Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
radtech said:
How would round exhaust tips look on the Sky? I'm not liking the stock rectangular tip.

I'm not too worried about the stock tips, as the stock exhaust would probably not be on the car for too terribly long (in my case, anyway...)

I despise the ugly, ricey sound of many aftermarket "fart-can" four-cylinder exhausts, but I know that I'll be using an upgraded system of some sort in my car.

Fortunately, (from what I understand anyway,) turbocharged cars tend to have a significantly quieter exhaust tone-- that would be bad news for V8's, which sound absolutely glorious at every RPM, but it's a godsend for the disgusting and embarassing sound that every 4-banger I've ever heard makes.

Sorry folks-- it's my Chevy small-block snobbery shining through. ;)

I can't wait to silence the horrific sound of that four-banger at WOT-- and I haven't even heard it yet.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
mdlestat said:
I'm not too worried about the stock tips, as the stock exhaust would probably not be on the car for too terribly long (in my case, anyway...)

I despise the ugly, ricey sound of many aftermarket "fart-can" four-cylinder exhausts, but I know that I'll be using an upgraded system of some sort in my car.

Fortunately, (from what I understand anyway,) turbocharged cars tend to have a significantly quieter exhaust tone-- that would be bad news for V8's, which sound absolutely glorious at every RPM, but it's a godsend for the disgusting and embarassing sound that every 4-banger I've ever heard makes.

Sorry folks-- it's my Chevy small-block snobbery shining through. ;)

I can't wait to silence the horrific sound of that four-banger at WOT-- and I haven't even heard it yet.
I know sound is a matter of taste, but I have to agree that some of these Coffee Can sized mufflers and tailpipes are Aweful sounding, and I have even heard some aweful sounding V8's in my time... I love the Mellow but power sound without the raspy or Noisy sounds some of todays muffler systems provide.. I remember growing up people using the Corvair Turbo mufflers on their cars because not only were they low restriction but gave a mellow sound to the exhaust... You don't have to announce "Here I Am" to the whole neighborhood every time you drive through...(well some even do that with their stereo systems) I guess if there was a Try before you buy muffler and exhaust system that maybe there would be less of these rattely tin can sounding exhaust notes... Some muffler shops will let you exchange them if they are not what you were looking for in sound quality.
I have heard some nice sounding 4 Bangers, the old MGB's are one... you just have to have a well tuned exhaust, to have a good sound, I even had a Straight 6 one time on a Jeep and I put a split header system on it with two mufflers that sounded just like it had a V8, in fact I raced this Jeep in the 6 cylinder class in the dirt drags and i was challanged tha ti had a v8 because I smoked all the other 6 cylinders there... of course in addition to the ehaust iIhad added a 4 barrel carb... hehehe....
but as I said in the beginning Exhaust sound is a matter of taste... everyone has their own idea of what sounds good....
P.S.
I just put on Dual Exhaust and twin Corvair turbo mufflers on my Corvair, sounds much better than most of these Rice Cans you hear.....(the mufflers were only 19.95 each from J.C. Whitney...the cheapest I could find otherwise was 70 bucks...

·
Registered
62 Posts
the rice burner four banger sound out of the coffee can tip is rediculous.. I hear them coming thinking they will swiftly go by.. but they make all that noise and are barely moving.. I laugh at them.

Dont worry the after market will appeal to everyones needs - just give them a little time.

Look for the major manufacturers to come out with the good stuff.. like corsa, borla, flowmaster perhaps..

·
Registered
304 Posts
Keep in mind also that GM has already announced that a performance cat-back dual exhaust (outlet) system as well as free-flow cold air intake will be available off the shelf for Sol, which should be similar offering for Sky, or as last resort, buy the Pontiac parts for the Saturn.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I personally like the stock rectangular tips.

In my opinion, the tips on the Sky look "modern", and round tips look "old school". As for myself, I'm going to go towards the modern sporty look on this car.

I'd love duals on this car. And being we'll get duals anyways when the RedLine comes out.. i'm going to be a very happy guy.

I just wish I knew when the RL will be debuting! :banghead:

·
Registered
148 Posts
nyguy said:
I'd love duals on this car. And being we'll get duals anyways when the RedLine comes out.. i'm going to be a very happy guy.

I just wish I knew when the RL will be debuting! :banghead:
Well... I heard about Sep 2006??

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Nothing date wise officially yet. We're hoping the Solstice GXP information will will be releases at SEMA in Nov officially. Which will of course hopefully translate to RL dates as well. Everyone has to keep in mind, anyhitng we're hearing now date was is unofficial. Even if you think it's coming from a very reliable source those dates might still end up being off due to any number of unforseen problems along the way.

·
Registered
554 Posts
GM will not be releasing the GXP and Redline versions prior to the IAS in Detroit come January 2006. SEMA will be releasing modified versions of the current production vehicles only. Both the Sky and Solstice high performance version will be in Detroit for the whole world to see first hand!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts