Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Sky was built last week and I was wanting everyone's opinion on the extended warrantee. What is everyone's opinion, especially with the new GM 100K mile powertrain warranty? Did ya'll buy the extended warranty?

Silver Pearl
Black/Red Leather
3 Pedals
Chrome Wheels
Monsoon 6-Disk

Hopefully it will be in Sweet Home Alabama by my birthday on the 27th !!

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
Well if you go to the Saturn web site. Saturn has just announced that they have also gone to the 5/100 warranty.. Cool uh!

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
or are you talking about a warranty past the 5/100?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
or are you talking about a warranty past the 5/100?
The 5/100 warranty is only for the powertrain. Everything else (non-powertrain items) still fall under the 3/36 warranty. So if something goes wrong with your A/C, electrical system, or anything else not related to the powertrain after the 3/36 has expired...this is where the extended warranty would kick in.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Do you know what they're charging for the full extended warranty now?

I imagine its reduced to reflect the extension to 5/100K for the powertrain?
Thanks

·
Registered
144 Posts
The 5/100 warranty is only for the powertrain. Everything else (non-powertrain items) still fall under the 3/36 warranty. So if something goes wrong with your A/C, electrical system, or anything else not related to the powertrain after the 3/36 has expired...this is where the extended warranty would kick in.

I must say that 50 Times a day at work, you sounded pretty pro right there!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My sales guy quoted me the following for the bumper to bumper extended warrantee:

$0 Deductible : 6 year/75000 = $1570 6year/10000 = $2410
$50 Deductible: 6 year/75000 = $1445 6year/10000 = $2085
$100 Deductible: 6 year/75000 = $1335 6 year/10000 = $1855

I had asked him for the 4 and 5 year, but he sent me 6. I think I'm going to pass on it, because as I understand it, if you miss a scheduled service, it voids the warrantee. I may be incorrect about this, but that's what I've heard.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Mac,

I would pass on that, too.

Put that Extended Warranty money in the bank for the first 3 year, 36,000 and powertrain 5/100K---and I'll betcha whats left pays for a lot of broken radio knobs and Air conditioner parts when something other than the Powertrain breaks between years 3 and 6...don't you think you'd want to take the COMPANY'S side of that bet?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SkyBos

I agree. I'm going to save that money as well. As my better half says, insurance companies don't offer them in order to loose money.....:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Geico has a $5/mo extended warranty for the Sky if you don't want to go with the factory warranty, but would like to reduce the downside risk at a low cost. You have to enroll before your car is one year old, and the plan is bumper-to-bumper including everything but consumables, $250 deductable, and can be purchased up to 7 years or 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
I never get it. I was told by a salesperson long ago it was a waste of money. But if you wanted you could always add it 2/3 years down the line. This is my opinion only.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
SkyBos

I agree. I'm going to save that money as well. As my better half says, insurance companies don't offer them in order to loose money.....:thumbs:
I think your better half has the right idea. But, if you change your mind after you buy the car, I believe you can purchase the extended warranty anytime before the 3/36 runs out.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I never get it. I was told by a salesperson long ago it was a waste of money. But if you wanted you could always add it 2/3 years down the line. This is my opinion only.

:thumbs: I agree... the money not spent on insurance will usually take care of minor repairs. In 3 years/36,000 miles you should have uncovered any manufacturer defects...:thumbs:

·
Registered
118 Posts
I work for Saturn and I can honestly say that even with the stellar service record extended warranties are a must. I hva epurchased them from the time I was first driving and of the 3 vehicles that I own I have one on every. You do not have to have it serviced by the dealer either as stated earlier in the thread. It's to me the same as having full insurance coverage but a lot cheaper...would you go without that? In parting I must say what I have been told myself, "The scientists at NASA thought the space shuttle program was perfect...."

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Mac,

I would pass on that, too.

Put that Extended Warranty money in the bank for the first 3 year, 36,000 and powertrain 5/100K---and I'll betcha whats left pays for a lot of broken radio knobs and Air conditioner parts when something other than the Powertrain breaks between years 3 and 6...don't you think you'd want to take the COMPANY'S side of that bet?
I agree! Then if nothing goes wrong, you have your downpayment for a redline

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had a Chevy truck with extended warranty. At 39,000 miles, the AC had total failure and at 41,000 miles, the auto transmission went out. The warranty paid for itself with either of those two events.

I had a non- manufacturer warranty I got ripped off on.

I have had manufacturer's warranty on my cars since. If nothing else, there is a sense of security I like having with the extendeds. They have been no hassle and I can plan and control my costs this way.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Jim

·
Registered
388 Posts
Our extended warranty was $2,400. That covered 2 years after the standard 3 year/36,000. We didn't think 2 extras years of coverage was worth $2,400 so we didn't get it. If are car started having a bunch of problems close to the 3rd year we could always add it on later.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Our extended warranty was $2,400. That covered 2 years after the standard 3 year/36,000. We didn't think 2 extras years of coverage was worth $2,400 so we didn't get it. If are car started having a bunch of problems close to the 3rd year we could always add it on later.

:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:

100%. Expecially now that the power train is for 5 years.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yeah I would have to say that is a ripoff. Sounds like you had an overzealous finance manager.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts