but no one opened it up.

Trust me...you won't be disappointed.
There are quirks to the cabin (nothing major)...but overall we all love to drive..and drive..and drive our cars.

Check out our invite on a separate thread.(Hello from the other side)

We will have about 20-25 Sol's running on 03-25-06 in Eastern Ohio.
Course is 115 twisty miles...2 1/2 hours ...and any Sky-waiter is more than welcome to ride in the shotgun seat!

PM me if interested. the dinner is only $15.00

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have never bought a car without driving it... but with this one.. I will most likely be going to pontiac to try out the Solstice..

It's the only thing that I have to do before we (wife and I are both excited) commit. I'm a big guy and want to make sure that it's a car that I will enjoy. I already drive a fairly cramped car (eclipse 1999) and love it.. But you gotta be sure.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Ask me that question next fall and I'll say yes

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
remember, saturn has the 30 day guarantee.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
usmc said:
remember, saturn has the 30 day guarantee.
Is it Money back in the States??? It is just a 30 day exchange here in Canada.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
they must have done away with the money back thing. I just checked saturn.com and it says u must exchange it for another 2006

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
How will it feel

In 1968 I had a Austin Healy 100-6 from that time on I have all ways had one
Sports car, 1970 240Z (outstanding) TR4a, TVR, you get the idea. I drove the SOL same feeling.....with the SKY looking better (SOL looks alot like the new 2007 Jag two seater) but on the same platform you can't go wrong :cheers:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Drove a Solstice

bob said:
I'm curiuos. When choosing an automobile, most of us want to take a test drive. Heck, we even test drive cars that we have no intention of buying. Every car that I've bought ,was driven prior to purchase. Is it the style or performance that has forum members ordering cars sight-unseen? We can't even ask current Sky owners how they like their vehicle.
I had the opportunity to put a Solstice thru it's paces over a 10 mile twisty course. Take it from someone who presently owns a Miata and a BMW Z4 and do a lot of club driving, you won't be disappointed. I was pleasantly surprised with the Solstice performance, ride and and handling....every bit as good as the BMW. The power is so/so but adequate. I would choose the Sky for looks over all of them, and that goes for all the other roadsters on the road.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I just returned from a Pontiac dealership where I sat in a Solstice to check out if I fit in it. Leg room for me was good, but I'm not as tall as others 6.0'.Width was fine as I was worried about this as I lift wieghts for exercise.Hieght of my torso is close as I'm looking out the window approximately four inches below the top of the windshield, will probably have to recline seat abit to feel more comfortable with this, but I'm not a straight up sitting driver. I figure Sky should be similar, as for not having driven one I'm going with the imput from the Solstice people and their thoughts and experiences of driving their Sol's :) to suffice me for now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts