Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At Sunday's beach drive we had a couple of different exhaust systems on hand.
One question I missed running down was how they compare.
We should be able to avoid any NSV issues by sticking to forum handles for descriptions.
We all know what they are as they've been discussed seperately here.

Of the 3 modified cars how to they compare, using the stock exhaust as a baseline.
What's the difference is sound as well as power?
Any difference if known in where that power lies on a plot? (guesstimates are fine.)
Are exhaust (cat-back) regulated by CARB?

In the back of my head, I always liked the note of the straight 6 in TR6s, GT6s, and TR250s.
Can a 4 cylinder engine come close to that or they confined to a touch of ricey buzziness.
(of course, not that any I heard Sunday ever did that.)
More a matter of deep resonance rather than volume.
Is that a function of cylinder count and firing order, or basically a 4 cyl thing?

Can these things sound deep and strong without waking folks up for 2 blocks?

Any input, insights, or comments?

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
What makes a ricer sound so bad is the megaphone exhaust. I've got A 75 Spitfire, 4 cyl, stock exhaust that is very deep and resonant. I have a 02 Ford ranger, 4cyl, that is low and resonant. I have a 86 Maxima, 6 cyl, that is mellow till you open it up and then sounds like a tiger. So iffen you have a ricer sound on your auto it is because of the exhaust system.. Skip....mellow tones to hear the compliments at stop lites......:lol: :lol:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
I'm still waiting for the Dyno charts from my NSV. They were kind enough to give me the system for free, so I can't really be a snot and demand the charts that I did not pay for. I know they are real busy, and I do have word that they will be scanned and sent. So I am patiently waiting.

I can say that the car feels a lot more powerful after I got it back. That could just be the trauma of spending two weeks apart - but it sure seems to accelerate faster. Gas mileage seems about the same. Maybe it's more efficient and I am pushing it harder. That could be the case; I love the way it sounds when it's pushed hard from a light.

I love the look of the dual tips. The single outlet was my only "regret" about the otherwise impeccable styling on the SKY. And my tips now look "right." Looking at the car, and the dual outlets and the wide, flat tips you naturally think, "Of course it's supposed to look like that. It's obvious that it came that way from the factory." When, of course, it did not.

In terms of the sound, when you rev it up and give it lots of gas, it screams. Draws a lot of looks. If you see a car that you want to make jealous (read "Miata") take a corner at 25-30 and then floor it in 2nd gear coming out of the curve. All the eyes waiting to turn left at the light turn their heads to see what sounds so mean. When it idles it purrs. When it is winding down it makes lots of popcorn noise. And when you are cruising there is no drone problem.

If I had it to do all over again I absolutely would. And I'd probably even pay to have it done, even though I am not a big "gotta customize my car" kinda guy. I just like it. A lot.

And, when I get the Dyno results I'll be sure to post them. :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jdigiant said:
If I had it to do all over again I absolutely would. And I'd probably even pay to have it done, even though I am not a big "gotta customize my car" kinda guy. I just like it. A lot.
Did you get a chance to listen and compare to Robotech and KS exhausts.
What's the difference between the three.
(and who among you were blowing out our stereo from the front of the line?)

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
cerberus said:
Did you get a chance to listen and compare to Robotech and KS exhausts.
What's the difference between the three.
(and who among you were blowing out our stereo from the front of the line?)
Actually, you are asking the wrong guy on that one. I am mostly deaf (believe it or not.) They sounded pretty much the same - that louder, deeper sound versus the factory muffler. See what Robotech says about the sounds...

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jdigiant said:
Actually, you are asking the wrong guy on that one. I am mostly deaf (believe it or not.) They sounded pretty much the same - that louder, deeper sound versus the factory muffler. See what Robotech says about the sounds...
Ok, thanks. (ruling that exhaust out. makes you deaf....)

Also particularly interested in how that note and timbre changes under load.
A quiet rumble at a stop light looses some of it's luster when it turns into a
flock of honey bees on launch.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Okay.....

I'm sorry and my husband is in the other room, but he played a couple of the exaust sounds for me stationary and driving, and if I'm not mistaken, it was on the KappaSphere site. Performance Products then Exhaust... he just walked back in. But that's where he got it from. He was on the site most of the day (he really liked you guys)..... and I've got some plans, so we WILL be in touch, so props to us for letting everyone know! HA HA HA

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
cerberus said:
OK, so not the cylinder count. How's the stock Sky exhast note compare to your TR?
The Sky is a little bit deeper in resonance but the Spitfire also has headers, no cat [pre- emissions], and 1 1/2 inch pipes going to stock[GT-6] muffler. The GT-6 muffler is a little larger than a 4 cyl. Spitfire. But I kinda like the sound of the Sky as is. Now later on down the road I might go with some headers. But for now and little money to throw at modding I will stick with what I got......Skip...Vrrrooommmm......:cool:

·
Super Moderator
11,445 Posts
I'd say the KS exhaust and the one on my car sounded identical. Their burbled just like mine does when you come off the gas while driving. I didn't hear John's do that but then again I usually blair the radio when I'm driving and Sunday was no different. I think, from what I heard, they all have a similar sound with John's maybe being a little deeper...but not by much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts