Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just for the record...a lot of questions regarding oil....I looked under the hood of my REDLINE...The oil cap has a MOBIL ONE logo on it...You'd think that it comes facotry supplied with MOBIL ONE...

Will take a pic if anyone wants...

·
Registered
18,022 Posts
that is interesting...but I recommend Mobil 1 for all high reving engines. Definitely put it in your roadster also. If u read the latest clip on oils...synthetics r better

·
Registered
284 Posts
factory oil

I'm going with Royal Purple the stats look way better than Mobil 1

·
Registered
444 Posts
Just for the record...a lot of questions regarding oil....I looked under the hood of my REDLINE...The oil cap has a MOBIL ONE logo on it...You'd think that it comes facotry supplied with MOBIL ONE...

Will take a pic if anyone wants...
Pitcom was at the factory and asked the question. They said that NO it did not have Mobil 1 synthetic oil in it and that they were getting filled with regular oil.

FYI

·
Registered
653 Posts
That doesn't make any sense at all. They aren't going to put a Mobil 1 cap on it, if they aren't putting Synthetic oil in from the get-go. I'm betting that whoever he talked to, didn't really know what they were talking about, OR thought they were discussing the base SKY, and not the Redline.

·
Registered
444 Posts
That doesn't make any sense at all. They aren't going to put a Mobil 1 cap on it, if they aren't putting Synthetic oil in from the get-go. I'm betting that whoever he talked to, didn't really know what they were talking about, OR thought they were discussing the base SKY, and not the Redline.
I would think that with Pitcom having the first RL and never owning a regular Sky, his questions would have been very clear on which model he was refering to being RL specific.

Pitcom also changed his oil and said that there was no way that it was synthetic.

I can not believe that Pitcom's car came with regular and now they are shipping them with Synthetic??

Having said this, I was always under the impression that the 2.0l turbos were going to have Mobil 1 Synthetic in them...

Confused....

·
Registered
166 Posts
For break in regular oil is technically better than synthetic because it's not as thin. After 500 miles I'd go with synthetic though to be sure. I don't understand why they aren't telling people that it's not synthetic from the start though...

·
Registered
653 Posts
I would think that with Pitcom having the first RL and never owning a regular Sky, his questions would have been very clear on which model he was refering to being RL specific.

Pitcom also changed his oil and said that there was no way that it was synthetic.

I can not believe that Pitcom's car came with regular and now they are shipping them with Synthetic??
I don't understand how Pitcom would have been able to tell the difference between regular and synthetic. Once it's out of the bottle, it all looks the same to me.

For break in regular oil is technically better than synthetic because it's not as thin. After 500 miles I'd go with synthetic though to be sure. I don't understand why they aren't telling people that it's not synthetic from the start though...
Says who?? My ION Redline came with Synthetic straight from the factory. It's never had anything else in it. I've always been told that if you are planning to run synthetic in it, it's better to have it start that way from the very beginning, then to have to drain the whole system out, and change it over to synthetic. Synthetic oil isn't necessarly any 'thinner' than dino oil, it's just made from a different material. Technically, synthetic is slightly more viscous, and should be an even better choice for the break-in period, as it will provide even better protection against glazing.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I don't understand how Pitcom would have been able to tell the difference between regular and synthetic. Once it's out of the bottle, it all looks the same to me.

Ask him, not me?

Do not shoot the messenger:nono:

·
Registered
653 Posts
LOL, I know, it's just that several people have commented about how he could even tell if it was synthetic or not, and to my knowledge, he hasn't answered anybody so far. No proof for his claim.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitcom View Post
I changed my oil SKYGAZR and it definately was not synthetic. But even the people at my dealer thought it was supposed to be mobile 1.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Yeah, I know he's said that, but what I want to know is HOW does he know the difference? Did they test the oil or something? I can't tell the difference between synthetic and regular oil just by looking at it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
royal purple's the way to go IMO

I'm going with Royal Purple the stats look way better than Mobil 1

:agree: :agree:

Me too. Coming from industry, i've seen Royal Purple have some pretty amazing results. When we've changed from some conventional oils and even some synthetics to Royal Purple on our big machines and gear boxes (that cost way more than cars) the temps have lowered >60F sometimes and it usually reduces energy consumption 6-10%. Granted, Mobil 1 is some friggin' awesome oil too, but it hasn't given us the same magnitude of temp, vibration, and and energy reduction as royal purple. I don't think M1 has as good of a polyalyolefin base and additive package as Royal Purple. Just my 2c worth.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts