Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if you guys just went to a local muffler shop to get your exhaust system done... or did you go to a special shop to get it done. and what the cost was. i plan on going dual exhaust and would like some feedbacks. anyone living in Murrieta area know any good shops where i can get mine done. thank

·
Registered
323 Posts
i was wondering if you guys just went to a local muffler shop to get your exhaust system done... or did you go to a special shop to get it done. and what the cost was. i plan on going dual exhaust and would like some feedbacks. anyone living in Murrieta area know any good shops where i can get mine done. thank
Getting my done tomorrow at a local Tuffy's where I actually trust the guys with the lift. I'd do it myself, but raising a car this low still troubles me...

Magnaflow single / dual tip - just over $400. ETA, about 20 minutes to install. Check out my post http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8096

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
MagnaFlow has their headquarters in Rancho Santa Margarita; Borla Performance Industries is in Oxnard.

I had my car serve as the engineering prototype for Borla. RoboTech has his car done by MagnaFlow. We are both very pleased with the results. We have custom engineered solutions that have very precisely engineered bends in all the tubing. I don't know that either company has officially introduced their custom-engineered solutions to the general market yet, so I can't quote pricing.

The other route is to go to a shop and have them bend some tubing to mount a generic muffler. While this works, you have to be careful about the local Joes just bendin' some pipe to stick it in there. They will cut through the existing system, weld in a splice, then bend up some standard pipes to make it fit. Often times this will introduce kinks into the line that will restrict flow and inibit performance. But, the local Joes will probably cost you a few hundred bucks - versus an engineered cat-back system which will probably run you several hundred bucks.

So decide what your price range is first, then go for it!

On the performance thread I have many pictures of my dual setup. You can search and find whatever you need there. RoboTech's car is written up there, too.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I had my dual outlet Magnaflow installed by a Maganaflow dealer here in Miami. You can find a Magnaflow dealer near you on the Magnaflow.com website. What they say about "kinks" in the custom bent piping is true, but you shouldn't expect tremendous HP gains from changing your muffler anyway. The benefits gained from the much freer-flowing Magnaflow far outstrip a small disruption in the flow just before the muffler. I paid just over $400 for the complete job inluding the Stainless Steel Magnaflow muffler and a pair of Magnaflow dual tips.

See the first photo in this thread for the kind of "kinks" you might get: http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7905

See this one for commentary on my experience: http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7835

·
Super Moderator
11,486 Posts
Hey, ^that car looks familiar!!!! LOL Why have you never posted that picture of your car Jon?

Like he mentioned though, I love my MagnaFlow exhaust and Jon's Borla is a nice setup too. Both very nice systems and something that you can do in your own garage if you watned to. Changing out an exhaust isn't that hard (of course I just finished an engine install in my 97 Grand Prix that I wouldn't consider that hard either, just time consuming, so take that with a grain of salt. LOL).

A muffler shop special done at a reliable shop is a great alternative too if you are just going for sound and performance. The Magnaflow exhaust system is built out of stainless steel pipe so you have a much longer life out of it than the standard steel that most muffler shops use. Also, Magnaflow's setup uses mandral bends on the corners to help flow...most muffler shops will use standard bends that will crimp the corners a bit. I doubt you'd feel a difference between the two though. Basically, think of the Magnaflow (and Borla I'd assum since Jon likes his...I just have no direct personal experiance with them is all but I know they make a quality product as well) as the refined version of what your muffler shop can do. Is it worth the extra price? Well that's up to you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts