Saturn Sky Forum banner

81 - 100 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Love that color
From the pics it’s not a automatic
Good eye, edited post to reflect confusion.
Searched VIN came up with the below but no date is associated w/the information:

MICHAEL EBERLE purchased a 2009 SATURN SKY

Address:211 Beverly Ave, Morton, IL 61550-1057

Phone: (309) 694-0446 VIN: 1G8MD35B19Y107956

·
Registered
998 Posts
VIN 1G8MD35B39Y107831 09, 2.4, Manual, 70,035 Miles, Price?? Schuylkill Haven, PA
https://harrisburg.craigslist.org/ctd/d/schuylkill-haven-2009-saturn-sky-hydro/6788884004.html

Bruce's Auto Mall VIN 1G8MD35B39Y107831

IN 2009 GM OFFERED THE HYDRO BLUE EDITION SATURN SKY. ONLY 89 CARS WERE BUILT WITH THIS PACKAGE. 49 CARS WERE THE REDLINE EDITION AND 40 WERE THE BASE. THIS CAR IS ONE OF 40 BUILT

THIS FIRST OWNER HAD THIS CAR FOR 9 YEARS. THE SECOND OWNER ONLY HAD IT 5 MONTHS AND SOLD IT TO US.
THE CAR HAS 70,000 MILES BUT LOOKS LIKE IT HAS 10,000 MILES. THIS WAS A GARAGE KEPT DRY WEATHER CAR!!!
THE HYDRO BLUE EDITION IS VERY HARD TO FIND NOT MANY OF THEM GET SOLD. DON'T MISS THIS ONE!!!

·
Registered
747 Posts
sad

makes me sad that the prices are going so low. but on the flip side maybe I'll be able to buy my son one when he turns 16 (in 13 years lol)

·
Registered
17,336 Posts
makes me sad that the prices are going so low. but on the flip side maybe I'll be able to buy my son one when he turns 16 (in 13 years lol)
Aside from family emergencies....I didn't buy a Sky to sell it later. I love those members who invested thousands of dollars in upgrades and a year later...SELL! SELL! SELL! I cannot see myself selling my car unless some fool offers me a ridiculous amount of money.

·
Super Moderator
5,136 Posts
Aside from family emergencies....I didn't buy a Sky to sell it later. I love those members who invested thousands of dollars in upgrades and a year later...SELL! SELL! SELL! I cannot see myself selling my car unless some fool offers me a ridiculous amount of money.
Many people do not buy for long term use.

I work with a guy who has owned more than 200 cars and over 150 motorcycles.

I have a friend who used to buy a new car every 18-24 months. He tried leasing thinking that the up-front penalty would slow him down, but it didn't work. He finally just grew out of it.

·
Registered
17,336 Posts
Many people do not buy for long term use.

I work with a guy who has owned more than 200 cars and over 150 motorcycles.

I have a friend who used to buy a new car every 18-24 months. He tried leasing thinking that the up-front penalty would slow him down, but it didn't work. He finally just grew out of it.
Think about this...200 cars...has owned. How old is this person? That means he has probably bought at least 2 cars a year and sold them. 150 motorcycles? There seems to be a inconsistency. Buying and selling within annual periods. Something does not add up.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
$13k for manual base with 70k miles and you think thats low?

I paid $14k for a auto redline with 40k miles

·
Super Moderator
5,136 Posts
Think about this...200 cars...has owned. How old is this person? That means he has probably bought at least 2 cars a year and sold them. 150 motorcycles? There seems to be a inconsistency. Buying and selling within annual periods. Something does not add up.
He is in his late 50's.

There have been times he has shown up at work with a different car each month, and some he only keeps for a month.

I think he gets more attached to the motorcycles and keeps them longer, so hasn't turned them over as quickly. Of course they also take up less space.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I still have mine, now with 6200 miles on her. Mine's a redline manual. I'm not really concerned about the prices. They are what they are. What's intriguing me these days is whether or not anyone will know how to drive a car, let along a manual transmission in another 20 years? I'm comforted by the fact that I know I will. If they let me...

Attachments

·
Registered
17,336 Posts
I would like to think that most of us bought these cars as KEEPERS. It still gets the oohs and aahs even after 13 yrs. Timeless design but built like $hit.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Mine came off the assembly line in May 2009, near the end of the run. As a long-time forum member, I'm aware of the many potential issues with the Kappa's. I think since my car was a late build and its low milage, so far I've escaped most of the issues. I've been thinking about a tune on the car but I've kept it stock so far so I'm not sure if its a good idea.

·
Super Moderator
11,115 Posts
I'm one of those who bought one, did some mods, and sold it a year later MM. I had no family emergencies but my plan to keep my Grand Prix as a daily driver didn't pan out and I was required to get something "practical" and leave it stock a my plan B. I sold my Sky and hated every moment of it but I needed a truck so I did what I had to do. It was never part of the plan to get rid of it.

Which is why, 7 years later, I basically bought it's clone and continued to do to it now what I wanted to do to that one then.

I'm with Davhamm on this one. $13K for a 70k mile base is not low. I paid $11,500 for mine with 44k on it 5 years ago.

From what we've seen, I think prices are starting to stabilize in the $5-$7k area. Only fairly hard driven ones are going for less. (100K miles or more).

·
Registered
66 Posts
I know it's not Hydro Blue, but I paid $12k 3 months ago for my 2009 Red Line SE ruby red 5M. It's a one owner in mint condition with 48000 miles, a Florida car that never went out in the rain let alone snow etc. $13k for a 70000 mile base car sounds too much to me too.

·
Registered
747 Posts

considering I'm the idiot that spend 25K on mine in 2012 with 9K miles on it, both of those prices Specifically for the hydro are low to me :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
I would like to think that most of us bought these cars as KEEPERS. It still gets the oohs and aahs even after 13 yrs. Timeless design but built like $hit.
Mine’s a keeper. I like modding it—but I keep all the stock parts.
It I disagree with you MM.
1. The “design” (I think you are referring to the styling alone) is great, but borrows heavily on many classic sports car cues (why not?). It is not the only appealing aspect of the car, though.
I appreciate that it has double wishbones all-around. Few cars I can afford have this. The chassis is stiff—particularly for a roofless car. Amazingly so, IMHO. More hp is always welcome, but the turbo outgunned competitors pretty well. She’s much more than just pretty.
2. Build quality. I believe the kappas are typical of GM’s products—which means they are reasonable for the price point. These cars were a balancing act between performance, appearance, practicality (some), maintainability (etc), and price.
Few roadsters can match it for performance/price. A lot of the problems allotted to build quality (maybe or maybe not the ones you are thinking of) are really the results of design compromise. (E.g., the top is cuddly, but it is substantial and looks good. Or, the hood is thin and shakes, but is is not structural, and is light weight, Or, the manual transmission is not silky smooth, but it is borrowed from a truck and can contend with the torque, and keeps it affordable...)

Curious... why do you think it is built like $hit?
Because I do not.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Mine’s a keeper. I like modding it—but I keep all the stock parts.
It I disagree with you MM.
1. The “design” (I think you are referring to the styling alone) is great, but borrows heavily on many classic sports car cues (why not?). It is not the only appealing aspect of the car, though.
I appreciate that it has double wishbones all-around. Few cars I can afford have this. The chassis is stiff—particularly for a roofless car. Amazingly so, IMHO. More hp is always welcome, but the turbo outgunned competitors pretty well. She’s much more than just pretty.
2. Build quality. I believe the kappas are typical of GM’s products—which means they are reasonable for the price point. These cars were a balancing act between performance, appearance, practicality (some), maintainability (etc), and price.
Few roadsters can match it for performance/price. A lot of the problems allotted to build quality (maybe or maybe not the ones you are thinking of) are really the results of design compromise. (E.g., the top is cuddly, but it is substantial and looks good. Or, the hood is thin and shakes, but is is not structural, and is light weight, Or, the manual transmission is not silky smooth, but it is borrowed from a truck and can contend with the torque, and keeps it affordable...)

Because I do not.
Top is “fiddly,” not “cuddly”!
Dang autocorrect!

·
Registered
17,336 Posts
I disagree with you MM.
Because I do not.[/QUOTE

1. The rear seals leaked...recall #1
2. The rear wheels rubbed against the rear wheel liners. recall#2
3. The convertible top...aside from the wrinkles on the buttress, the liner would begin having holes. That is why
there are 2 convertible tops. recall#3
4. Saggy seat cushion. It was not a recall but u could have your cushion seat replaced under the warranty....but
the new cushions did not improve. Still saggy seat.
5. Of course, ignition and PPS recalls...
6. Catalytic converter on first cars (cannot remmember which Vin# it went to)That is why the converter warranty went to 10 yrs. Mine went at 28K miles.
7. The list goes on...this is just part of the build...but love the design.
Forgot to mention the flooding of the the trunk after a rain...water remains a problem if u drive your car in a rain...the list goes on...and on. Water condensation in tail lights.

POINT PROVEN

Flashy..u did not own this car in 2006.

More history...when we bought these cars (2006)....the warranty was 3yrs/36 thousand miles...but it was registered as a 2007. In 2007 GM changed there warranty to 5yrs/50,000. (because of the competition). Anyway, many bought the extended warranty from GM. GM had to refund us a pro=rated check.

81 - 100 of 115 Posts